War in the East Update 1.07.08

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Philkian

War in the East Update 1.07.08

Post by Philkian »

The v1.07.08 official update is now available for Gary Grigsby's War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945. This major update brings significant AI and balance improvements, changes the save game structure to eliminate certain exploits in multiplayer, restores some upgrade paths to address late war issues and includes additional bug fixes and data changes. This update is designed to work together with Lost Battles for the best possible experience, but also brings gameplay improvements to all existing scenarios and campaigns.

Below is the full change list:

V1.07.08– May 16, 2013

• New Features and Rule Changes

1. Formula Change - Greatly reduced the chance that a unit below its national morale will receive the die(10% of national morale) increase in morale.

• Bug Fixes

1. Fixed a bug that was allowing non-recon air groups to transfer to German Army Airbases (the new rule created in 1.07.07 was not working correctly).
2. Fixed a bug where the “Restore ground element upgrade paths” question was not showing up properly during Multiplayer games.

• Data and Scenario Changes

1. In games where the AI is playing the Axis side, the Soviet player will be asked whether to restore ground element upgrade paths per the change in version 1.07.07. Also, in games started with version 1.07.07 or later, the restore question will not be asked (as the upgrade paths have already been reinstated in the data).
2. Correction for the 1.07.07 readme:
Restored 2 ground element upgrade paths listed below (these are restored along with the German upgrade paths in existing games if the player answers yes to the question):
0299 Rifle Squad (Hungarian) to 0298 Rifle Squad (Hungarian)
0316 Rifle Squad (Slovakian) to 0315 Rifle Squad (Slovakian)

V1.07.07– April 29, 2013

1. New Rule - Only recon air groups may be transferred to German Army Airbases. No air groups may be assigned directly from the National Reserve to German Army Airbases.

3. Restored four German ground element upgrade paths listed below. In existing games, the German player will be asked once whether they wish to “Restore Ground Element Upgrade Paths”. If yes, then the upgrade paths below will be set, otherwise the ground elements will remain with no upgrade path and the player will not be asked again.
0081 Rifle Squad upgrades to 0082 Rifle Squad
0084 Pioneer Squad upgrades to 0085 Pioneer Squad
0094 Motorized Rifle Squad upgrades to 0096 Motorized Rifle Squad
0114 Fallschirmjager Squad upgrades to 0115 Fallschirmjager Squad
4. Corrected start date of the Soviet 42 Flamethrower Company (OB 383) from 5/42 to 7/42.
5. Minor changes to recently added German leaders.
6. Restored 2 ground element upgrade paths listed below:
0298 Rifle Squad (Hungarian) to 0299 Rifle Squad (Hungarian)
0315 Rifle Squad (Slovakian) to 0316 Rifle Squad (Slovakian)

V1.07.06– April 12, 2013

1. Rule Clarifications – HQ and airbase units do not receive the motorized bonus to national morale. Units do not gain morale while routed. Units may only gain morale outside of combat if their morale is less than 10 points above their national morale, or less than 50, whichever is greater.

• Bug Fixes

1. Fixed a bug that prevented a part of rule 9.1.1 from functioning correctly. Units that were below their national morale were not getting the chance to gain morale simply due to the fact that they were below the national morale. Now they get the chance, and if they go up (they must pass various checks), they will receive an increase of die(10% of their national morale), but not to exceed the national morale.
2. Fixed a bug that prevented Soviet players from being able to create new flak units at cities.

V1.07.04– April 4, 2013

1. Rule Change – Ground combat in a hex can no longer cause damage to a port in the hex.

• Bug Fixes

1. Fixed a bug that prevented Don to the Danube scenarios from being playable in Multiplayer.

Updated WitE Campaigns and many smaller scenarios
1. German airgroups updated to the latest versions of aircraft
2. Soviet partisan MPs zeroed out
3. Hungarian 39M Armored Car Factory removed

V1.07.03– March 15, 2013

1. Change in Save Game Structure – Games that are saved using a 1.07.00 version or later are saved in such a way that they may only be loaded successfully by a 1.07.00 or later version. This change was made to eliminate the potential of players using earlier versions of the game to take advantage of possible exploits..
2. New Rule – The maximum MPs for Soviet Tank and Motorized Divisions in 1942 are 25.
3. AI Improvements – Made several AI adjustments, including improvements to the AI’s line forming function, improvements to its use of support units (getting them out of rear HQ’s and into active HQs), and improvements to its overuse of counterattacks that put the AI’s units in dangerous situations.

• Bug Fixes

1. Fixed a bug that allowed fort units to attach an unlimited number of construction support units.
2. Fixed a rare AI bug that could cause units from both sides to temporarily occupy the same hex.
3. Fixed a bug that could prevent a destroyed German unit from returning to the game to be rebuilt.
4. Fixed a bug that could prevent the save game screen from closing when the ESC key was pressed.
5. Fixed a bug with the set production usage interface in the editor screen.
6. Fixed a bug with highlighting of Soviet Corps breakdown units.
7. Fixed a bug that caused an attempt to build a Gun Artillery Division in 1943 to instead build a Heavy Artillery Division.

