Getting my feet wet at Guadalcanal - Buckaroo(A) vs Gebede(J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

buckaroo13

Getting my feet wet at Guadalcanal - Buckaroo(A) vs Gebede(J)

Post by buckaroo13 »

After a long time away from the original WiTP I decided to pony up and join the big boys in WiTP:AE. So far I’m having a blast but wanted to ease back into PbEmail. I didn’t feel I was ready for the full campaign however I did feel more than ready to take on a “smaller” scenario like Guadalcanal.

Gabede kindly volunteered to play the Japanese to my greenhorn Americans.

So if you’d like to follow along with me, and probably laugh at me, as an inexperienced noob tried to lead the Allies to victory in the Solomons please read on, gentle reader, read on!

I don’t want to inundate this thread with reams of battle results so I’ll try to keep them to a minimum with only the interesting bits!

Now, onto the battle.

Allied opening moves.and strategic thoughts.

Looking at the layout of everything on turn 1, August 6th, I need to Consider my objectives. Basically I need to take and hold Lunga and Tulagi from the Japanese. They seem to be worth a ton of victory points and, frankly, they are the historical targets on the Allies. I already control Port Moresby and Milne Bay, both are worth a lot to the Japanese if they can capture them.

The Scenario starts out with the allied Landing force already on it’s way to Lunga covered by my three carriers. No point in reinventing the wheel so I leave the invasion force on it’s original course. I slightly change the course of my carriers to make them quite not as predictable.

Otherwise I stand down most of my aircraft or set them to training until I can come to grips with the supply situation. Supply seems low to start with and I don’t want to run out at an inoportune time.

I do start loading some transports immediately so that I can get supply to Port Moresby and Lunga Once I capture it)

besides the odd recon nothing much happens until...

Aug 8th. D Day at Lunga and Tulagi.

4 Japanese Cruisers make a stab at my landing force at Tulagi but encounter a small task force of a US light cruiser and 2 destroyers. The results are predictable.and ugly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Tulagi at 114,137, Range 4,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Aoba, Shell hits 1
CA Kinugasa, Shell hits 1
CA Furutaka, Shell hits 2
CA Kako

Allied Ships
CLAA San Juan, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Monssen
DD Buchanan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The San Jaun doesn’t die in vain as they prevent the Japanese cruisers from getting to the vulnerable Transports.

Meanwhile at Milne Bay a small force of Japanese cruisers makes its appearance, shelling the island and damaging some of the planes there.

Night Naval bombardment of Milne Bay at 101,133

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk IA: 6 damaged
Kittyhawk IA: 1 destroyed on ground

Japanese Ships
CA Chokai
CL Tatsuta
CL Tenryu

Allied ground losses:
15 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 11
Port hits 5
Port supply hits 1

Also apparently the Japanese navy is snooping around Townsville and the RO-33 hits a mine for heavy damage.

TF 100 encounters mine field at Townsville (92,144)

Japanese Ships
SS RO-33, Mine hits 1, heavy damage

Troops pour onto the Lunga and Tulagi beachhead, the battle is now well and truly on.
buckaroo13

RE: Getting my feet wet at Guadalcanal - Buckaroo(A) vs Gebede(J)

Post by buckaroo13 »

August 9th

In the Solomons the landing of Troops continues. At the Lunga beach we get almost everything off the ships and launch an assault, easily capturing the base.

Ground combat at Lunga (114,138)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 10771 troops, 217 guns, 130 vehicles, Assault Value = 451

Defending force 3980 troops, 29 guns, 6 vehicles, Assault Value = 89

Allied adjusted assault: 632

Japanese adjusted defense: 23

Allied assault odds: 27 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied forces CAPTURE Lunga !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
3380 casualties reported
Squads: 63 destroyed, 42 disabled
Non Combat: 62 destroyed, 22 disabled
Engineers: 92 destroyed, 3 disabled
Guns lost 17 (10 destroyed, 7 disabled)
Vehicles lost 7 (7 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 4

Allied ground losses:
178 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 27 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
1st USMC/1st Regiment
1st USMC Amphb Tank Battalion
1st USMC/5th Regiment
3rd USMC Defense Battalion

Defending units:
Kure 3rd Naval Guard Unit
81st Naval Guard Unit
13th Naval Construction Battalion
11th Naval Construction Battalion

I postpone the attack on Tulagi for another day to allow more troops to disembark.

