Logistics and Support Units and movement

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

BeirutDude

Logistics and Support Units and movement

Post by BeirutDude »

I know few would have "fun" playing this scenario, but ever think about how the free wheeling logistics and support rules of war games allow for a distorted view of how "easy" it is to move units around the battle field. IMHO it would be interesting to see a game where as the Divisional Commander/Staff you also had to move the support units ensure enough supply/ammo/POL and other support for the operation. Minutia like moving the surgical unit to a position to be of value (or front line morale suffers), if an older game (WWII) the veterinary unit(or the horses/mules get sick), and the Battalion, Brigade/Regt/Divisional Organic supply let alone the Bakers, Kitchens, Psych Ops, etc. [:@]. Then move it all down the road and still get the combatants where they need to be and properly supported. I know no one would play the scenario more than once (unless they really want to be on a staff) but it would be interesting to see what a full move entails, not just pushing that CCB Counter three hexes. We all read the histories and the disasters like the crowded Ardennes road net, but then we move the units with some abstract road congestion rule or Headquarter's stacking/range rule to make it easy.

So does anyone agree that wargaming largely leaves us with distorted views of what is possible with respect to unit movement? Or am I off base? Anyway just some rambling on a rainy day...
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
Kuokkanen

RE: Logistics and Support Units and movement

Post by Kuokkanen »

At least Battle Isle serie has support units on the map as counters. One hauls fuel, other one ammunition (is armed too), and one fills up casualties. That still leaves plenty of abstraction: Munitions Transport has only one value for ammunition it carries which is useable for all the different weapons from machine gun to missile launchers.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

Never played the Battle Isle series, sounds interesting.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

I think all wargames have to abstract some features or the player gets bogged down in micromanagement. WitP is the most supply / fuel intensive game I have seen. Having to transport all over the pacific is logistically challenging and not for the faint of heart.

A stat I found very interesting that in WW2, for the US at least, for every frontline soldier there 8 guys in a support role passing the beans, bullets and fuel along to the frontline. Not to mention the mail, medical, etc...

I doubt too many players want to roleplay the part of a supply puke...just my 2cents.
No problem Chief!
catwhoorg

Post by catwhoorg »

You simply have to abstract it to some degree.

Otherwise playing a fairly small engagement would be so time consuming it would require a team of players to manage the details. Much like in real life actually...
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

A stat I found very interesting that in WW2, for the US at least, for every frontline soldier there 8 guys in a support role passing the beans, bullets and fuel along to the frontline. Not to mention the mail, medical, etc...

I doubt too many players want to roleplay the part of a supply puke...just my 2cents.
You simply have to abstract it to some degree.

Otherwise playing a fairly small engagement would be so time consuming it would require a team of players to manage the details. Much like in real life actually...

Exactly, but does the abstract nature of movement, supply, & support lead to a simplified view of how long it takes to move real units. That's why I said no one would play it more than once.

Return to “General Discussion”