So is this game any good?

Time of Fury spans the whole war in Europe and gives players the opportunity to control all types of units, ground, air and naval. Not only that, each player will be able to pick a single country or selection of countries and fight his way against either the AI or in multiplayer in hotseat or Play by E-Mail. This innovative multiplayer feature will give player the chance to fight bigger scenarios against many opponents, giving the game a strategic angle that has no equal in the market. The game uses Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.

Moderator: doomtrader

Rocko911

So is this game any good?

Post by Rocko911 »

I have been watching this game for awhile, and know it was very buggy and had issues when it game out first. How is the game as it exists today. Also how is combat resolved with explosions on the screen as units battle? Also can more than one unit attach an enemy.
Omnius

RE: So is this game any good?

Post by Omnius »

LRRP,
More than one unit can make a combined attack at the same time, but only once per turn per attacking unit and only once per defending unit per turn. One of the better features of ToF. I don't recall explosions so much on the screen during combat, rather childish. As far as playing a well finished WW2 strategic game I suggest Commander: Europe at War available here at Matrix. Same unit and map scales with 20 day turns that is pretty much bug free. I found CEaW to be much more enjoyable than ToF, ToF has too many bad features like 999 turn unit freezes to help a totally pathetic AI that is aided by way too many programming cheats. A shame because I like the Action Point movement and combat system better than the standard move and attack with one unit at a time system employed in CEaW.
Omnius
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Onimus has a long-standing animus towards ToF, LRRP. No point in listening to him. He's TOTALLY wrong about Commander Europe at War being the same unit and map scale as ToF. Today, in another thread, he blamed ToF for an OpenOffice addon! Jeezuz.

ToF is one step lower in scale than Commander. It is division/corps.

Check out my AARs to see how much fun I think ToF is.

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: LRRP
I have been watching this game for awhile, and know it was very buggy and had issues when it game out first. How is the game as it exists today. Also how is combat resolved with explosions on the screen as units battle? Also can more than one unit attach an enemy.

TOF is a map game with some sound effects, but no graphic effects as combat is resolved. Commander-Europe at War, the basic game, has been on the market longer and is a more developed product, Omnius must speak for himself, but I think he is complimenting CEAW -Grand Strategy Mod (not the basic game), now at version 2.10, with version 2.20 in the works and the result of a lot of community led expansion (being provided free), meaning that game is much further down the development road. I enjoy both CEAW with Grand Strategy mod and TOF, they are both worth playing.

CEAW plays in 20 day turns (nearly 3 weeks) with Corps level units and as the mod name implies portrays grand strategy, rather than detailed battles. TOF plays in approximately one week turns and also is based on mainly Corps sized units, but also uses smaller division sized units and all units can be broken down into even smaller units and merged again if required, therefore is more flexible with more detailed combat. Both games cover the whole of Europe, from the Atlantic to the Urals and for the whole war from 1939 to the end.

Units can be attacked by sea bombardment, air attack, and multiple attacks by several adjacent ground units in the same turn, attacks can go on through several attempts as long as the attackers have action points (but only ever one multiple attack, with several ground units attacking simultaneously in any single turn. There is no stacking of units, but they can exchange position (swap places), which helps in manoeuvring when space is tight.

TOF has some really good features, but also some problems and errors that still need to be resolved. This means that if you are looking for faults you will find them, but also if you are looking for the advantages in the game, they are there to. This results in players either loving, or hating the game, as you will see from the forum. The more you put into this game the more you get out, there are multiple map and unit sprites/icon preferences and game options, with a lot you can do to change the game to your taste.

TOF version 1.04 beta has recently been issued and it's too early to say, but it promises to resolve many of the faults, I personally have had little problem with the game, there have been some CTDs, but the game restarts OK and resumes play from saved games, with so far no loss of play. I know some players have had more problems with downloads and updating and I don't know how much this is to do with different hardware, the forum will show some who can't get the game to play and others who have little difficulty.

The only way to know is to play. [:)]

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Other than the naval system, which has the most issues imho, the rest of the game is very good with the new patch (1.04). If you have any interest in this type of game, then it is well worth picking up. I know i have gotten my monies worth out of it [:)]
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

CEAW with Grand Strategy mod and TOF, they are both worth playing.

I 100% agree! Have enjoyed both of these games and the game info found in this forum.
JRR
wodin

Post by wodin »

Go check most of Onimus posts he is complaining about something..yawn..
ORIGINAL: gwgardner

Onimus has a long-standing animus towards ToF, LRRP. No point in listening to him. He's TOTALLY wrong about Commander Europe at War being the same unit and map scale as ToF. Today, in another thread, he blamed ToF for an OpenOffice addon! Jeezuz.

ToF is one step lower in scale than Commander. It is division/corps.

Check out my AARs to see how much fun I think ToF is.
noel60

Post by noel60 »

To me its the best WW2 ETO grand strategy game out there.
Turbo823

Post by Turbo823 »

No, it is not.

This is not a game I can recommend. For me at least, running Windows 7 with a i7, GTX570 card, this game seems to random crash on a persistent basis. Selecting a 'Quick Start' game off the main menu and hitting 'play' = crash to desktop. Others have reported the same issue. A workaround seems to be: never updating the game and manually downloading v1.02. 1.04 and 1.05 beta are both broken patches for me.

How this can go without correction is beyond me and does not speak well for the support of the game.
firefly101

Post by firefly101 »

For me I can say this game is a lot of fun to play, and is worth the money and the time to play. It's simplified method of supply and lack of micromanaging is a plus in its favor.

I find that with WinXP and the 1.04b Patch the game is very stable and only crashes once in a while and the Autosave is there to start right were you ended.

It doesn't have animations like HEARTS OF IRON 3, but I made some nice little sprites that are fun to play with that I plan to share for others that like to use them. The AI will act somewhat historical if you play similarly with it.

I don't feel I wasted my money at all, and there are more features in this version compared to Time of Wrath which had some bugs that were never fixed. I only wished I found TOF before TOW because with TOF there is no reason to play TOW. [:)]

Return to “Time of Fury”