Things don’t go all my way though, a sub slips in and puts a torpedo into one of my Light Cruisers. In return I get a few near hits.
Sub attack near Lunga at 114,138

Japanese Ships
SS I-121

Allied Ships
CL Hobart, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
CA Chicago
DD Ralph Talbot
DD Selfridge
DD Jarvis

ASW attack near Lunga at 114,138

Japanese Ships
SS I-121, hits 5

Allied Ships
AKA Alchiba
AKA Alhena
AP Heywood
AP President Jackson
AP George F. Elliot
DD Henley
DD Helm
DD Blue

In New Guinea the boys of the 30th Australian Brigade continue to fall back to Port Moresby, this time with some P-39s helping keep the Japanese occupied.

Losing my second light Cruiser in as many days doesn't bode well.
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

Otherwise I stand down most of my aircraft

In a war zone?[X(]
buckaroo13

Post by buckaroo13 »

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

Otherwise I stand down most of my aircraft

In a war zone?[X(]

Well I don't have room for many squadrons to actively get into combat yet. So those squadrons in Australia and Nomea that are not needed for recon or ASW are training.
buckaroo13

Post by buckaroo13 »

AUG 10th

The Invasion continues with a successful assault on Tulagi. the Japanese, with no here to run lose a couple of units.

Ground combat at Tulagi (114,137)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 5979 troops, 107 guns, 30 vehicles, Assault Value = 246

Defending force 2280 troops, 28 guns, 3 vehicles, Assault Value = 31

Allied adjusted assault: 291

Japanese adjusted defense: 28

Allied assault odds: 10 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied forces CAPTURE Tulagi !!!

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2-N Rufe: 4 destroyed

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
606 casualties reported
Squads: 22 destroyed, 8 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 10 disabled
Engineers: 43 destroyed, 4 disabled
Guns lost 16 (9 destroyed, 7 disabled)
Vehicles lost 4 (4 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
105 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 17 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
1st USMC Parachute Battalion
1st USMC Raider Battalion
2nd USMC/2nd Regiment

Defending units:
Det - Kure 3rd SNLF
14th Naval Construction Battalion
129th JNAF AF Unit

Det - Kure 3rd SNLF Wiped Out at Tulagi by attrition!!!

14th Naval Construction Battalion Wiped Out at Tulagi by attrition!!!

129th JNAF AF Unit Wiped Out at Tulagi by attrition!!!

After the first few days of the scenario I've pretty much followed history. No point re-inventing the wheel. I successfully landed the troops and have control of Lunga and Tulagi.

From here on out the battle is going to be much more free form and opened ended.

My goals I've set out for myself over the next few weeks is to get supplies and Engineering and avaition troops to my forward bases. Building up base defense will be a priority.

My focus will be on fortifying Lunga and Port Moresby first and then getting Milne Bay and Tulagi.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Good luck! [:)]
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

If the Japanese try to land it is usually at the N end of Guadalcanal [as opposed to Lunga or Tulagi]. If you have any mines available, sow about 100 of them at that point and set your subs to patrol in key choke points in the slot. At this stage Japanese ASW is still pretty weak.

However, their sub warfare is pretty darn good - keep your carriers away from any suspicious sigint contacts in the middle of nowhere.

Lotsa luck!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
buckaroo13

Post by buckaroo13 »

I'm finding this out about the Japanese subs!
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

If the Japanese try to land it is usually at the N end of Guadalcanal [as opposed to Lunga or Tulagi]. If you have any mines available, sow about 100 of them at that point and set your subs to patrol in key choke points in the slot. At this stage Japanese ASW is still pretty weak.

However, their sub warfare is pretty darn good - keep your carriers away from any suspicious sigint contacts in the middle of nowhere.

