Distant Text

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

chiliocosm

Distant Text

Post by chiliocosm »

Every few months I return to Distant Worlds, only to abandon it because of the abusive font, which renders so much of the user interface unreadable. Playing the game is like visiting the Sistine Chapel with a tour guide who pokes you in the eye every time you ask a question.

Distant Worlds is a brilliant game, and were it not for the font, I would buy the upcoming expansion without hesitation. Instead, I find myself warning everyone I know to avoid the game. Will the upcoming expansion give me any reason to change that policy? Has the developer actually done anything to improve the legibility of the text? If not, why not?
Webbco

RE: Distant Text

Post by Webbco »

You're telling people to avoid the game because text size is too small for you personally? That's a shame.

Post #573 on this thread: tm.asp?m=3206160&mpage=20&key= Erik explains that they are having a go at interface scaling in Shadows...maybe more will be done by release so that all/most windows can be expanded.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Play the game on a smaller resolution.
chiliocosm

Post by chiliocosm »

Thanks for pointing me at that thread. If interface scaling is part of the expansion, that will make me very happy. You're right that this is a matter of personal preference. I want my friends to know about the game because I think it is brilliant, but at the same time, I find the game to be unplayable due to the interface, and I can't help but mention that, with some bitterness.
Mad Igor

Post by Mad Igor »

telling us,that the game is great,and it's so great that you telling ppls to avoid it ?dafuq
if you can't play it,then it's a bad game,not good.
i personally have NO idea what ppls talking about regarding font size.
Kruos

Post by Kruos »

i personally have NO idea what ppls talking about regarding font size.

For example, when you play on a wide screen (52'), at a distance of ~2m you cant read the font if your resolution is higher than 1024x768.

The interface scalling looks really great and for me the extension will be a must buy thnaks to that great feature. ;)

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”