Resources question

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

mdoolitt

Resources question

Post by mdoolitt »

Hi, I hate to stoop to this level, but I have 1 spaceport where construction has been stalled for a year due to a krypton shortage. Is there a way to edit the save file to add resources to a base?

I tried using the Game Editor, but there didn't seem to be a way to edit at that level of detail. Maybe I'm missing something obvious?
elanaagain

RE: Resources question

Post by elanaagain »

Tried that as well - no way to add resources - not even to planets. Only work around is to use the editor to erase the base and then add the completed base. Its sad that that mighty empires are incapable to get resources from mines to the base. Something about the delivery system of resources is flawed. I still think a set of transports controlled by the STATE, owned by the STATE is the best 'fix' for this game crippling 'feature. Pirates and corporatist governments can. Why not the rest of us?
USA = Corporatist Serfdom of America: free range surf technology
KAHUNA

Post by KAHUNA »

Use the editor to add kryton to the nearest gas planet to that spaceport.Then add a gas mining ship using the editor at that planet and it should go to the nearest spaceport when it's full and that may solve your crisis.
Lucian

Post by Lucian »

I still think a set of transports controlled by the STATE, owned by the STATE is the best 'fix' for this game crippling 'feature. Pirates and corporatist governments can. Why not the rest of us?

Agreed, irrespective of whether the game needs this fix because of resource pathing problems or not (and it does), we should have access to state owned transports it we want them and are willing to pay for them ourselves. Why not?
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Lucian
I still think a set of transports controlled by the STATE, owned by the STATE is the best 'fix' for this game crippling 'feature. Pirates and corporatist governments can. Why not the rest of us?

Agreed, irrespective of whether the game needs this fix because of resource pathing problems or not (and it does), we should have access to state owned transports it we want them and are willing to pay for them ourselves. Why not?

Nothing stopping you from adding cargo bays and extractors to a state type design and ordering around. I may very well test this theory and see if it works.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Lucian

Post by Lucian »

Hmm, never thought of that, I'd be interested to know if your tests work.
KAHUNA

Post by KAHUNA »

Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

ORIGINAL: Lucian

You player can cheat this, but not the AI. This made the game more easyer for you then it allready is.
elanaagain

Post by elanaagain »

I did create some DD with cargo bays, mining engines, etc. It was a nightmare in organizing them because they kept following military logic, not resource logic. It does work - but requires massive babysitting.
elanaagain

Post by elanaagain »

@ kahuna how do you add resources to a planet... i don't see how to do that with the game editor... what am i missing?
KAHUNA

Post by KAHUNA »

ORIGINAL: elanaagain

@ kahuna how do you add resources to a planet... i don't see how to do that with the game editor... what am i missing?

Open the editor,click on the planet you want to add the resources to.There should be a spot in the box showing what's there already and a drop down menu of stuff to add.I don't think any planets will hold more that 5 resources.Add the ones you want and click the planet again and voila!![:)]
mdoolitt

Post by mdoolitt »

ORIGINAL: KAHUNA

Use the editor to add kryton to the nearest gas planet to that spaceport.Then add a gas mining ship using the editor at that planet and it should go to the nearest spaceport when it's full and that may solve your crisis.
Thanks, that was a great idea.

I did sort it out using state-owned mining ships eventually. The thing about the state-owned ships is that they always return to the nearest starport, so you're out of luck trying to use them for a new colony.
KAHUNA

Post by KAHUNA »

ORIGINAL: mdoolitt

ORIGINAL: KAHUNA

Thanks, that was a great idea.

I did sort it out using state-owned mining ships eventually. The thing about the state-owned ships is that they always return to the nearest starport, so you're out of luck trying to use them for a new colony.
Glad you liked it.Using the editor can be useful for all sorts of shortages.I will usually add a few much needed materials to whatever planet needs them for their builds.Not all the time but when I run out of patience and want to move things forward a bit I find it handy[;)]
elanaagain

Post by elanaagain »

@kahuna Thanks for tip on a way to use the gme editor that I was unaware of. I used the main window (which lists all the types of objects), but never thought to click on an object already there on the map.. Thanks again.
KAHUNA

Post by KAHUNA »

ORIGINAL: elanaagain

@kahuna Thanks for tip on a way to use the gme editor that I was unaware of. I used the main window (which lists all the types of objects), but never thought to click on an object already there on the map.. Thanks again.

You're welcome!Always glad to help[:)]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”