Finally!

This revised and updated turn-based grand strategy game from the team at AGEOD brings players back to World War I, including both the Eastern and Western fronts and over 4 campaigns and 10 scenarios. As either a member of the Central Powers, the Entente or a neutral nation, players will confront the epic gauntlet of military and political challenges that faced the likes of Kitchener, Joffre, Luddendorf, Clemenceau, Czar Nicholas II or Enver Pasha.
philabos

Finally!

Post by philabos »

I know most of the discussion is over at the Ageod forums, but thought I would post here.
I have long been interested in WWI and when this came out I jumped to buy it. After several abortive starts it sat on my hard drive
for a few years. I just could not understand the systems and background. I am a regular WITPAE player so not afraid of monster games.

There have been a number of easier to play WWI games released here an elsewhere in the last year, but all seemed a little too beer & pretzel like.
I kept seeing comments how this game was the one to get if you wanted the conflict in depth. Last weekend I resolved to get into it or delete it from
my computer. I played the tutorials a number of times to fianlly get them right - patience required. I then played a couple of Tannenburg scenarios
and finally launced into the GC. Wow - it all started making sense - somewhat like Ageod's ACW - but not quite. It took another day to figure out where
the tech, recruiting, budget and other stuff was hidden.

My original error was trying to absorb the manual first - at 200 pages it's just too much to remember - at least for me. It is very detailed on why, but a
little skimpy on how - or at least not easy to uncover. Now that if have the how under my belt, the manual becomes a much more interesting doc - one that shows the game is about as deep as games get. That's why I love WITP, and this game will give you a similar challenge.

The purpose of this post is not to let everyone know one person has figured it out - or at least started in that direction. Nobody cares. However, if you tried this before and gave up on it - maybe be time to try again. If you never owned it, but heard the early (well deserved) grumbles, and have a strong interest in WWI - perhaps time to buy - it's certainly cheap enough!

I haven't gotten the same penny per day I havew gotten out of WITP - but perhaps headed there.

IMHO - this is a gem.
Randomizer

RE: Finally!

Post by Randomizer »

There is far more activity at the AGEOD WW1G forum than there is here, plus mods, fixes and relevant discussions. The Matrix forum is pretty much dead for this excellent game.

-C
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

Your experience is exactly mine - bought it 2010 and could never get into it - got interested in WW1 last winter played another game for a while (which was very good by the way) and thought I would give this another try - this time I stayed with it - Randomizer helped me a lot (still does) - still playing which is unusual for me (my tendency is to play a game for a couple of weeks to a month and then grow tired of it) - Warrenup is right you have to stay with it for a while and it will eventually make sense

Warrenup just curious - what style are you playing Wego or Army by Army activation? - I have used the later and that made the game much more enjoyable for me - I have settled into setting of 4 for difficulty and 4 for AI aggressiveness (based on earlier posts at AgeOD
Jack
Jack
philabos

Post by philabos »

Jack

I am currently playing WEGO just to get by mind around the game. I am playing a throw away GC just for learning as I get deeper into the manual.
I did play a Tannenburg Army-by-Army but thought the WEGO - Ageod style - would be easier to get through. I will certainly try the latter on the next GC since you so highly recommend.

Thanks

Warren
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

Like what I see so far, bought this on the Holiday Sale instead of FoF. (figured I will wait for the newer version down the road.)
Anyone here try Strategic Command WWI Breakthrough? Thinking of checking out the Demo.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
wodin

Post by wodin »

The game is my all time fav Grand Strat game..and I don't normally like grand Strat..love the Combat mechanics. Sadly I'm useless at it but still love it.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Mid summer and it is a grey rainy day here in England so perhaps I should give this game another go even if it is just Tannenberg again.

I was thinking about the effort that some people have put into making games and so thank you to:

Calvinus for this WW1 game.
Peter Fisla for Tigers On The Hunt.
Frank Hunter for Campaigns On The Danube

And the other individuals and small teams that have made historical wargaming so interesting for me over the years.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Well I actually played the very short Palestine scenario.

If you found TE Lawrence's "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" hard going then I recommend Robert Graves "Lawrence and the Arabs".

There are collections of Lawrence's letters that also are of some interest - and he wrote the Encyclopedia Britannica entry on guerilla warfare in about 1930.
altipueri

Re: Finally!

Post by altipueri »

Well I just passed by and see nobody has posted here since my comment three years ago.

Oh well. If you are vaguely interested wait until the end of year sale and you can probably get it for few pounds.
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

altipueri wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:47 pm Well I just passed by and see nobody has posted here since my comment three years ago.

