Japanese R&D question.

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JockJimmy

Japanese R&D question.

Post by JockJimmy »

So still wanting to be a JFB....

With a/c R&D is there a benefit to having multiple factories? Is the 1 R&D point/day the absolute limit or is it per R&D factory?

Thanks in advance.
JJ
geofflambert

RE: Japanese R&D question.

Post by geofflambert »

I'm just trying to learn this too and someone else needs to explain it better than me, but my understanding is the most efficient size for a factory (both R&D and production, I think) is 30. Depending on the model and how many you want and how soon, 30 may not be optimal. But if the plane is real important and you want lots of them sooner, having two or more size 30 R&D factories makes sense.

hkbhsi

Post by hkbhsi »

ORIGINAL: JockJimmy

So still wanting to be a JFB....

With a/c R&D is there a benefit to having multiple factories? Is the 1 R&D point/day the absolute limit or is it per R&D factory?

Thanks in advance.
JJ

For every R&D factory of size 30 that is completely repaired you receive 1 bonus and there is no limit on the number of factories that produce the bonus. Smaller size factories produce a smaller bonus according to a die roll with a formule that is escaping me at the moment. Be aware that the bonus is capped at 1 for factory and it will not increase if you have a bigger one.

On top of the research bonus, if you have more than 500 engines in the pool, you expend excessive engines to receive another bonus.

Hope it is clear enough.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

hkbhsi, do factories set to do R&D when the game begins, say the one in Maebashi for the J1N1C Irving start producing that plane in 11/42 as shown or is that an estimate and the real date is dependant on the die roll for bonus between now and then?

hkbhsi

Post by hkbhsi »

The date reported in the screen is the actual date of when production will start as thing are at the moment. For every 100 research points you will advance the project by 1 month and the date will adjust accordingly in the screen. You will also see a message in the ops report that will inform you of the progress.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I suggest you load up Tracker and run some days, then go look at the Air Production data set. Filter by R&D and click on an airframe, then click the 'history' button in the middle. This will bring up a chart and it will show you how many points you gained each day.

If you have 4x30 (repaired) R&D factories running, it should increase by 4% per day. If you also have >500 engines in the pool, it should increase by 5% per day. I don't know how many engines are used up to create that bonus point as I've never checked, but you could check your engine usage that turn and subtract those used by airframes produced that turn to arrive at the result.

I am unsure, but can an airframe be advanced by more than 1 month during a month of play time? E.g., if it is 4/42 and a model is set to arrive in 12/42 but you manage to make the R&D hit 100% twice in April, will it advance to 10/42*? One of Chickenboy's posts in the other thread seemed to imply that it could only advance one month per month of game time, but I don't recall reading that anywhere (in truth, I may have forgotten).

*For example, if I have 6 R&D factories at 30 and >500 engines in the pool for all of a given game month, that would be 210 "points" of R&D for that month...
koniu

Post by koniu »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

If you have 4x30 (repaired) R&D factories running, it should increase by 4% per day. If you also have >500 engines in the pool, it should increase by 5% per day. I don't know how many engines are used up to create that bonus point as I've never checked, but you could check your engine usage that turn and subtract those used by airframes produced that turn to arrive at the result.

In this case, 4x30(repaired)factories when You will have 500+ engines in pool. You will produce 8% daily. Engine bonus work with every single factory and will use 1 engine for any bonus point so in this case 4 engines will be used every turn

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
koniu

Post by koniu »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
*For example, if I have 6 R&D factories at 30 and >500 engines in the pool for all of a given game month, that would be 210 "points" of R&D for that month...

As i write post earlier it will r&D 360 points in month. 180 from normal R&D and 180 from Engine Bonus. But it will also use 180 engines during that month for engine bonus.

In summary. Engine bonus is doubling R%D speed.

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

I must have wasted my time writing my econ101 doc ... {sigh}

It tells you basically all you need to know about R&D.
JockJimmy

Post by JockJimmy »

Well n01487477 it certainly wasn't a waste of time as I have found it very useful. Please excuse my lack of comprehension on all the details straight away [;)].

JJ.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”