1. Changed frontal armor of IS-1 and early IS-2 and side armor of IS-3.
2. Corrected the Italian Labor Squad’s speed and size and the SU-76’s fuel use.
3. Corrected the availability date of several Soviet leaders to June 1941. These leaders are commanding Corps in June 1941 but were incorrectly listed in the game data as not being available until later.
4. Corrected the missing build cost for Rumanian, Hungarian and Soviet Labor Squads.
5. Changed 41b Tank Division end date to 12/41.

To download the update, players can run “Check for Update” via the game menu or download it directly from the game’s download page here .
Oberst_Klink

RE: War in the East Update 1.07.08

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Not being at the FTP server, yet?

Klink, Oberst

Attachments
cats.jpg
cats.jpg (74.39 KiB) Viewed 782 times
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Andrew Loveridge

Post by Andrew Loveridge »

The file has been posted, but we have a European Mirror to our server which takes about an hour to synch. So it should be available in an half hour to an hour from now.
Best regards,
Andrew
AndyG1

Post by AndyG1 »

Working now:)
821Bobo

Post by 821Bobo »

Still not working for me.
AndyG1

Post by AndyG1 »

I got it from this page (all WITE Downloads page):-

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/372/downloads/
821Bobo

Post by 821Bobo »

I tried from the same place however working now. Problem was cache.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

*deleted* double-post
My Blog & on Twitter.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Andrew Loveridge

The file has been posted, but we have a European Mirror to our server which takes about an hour to synch. So it should be available in an half hour to an hour from now.
Best regards,
Andrew
Update via the Main Menu worked Andrew... and I am in the US atm.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Mehring

Post by Mehring »

New Features and Rule Changes

1. Formula Change - Greatly reduced the chance that a unit below its national morale will receive the die(10% of national morale) increase in morale.

My Russians are as a rule still getting 3 to 4 point morale increases per turn away from front and in poor supply. Bloody ridiculous and making the game quite unplayable.
“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky
morvael

Post by morvael »

There is a 15% chance per unit to get an increase of up to 10% of NM, so with two hundred units below national morale you are bound to see such results. This rule was meant to be from the start, but it was not working. After all, what's the reason for having a "national morale" if units' morale do not converge to it? It can be unfair though, that the other morale increase rules are not tied to NM, but to 50.
Mehring

Post by Mehring »

I'm refering largely to morale increases from mid 40s to 50 when Russian national morale is less than 50 (August 42 is still < 50NM IIRC). The two examples that prompted my post were from 46 and 47 to 50 in 1 turn. These were the only changes I checked and while it may not be a scientific cross section, that's 100% not 15%. In any case, its ridiculous to recover morale at such a rate after weeks of hard fighting.

Germans don't have a hope in hell's chance of a '42 summer offensive now. Every change in this game takes us from frying pan to fire and it seems 2by3 have now given up any attempt to simulate the war with the introduction of a sudden death rule campaign which I'm certainly not going to pay for. What a disappointment. I'll be looking very closely at WitE 2 feedback before I buy it, I don't want the same design flaws repackaged.
-Leon Trotsky
morvael

Post by morvael »

The fixed rule should not kick in in this situation (when unit's morale >= NM). Maybe it's the other rules that cause this. That's why I think it's better to tie them to NM level as well.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

What you are seeing when over national morale but below 50 has always been the case. Generally units in refit more than 10 hexes from the enemy will gain a lot each turn up to 50. There was no change with this in years. The only change was for units below NM.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Joel I think the *new* morale rule has just brought some other existing aspects under the spotlight. Maybe you can explain what the point of NM below 50 is? Because the other rules all bring units up to 50 morale pretty quick if you are prepared to rotate. I know from my own experience that its not very difficult to keep most of the Red Army at 50 morale. So why bother with rules claiming a NM of 45-49?
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

The NM sets the starting morale level of new and rebuilt units. Thus the Soviets will require an additional turn or two in refit to reach the 50 mark than if they had a higher NM.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Funny, I don't think German units that are rebuilt start at their NM.
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

They don't but their starting Morale is higher because their NM is higher.
Mehring

Post by Mehring »

Before this update to how the game was always supposed to be, morale of 1941-2 Russian units away from the front would seldom rise by more than 2 per week once they arrived in the mid 40s and often a 1 or zero rise was the case. I have always payed a lot of attention to raising morale and rotating units, so while I cannot back this with scientific evidence, it's pretty strong anecdotal.

As Michael T points out, by rotating units you could always bring Russian morale up to 50, but now you do so ridiculously fast and because of the speed you can extend this luxury to ever more troops. Given the runnaway of 41, you can even have most of your army on refit gaining morale at some points in the game. When you're dealing with a more static line, you don't even have to de-train, just zip 10-20 hexes down the track, next turn zip back and join the fight same turn. What on earth is this morale gain supposed to represent?

I appreciate that mistakes in code are made and the game has evolved around that code error, but because of that evolution the game is now perhaps more unplayable than on release. It needs more than a quick fix.
-Leon Trotsky
randallw

Post by randallw »

The original rule that NM as a factor in the beginning morale of a new/rebuilt unit; it was not simply that a new/rebuilt unit's morale would be right at NM.

The formula has changed but I can't remember what it is now.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”