Galaxy Map Trading

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Balkor Wolf

Galaxy Map Trading

Post by Balkor Wolf »

o/ Distant Worlders

I have thoroughly been enjoying my latest game, I have a nice little empire that is slowly expanding and I'm making lots of friends in the Galaxy so I figured I would try a little bit of trade to see what's available.

What I noticed is that I have the ability to sell my Galaxy and Territory Maps instead of trading them, Awesome! Except I'm concerned about how much they sell for. At the time my maps had a value of around 500k-700k credits which if I am friendly enough to trade research then that makes worth 3-5+ low level technologies. Personally I feel that in the early game at least this is somewhat of an overpowered mechanic as I now have much more technologies unlocked than I otherwise would have and my balance is up to 2.5million instead of the 300k it was originally at, allowing me to pay for quicker research and in taking other galaxy maps as part of the trade I near enough have the entire galaxy explored.

Does anyone else agree? I'm not asking for the mechanic to be removed but feel the value of the maps are too high, especially considering you can steal other empire's maps to improve the value of your own.
Spacecadet

RE: Galaxy Map Trading

Post by Spacecadet »

The thing about Galaxy maps is they show everything you've found . . . meaning not only those rare resources, but also all those nice planets for Colonization.

Remember, for a long time you can't colonize certain types of planets, but to other Races they may well be their native habitat.

Personally I avoid trading maps if at all possible, and keep in mind a Mutual Defense Pact automatically gives each others' Galaxy map & Empire visibility.

Once your Galaxy map is in another Empires hands, there's nothing keeping them from trading it to other Empires . . . could even be your enemies.

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

Balkor Wolf

Post by Balkor Wolf »

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

The thing about Galaxy maps is they show everything you've found . . . meaning not only those rare resources, but also all those nice planets for Colonization.

Remember, for a long time you can't colonize certain types of planets, but to other Races they may well be their native habitat.

Personally I avoid trading maps if at all possible, and keep in mind a Mutual Defense Pact automatically gives each others' Galaxy map & Empire visibility.

Once your Galaxy map is in another Empires hands, there's nothing keeping them from trading it to other Empires . . . could even be your enemies.

I didn't think of it from that light although I can't say I'm too concerned in this game as I only have one enemy and that's because I colonized a couple of systems where he has mining outposts which im contemplating of blockading them or even just destroying them out right.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Galaxy maps are precious. Territory maps not so much. For instance it is hard to trade with the them if you don't know where they live...

In general, you can trade your way to victory quite easily, so I rarely visit those options. In the "right" game, I may trade for peace during war, though.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

The A.I is too willing to give them away,it also kills the fun of exploration.I would like to see diplomacy added into the policy options modding so I could raise the threshold.
Balkor Wolf

Post by Balkor Wolf »

One thing I would like to see in regards of diplomacy is allow research to be traded at lower relationship levels but at a higher cost. So for instance if you are only just friendly with someone then to trade research would cost twice as much as if you were to buy it at a much stronger relationship.
Plant

Post by Plant »

Isn't that already in the game, for all diplomatic trade options? That relationship affects the cost of items traded?
Fishers of Men

Post by Fishers of Men »

Some races are tough traders and demand about a 10% premium for their items. But relationship does effect cost. As been discussed in other threads, the whole diplomacy part of DW needs a complete reworking, not just the trade area.
Old............but very fast
Balkor Wolf

Post by Balkor Wolf »

Ooooh I had no idea it was already set up like that, Guess I just wasn't noticing any difference in the costs, not that I looked very hard that is...

Personally, in comparison to many many 4x games I've played the diplomacy is pretty good in regards of how many options you have and how everything has a value. I can't tell you how pleased I am to see I can charge others to declare war on their enemies, making it perfect for me to have an actual mercenary playthrough
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

I never ever give my galaxy map away, no matter what I get. I even refrain from trading my territory map. I diskile other empires' construction or colonizing ships showing up at those nice locations I found. Eventually, they will find them, too, but in the meantime I like the advantage of time on my side.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”