Lotsa luck!
buckaroo13

Post by buckaroo13 »

August 11th - 15th

I'm not going to bore you, and myself, with empty Combat reports but I will touch on some of the more interesting events.

Activity is light this week. I'm loading several small convoys for resupply of my 4 major forward bases.
Zeros spar with P-40s and P-39s over New Guinea and although a few Zeros are downed the battles favor the Japanese.

I also start to form several ASW patrols out of Nomea.

Afternoon Air attack on Port Moresby , at 98,130

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 26 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 10

Allied aircraft
P-39D Airacobra x 9

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-39D Airacobra: 2 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x A6M3 Zero sweeping at 12000 feet

I'm starting to take a few loses here and there. Hopefully my mechant fleet can hold up

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Lunga at 114,138

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid detected at 76 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 26 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 21

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Russell
DD Gridley
AK Ara, Torpedo hits 1

By the end of the week I've lost about a half dozen Merchant ships to subs and long range Betty bombers.

While losses are higher then I'd like I did get some supplies in and the first batch of troops are on their way to Port Moresby and Lunga. Hopefully they will be able to make it.

I plan on shadowing my Lunga convoy with my Carriers to protect them from Long Range land based bombers.

Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: buckaroo13

I'm finding this out about the Japanese subs!
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Lotsa luck!

Check the couple of Guadalcanal AARs that are out there. I know I shamelessly plugged mine in your Oppo Wanted thread, but I know there are a couple of others. IJN subs are deadly in this scenario.

You may also want to look at what I did for clues as to how the Japanese are required to operate. The firepower of the IJA units isn't great, frankly. Still, I landed a bunch of reinforcements at Tassafaronga anyway. If my opponent had mined here, it would have been a serious problem. He mined Buna instead and I got lucky by happening to have DMSes nearby already...

It's been tempting for me, as the IJN, to land at Tulagi since I know through steady recon that the forces haven't changed since the landing and I'm sure I could take them. I would get Nav Search going from bearing 300 to 060 or so from Lunga (not necessarily flying from Lunga...) as well as covering the Slot. All of his landing attempts are going to come from those directions, if he chooses to fight over Guadalcanal itself. Being constrained on fuel, I decided to send many of my convoys directly from Truk rather than waste fuel (and risk more sub attacks) by stopping at Rabaul first.
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

Good luck. Looks like you got a good plan going.
buckaroo13

Post by buckaroo13 »

Aug 16th

The first of my small resupply fleets start getting close but Gabede quickly shows the flaws in my plans.

Planes from I'm assuming Rabaul deal with one task force. Not even my CAP of 13 P-39s can stop the carnage.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Port Moresby at 98,130

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 65 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 22 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 18
G4M1 Betty x 22

Allied aircraft
P-39D Airacobra x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 2 destroyed, 3 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-39D Airacobra: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
xAK Santa Rita, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Steel Maker, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Mormacmar, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Robert Luckenbach

So much for my Milne Bay supply fleet.

Next up more Betty Bombers find the small fleet heading to Port Moresby with similar results.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Port Moresby at 98,130

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid detected at 52 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 18 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 3
G4M1 Betty x 21

Allied aircraft
P-39D Airacobra x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 2 destroyed, 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-39D Airacobra: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
xAK San Vincente, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Edgar Luckenbach
xAK Nabesna
xAK Robert Luckenbach, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
xAK Willimoto, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

Okay I may need to rethink this....

It's a very good day for the Japanese, sinking outright 6 AKs and stopping both supply efforts cold.

Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

You really need Wildcats to stand up to the Bettys, I think. Also, the quality of pilots in this scenario is very high so the hit rate will also be higher.

Or you could use the Kittyhawks. IMO they do better than the P-39s as well.
buckaroo13

Post by buckaroo13 »

Marine Wildcats will be moving to Lunga soon. The long range plan is to move 2 squadrons of F4fs and 2 squadrons of SBDs. I'm worried about moving too much to Lunga as it's already come under surface bombardment. If facilities let me I will expand from there.

