Question regarding fighters and bombers....

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

keet1

Question regarding fighters and bombers....

Post by keet1 »

Though I am not new to this game I certainly am new to some concepts as my children don't allow me to play as often as I wish(boo hoo)and there are certain strategies that I have not really tested until recently (so much depth here).

Anyway, my question is about fighters and bombers. I have the necessary tech and ship size and have custom designed my carriers. I have also upgraded the fighters and bombers from the carriers due to my upgraded tech. However, I do not see any way to choose the balance between fighters or bombers. Sure I can launch and recall fighters and bombers separately but is there a way to make my carriers carry ALL fighters or ALL bombers?

Right now they always seem to carry a 50/50 mix of each. Is there a way to change this?

Am I missing something, is this a bug, or is this WAD?

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. Great job Matrix, this game is stellar(pardon the pun), please don't stop patching and don't ever stop expanding this game. You have my money for life

[&o] *keet1 throws endless supply of cash at Matrix Games for being awesome and stuff!!!
Keith Malinowski
MarQan

RE: Question regarding fighters and bombers....

Post by MarQan »

The only way I've found yet is doing it manually, and even then after they get destroyed, the automatic rebuild will aim for 50/50 ratio.
Although iirc there was a way to turn off automatic fighter building in Legends... maybe.

Adding a fighter/bomber management in the Ship and Base Screen under Docking Bays and/or Construction Yards tab would be much help.. or even a new tab for Fighter Bays.

Maybe we can edit a txt file to change this... I hope someone has an idea.
iz aculi gubi
Fenrisfil

Post by Fenrisfil »

Sadly it's not a feature that was worked in to the design. I think it would have been nice to have fighter bays, bomber bays and mixed bays as options on the ships. The single type bays could maybe be half capacity (one fighter or bomber) and slightly over half size so there is a sacrifice if you decide to focus your research.
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2ghz, 16gb ram, 64bit Windows 7, Radeon HD6900.
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

keet1, yes you can do this.

First thing to do is go into the 'empire and policy settings' and under the research and design section toggle 'automatically upgrade fighters when not in battle' to off. This will override the automatic rebuilding which can otherwise cancel your manual orders but be aware that you will now have to order the building of fighters/bombers for all ships/bases.

To manually build you need to select each ship or base separately (as far as I know) and then click the purple fighter icon in the selection window. Once at the 'fighter management' screen you can click for fighter or bomber until carrier is full. Repeat for each ship/base. [:)]
MarQan

Post by MarQan »

Unfortunately that doesn't work either. Even when Automatic Update is unchecked, the fighters get rebuilt and the automatic building aims for 50/50 ratio.
iz aculi gubi
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

Well it has worked for me in my current game. I do remember having problems in the past. Have you tried this recently?
MarQan

Post by MarQan »

Yes, I tested it with a few new games just after I read your suggestion, and some now as well just to be sure.
The best scenario I got: the fighters only got rebuilt when the carrier is out of battle.
Sometimes it started building during battle as well.

Also I'd like to include this special carrier design with side-thrusters:
Attachments
20130618_101006.jpg
20130618_101006.jpg (686.91 KiB) Viewed 115 times
iz aculi gubi
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

If you have change the policy setting (... and applied it), then manually deleted all your fighters and given manual build orders for replacements I do not understnad why it will not work for you. I assure you that it does for me. Perhaps you should post your savegame in tech support as a bug?

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”