Is there a timeline

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rossj

Is there a timeline

Post by Rossj »

Is there a timeline for when the patch process will be essentially completed with respect to
1. game mechanic functionality,
2. map,
3. OOBs,
4. AI,
5. scenarios, in particular a Coral Sea Campaign Game?
n01487477

RE: Is there a timeline

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: Rossj

Is there a timeline for when the patch process will be essentially completed with respect to
2. map,
3. OOBs,
4. AI,
Hopefully never, a game of this enormous scale will never be completely 100% done ... this game was released back in July, 2009 and through the magnificent efforts of volunteers and MichaelM it continues to be supported and enhanced.

Mechanics - basically done.
map - done.
OOB - still being fine turned by AndyM and others
AI - Andy continues his fine efforts
Coral sea will never be enhanced as the AI can not function properly with it.

You wanna play or just sit waiting forever? And there is always the editor if you don't like it or scenario's made by enthusiasts ..
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

2. map,
3. OOBs,
4. AI,
Why?

MichaelM and Andy are doing great stuff [&o], why would anyone want that to stop?
Pax
Rossj

Post by Rossj »

ORIGINAL: n01487477

2. map,
3. OOBs,
4. AI,
Hopefully never, a game of this enormous scale will never be completely 100% done ... this game was released back in July, 2009 and through the magnificent efforts of volunteers and MichaelM it continues to be supported and enhanced.

map - done.

You wanna play or just sit waiting forever? And there is always the editor if you don't like it or scenario's made by enthusiasts ..

Some aspects of the design are finite...
The map is done...ok
OOB...fine tuning..ok, but I think there shoud be a vision of what degree of accuracy/granualarity of the OOB is genuine value added to the simulation. When that is decided in some fashion, the update should occur once a year...ultimately, the OOB has to be 99% where it should be.
AI...if there ever going to be a WITP II, this is where the effort should be dedicated IMHO
Scenarios...I've seen a May 42 Campaign Scenario on the mod page as well as improvements to the existing scenarios. What I don't get is why are they not included as an official update to the game as opposed to a mod?
Game mechanics...basically done?...Yet I am seeing discussions about changing supply and shipping levels

My point is there should be a vision/aimpoint of where the game is going; not to the exclusion of modding, but not solely based on modding either

AI...
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

Ross,
The game is extremely playable in it's current form. It's even more playable if you use michaelm's beta, but the beta isn't at all necessary to actually play and enjoy a game. If you are waiting for the game to be perfect, and for every bug and anomaly to be fixed by the devs (or by michealm, which amounts to the same thing these days) then you may end up waiting forever. This game is huge, but even so most of the bugs have still been addressed by now. The game does have a few flaws, but given its antiquated engine it probably always will. Overall though, it's a great game and is very worth playing at this point.
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: n01487477
2. map,
3. OOBs,
4. AI,

map - done.

Some aspects of the design are finite...
The map is done...ok
OOB...fine tuning..ok, but I think there shoud be a vision of what degree of accuracy/granualarity of the OOB is genuine value added to the simulation. When that is decided in some fashion, the update should occur once a year...ultimately, the OOB has to be 99% where it should be.
Isn't it 99% where is should be already?
AI...if there ever going to be a WITP II, this is where the effort should be dedicated IMHO
Who? There are no dev's, no henderson field, no gary grigsby - just Michael on his lonesome with the others I've mentioned before.
Scenarios...I've seen a May 42 Campaign Scenario on the mod page as well as improvements to the existing scenarios.
Once again there are no official workers now, just players. These updates are done by them, use them at your leisure. They could be included but why do they have to be? And yes, sometimes in the past they have been...
What I don't get is why are they not included as an official update to the game as opposed to a mod?
You have a problem with downloading basically what amounts to a DLC which is offered for free but with every other game company costs you? Is not hard to install and yet you want an official seal of approval... On a game that is around 5 years old and is still supported?
Game mechanics...basically done?...Yet I am seeing discussions about changing supply and shipping levels
The amount of bugs Vs user error is very low. Michael fixes any issues fairly quickly and this is complexity on an old game engine.
My point is there should be a vision/aimpoint of where the game is going; not to the exclusion of modding, but not solely based on modding either

AI...

See you in a month when you happen to come back and honor us with your divine wisdom...

Muppet.
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

I'm assuming you aren't very clear on the history of this game, its been superbly used for many years, has been massively updated by a group who wore themselves out in the process, and is now being supported by a few people who seem to give of their time incredibly graciously - and then there is michalem who should be on a huge great pedestal for the work he does.

The problem is your postings might be appropriate to a newish game that was still being supported by the company itself and a team of paid developers. Instead they read as somewhat ungracious, hence the response you are getting.

Chill, enjoy and be thankful for a superb game.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
Rossj

Post by Rossj »

I've been playing wargames (board/computer) for five decades
Pac War, Uncommon Valor, WITP, and WITP AE for thousands of hours
WITP AE is a work of art, a masterpiece, in a class by itself
My comments were not to insinuate that there is a problem with it or that the game is unplayable
Nor were they meant to show a lack of profound appreciation for those who are currently making the improvements that are being made
The point that I am trying to make is that the various scenario mods (like the May 42 scenario), OOB updates, etc should be packaged together as a version update vs free form mods--use em if you want to. Either they are a more accurate portrayal of the war and are within the context of the game design or they aren't.

Thanks Roger for a civil response. I should chill.

Return to “Tech Support”