While I'm no slouch on Pac war history I'm purposely staying away from loading up the scenario and seeing the details on the Japanese side.
ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

You really need Wildcats to stand up to the Bettys, I think. Also, the quality of pilots in this scenario is very high so the hit rate will also be higher.

Or you could use the Kittyhawks. IMO they do better than the P-39s as well.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I think expanding the airfield at Lunga (as happened historically) is a good idea. Just keep in mind it will take a while with the lower SBS values in the scenario than in the campaign.
buckaroo13

Post by buckaroo13 »

good call, though moving the supplies there will be the challenge!
ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I think expanding the airfield at Lunga (as happened historically) is a good idea. Just keep in mind it will take a while with the lower SBS values in the scenario than in the campaign.
buckaroo13

Post by buckaroo13 »

Aug 17th

My penny packet supply operation floundered the previous day but I still had several convoys make it through.

Unfortunately my relief effort coincided with Gabede's first major fleet movements, naval bombardments at Lunga and Port Moresby.

Lunga Supply effort was support by a Task force of several US cruisers. Surely they would be able to cover the tranports for a couple of days, right? right?

Night Time Surface Combat, near Lunga at 114,138, Range 8,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Aoba, Shell hits 2
CA Kinugasa, Shell hits 1
CA Furutaka, Shell hits 1
CA Kako, Shell hits 3, on fire

Allied Ships
CA Astoria, Shell hits 1
CA Quincy, Shell hits 5, on fire
CA Vincennes, Shell hits 10, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Ellet
DD Wilson
DD Dewey
DD Hull

History repeats itself an the American Cruisers take it on the chin. USS Vincennes took some brutal hits.
The Task force must have auto sepeated as the next battle takes place immediately...

The 4 Japanese cruisers mercilessly pound the Vincennes who never the less gets in a few good licks of her own.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Lunga at 114,138, Range 12,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Aoba, Shell hits 1
CA Kinugasa, Shell hits 2
CA Furutaka
CA Kako, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
CA Vincennes, Shell hits 12, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Hull

These Japanese Cruisers never stop, they keep plowing through, hitting my convoy next, sinking both AKs.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Lunga at 114,138, Range 9,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Aoba, Shell hits 1
CA Kinugasa, Shell hits 7
CA Furutaka, Shell hits 8
CA Kako

Allied Ships
DD Russell
DD Gridley, Shell hits 2
AK Grumium, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
AK Ara, Shell hits 11, and is sunk

I really dislike those cruisers now.

The Japanese Cruiser force goes on to bombard Lunga doing minor damage.

MEANWHILE over in New Guinea...

My resupply effort here goes even worse!

Night Time Surface Combat, near Milne Bay at 101,133, Range 12,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Chokai
CL Tenryu
CL Tatsuta

Allied Ships
xAK Empire Hawk, Shell hits 11, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk

Then on into Port Moreby!

Night Time Surface Combat, near Port Moresby at 98,130, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Chokai
CL Tenryu, Shell hits 4
CL Tatsuta, Shell hits 9, on fire

Allied Ships
DD Arunta, Shell hits 6, on fire
xAP Barwon, Shell hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Adelong, Shell hits 10, and is sunk
xAP Rhesus, Shell hits 2, on fire
AMC Kanimlba, Shell hits 5, on fire
xAP Maori, Shell hits 5, on fire
xAP Manunda, Shell hits 11, heavy fires, heavy damage

Then to add insult to injury in the way out they smack around more merchies

Day Time Surface Combat, near Port Moresby at 97,131, Range 23,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Chokai
CL Tenryu
CL Tatsuta

Allied Ships
xAK Utahan, Shell hits 23, and is sunk
xAK Santa Rita, Shell hits 18, and is sunk
xAK Steel Maker, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

the one two combination of air raid yesterday and surface combat today has cost me over a dozen merchant ships and 1000s of points in supplies. Port Meresby is still showing a yellow exclamation point!

Time to rethink things...
buckaroo13

Post by buckaroo13 »

August 18th

The last two days my ship have taken a beating. In New Guinea things are quiet today simply because there are no more of my ships for Gabede to sink there.