Oh well. If you are vaguely interested wait until the end of year sale and you can probably get it for few pounds.
I am curious, since your posts had essentially zero to do with the thread topic or WW1G, what sort of responses were you expecting?

-C
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

No, of course not - it was a general observation on the lack of posts in the forum in general not a specific reply to my post - indeed, look through the ancients/pike and musket/napoleonic forums - even general have fewer and fewer posts.
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

For sure, people move on and the attraction of the new and shiny is irresistible to many. I continue to believe that, for all its faults and they are many, WW1 Gold is the strategic game that best represents the entire Great War. Much better than the awful Commander: The Great War or the mind-numbingly stupid Strategic Command titles or even To End All Wars, which never should have been released in the first place as the AGE 2.0 engine is completely unsuited to recreating trench warfare and the resource/manpower problems of the belligerents. Frank Hunter's Guns of August is much better than the above gong-shows but only in relative terms. I still play WW1G and usually have a campaign on the go but have discovered that it does not run in Win-10, which is sad.

All that said, I appreciate your attempt at engagement. Cheers.

-C
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

I have it running on several Windows 10 pcs but I am probably not technical enough to explain why it doesn't work for you.

All my pcs and laptops are old and relatively low spec too.
---

Did you get the final version 1.08q (I think)
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

Yes, 1.08q is the last patch but it is still not recognized by Matrix , where the last available "official" patch 1.08L. For a shameless plug I also use my mods package that fix a number of errors of omission and commission that were never fixed. This includes adding a number of new leaders, restoring five German corps and the French Alpine corps missing from the 1914 Grand Campaign scenarios caused by a typo in the Nations.csv file and missing Russian fortresses.

You can find it here if interested, all fully documented and easy to install. http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=241&t=51491

I have no idea why WW1G fails to run correctly using Win-10. It takes forever to load and is unstable to the point of uselessness. It also refuses to close and must be exited using the Task Manager. Fortunately I retain a Win-7 machine for FS9 and there the game runs well.

-C
Nikel

Post by Nikel »

I did not know you were the Random of Ageod forum :)
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

@Nikel, you have been around seemingly forever. Well Done, Sir!

The AGEOD forum was one of the very first that I ever joined so I used Random as my user name. I'm Randomizer here because Random was not available when I registered. For me it honours a much loved Tuxedo Cat (1977-1993) who was a big part of our lives. He in turn, was named for a character in the Roger Zelazny "Amber Chronicles" fantasy series.

-C
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

After my earlier post I went to the Ageod website and I saw that you did some mods - hence I was lucky to say I didn't have the tech skills to explain why you couldn't get WW1G to work on your Windows 10 machine.

Also after my earlier post I fired up WW1g on my Acer Revo which was a cheap windows 8.1 machine that I upgraded to win 10 a couple of years ago - and played the Caporetto scenario. It still works !
-----------
OT

I have a couple of old machines upgraded to Win 10 that just won't play Valor & Victory - but some that do. Life is odd.
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

After my earlier post I went to the Ageod website and I saw that you did some mods - hence I was lucky to say I didn't have the tech skills to explain why you couldn't get WW1G to work on your Windows 10 machine
I actually got the game to work fine after reading your post. The problem was that I was setting compatibility for Win-XP SP3, which is how it runs best in Win-7. Using this setting in Win-10 fails miserably. Then I tried it set to Win-10, that is no compatibility setting at all, just run as administrator and the game loaded up and runs just fine. Better than in Win-7 perhaps, so thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers.

-C
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Excellent. Sometimes the magic works, sometimes not.
Nikel

Post by Nikel »

Randomizer wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:04 pm @Nikel, you have been around seemingly forever. Well Done, Sir!

The AGEOD forum was one of the very first that I ever joined so I used Random as my user name. I'm Randomizer here because Random was not available when I registered. For me it honours a much loved Tuxedo Cat (1977-1993) who was a big part of our lives. He in turn, was named for a character in the Roger Zelazny "Amber Chronicles" fantasy series.

-C

I still visit and post in the Ageod forum. Empty halls nowadays but melancholy plays its game.

Here I have associated you with CMO, and so never thought you were Random.

A beautiful cat! :)

The name I use comes from an old flight simulator, F-19 Stealth Fighter, a russian city called Nikel, in the North Cape Scenarios.
Attachments
Nikel.png
Nikel.png (1.16 MiB) Viewed 893 times

Return to “World War One Gold”