In the Solomons things are heating up. yesterday my Cruiser force was hit pretty hard and today they pull back. I move my carriers a little closer to Lunga to provide LRCAP for the offloading transports. It's risky as I'm in range of LBA from Rabaul but I need to get something through to the brave Marines on Lunga.

First off is a promising attack on a Sub.

ASW attack near Lunga at 114,138

Japanese Ships
SS I-121, hits 8

Allied Ships
DD Dewey
DD Wilson
DD Ellet

Sweet! hopefully that sub wont be bothering us again.

Next up the expected air raid from Rabaul shows up over Lunga, targeting my transports.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Lunga at 114,138

Raid detected at 62 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 21 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 20

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 16 damaged

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
DD Henley
AP George F. Elliot
AP McCawley, Torpedo hits 1
DD Helm
DD Blue

CAP fighters are there but they still make it through, planting a fish into the McCawley.

However SBDs off of my carriers find a Japanese Transport fleet near Munda.
Vengeance is quick with most of the Japanese ships sent to the bottom.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Munda at 111,134

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 13 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Allied aircraft
SBD-3 Dauntless x 60
TBF-1 Avenger x 30

Allied aircraft losses
TBF-1 Avenger: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
xAK Sakura Maru, Bomb hits 7, and is sunk
xAK Toa Maru, Bomb hits 7, and is sunk
xAK Sagami Maru, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Nitisan Maru, Bomb hits 7, and is sunk
DMS W.21
DMS W.20, Bomb hits 4, and is sunk

Recon reports several Japanese surface task forces in and around the slot, tomorrow should be an interesting day.

buckaroo13

Post by buckaroo13 »

August 19th and 20th

Things are quiet but I've still got incoming supply ships to Lunga

On the New Guinea front I get a measure of revenge on the Japanese ships that bombarded Port Moresby as a rare successful torpedo attack hits a light Cruiser

Sub attack near Rabaul at 106,127

Japanese Ships
CL Tatsuta, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS S-38

Magazine explodes on CL Tatsuta
SS S-38 launches 4 torpedoes

The only other significant action of note is when some of my Carrier aircraft spot a Battleship, the Mutsu, moving towards Lunga for some shore bombardment.

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Ontong Java at 115,131

Raid spotted at 10 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Allied aircraft
SBD-3 Dauntless x 10

Allied aircraft losses
SBD-3 Dauntless: 6 damaged
SBD-3 Dauntless: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
CA Haguro
BB Mutsu

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 3000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb

Hopefully getting spotted with make Gabede think twice about coming into to Lunga with the CVs nearby.

buckaroo13

Post by buckaroo13 »

Aug 21st

Night brings a familar sight. Japanese Destroyers slip into Lunga. My Destroyers are no match and 2 are sunk outright, my Transports are sitting ducks and 4 go down.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Lunga at 114,138, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Uranami, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Shikinami
DD Amagiri, Shell hits 1
DD Akebono, Shell hits 7, heavy fires
DD Ushio, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
DD Bagley, Shell hits 20, and is sunk
DD Blue, Shell hits 4, on fire
DD Helm, Shell hits 12, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Henley, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
AP American Legion, Shell hits 26, and is sunk
AP George F. Elliot, Shell hits 7, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
AP Fuller, Shell hits 29, and is sunk
AP McCawley, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
Guns lost 4 (2 destroyed, 2 disabled)
Vehicles lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

At this rate I may run out of Transports!

It's not all coming up Rising Suns though. My Carriers risk moving a little closer and I manage to get a strike off at the Mutsu. Carrier planes inflict some revenge for our losses.

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Lunga at 114,138

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 47
SBD-3 Dauntless x 30
TBF-1 Avenger x 15

Allied aircraft losses
SBD-3 Dauntless: 1 damaged
TBF-1 Avenger: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Mutsu, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 2, on fire
CA Myoko
CA Haguro, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 4000'
7 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 3000'
15 x TBF-1 Avenger launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 22in Mk 13 Torpedo
4 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 3000'
8 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 4000'
4 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 2000'

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring BB Mutsu
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring CA Haguro

Return to “After Action Reports”