Windows 8

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here. Post any Community Site Requests here as well.

Moderator: Vic

lion_of_judah

Windows 8

Post by lion_of_judah »

I have a question, just bought my wife a new lap-top which has windows 8 and yes i will be loading this game onto it :). so the question is this, has anyone had problems running ATG in this OS and if so what is the work around or does this latest patch make it capatible

Tac2i

RE: Windows 8

Post by Tac2i »

I'm running ATG on my desktop PC with Windows 8 Professional without any issues.
ORIGINAL: lion_of_judah

I have a question, just bought my wife a new lap-top which has windows 8 and yes i will be loading this game onto it :). so the question is this, has anyone had problems running ATG in this OS and if so what is the work around or does this latest patch make it compatible?

Tac2i (formerly webizen)
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

I have noticed that sometimes when i start the game only part of the start up screen shows on the desktop, the rest is still my desktop. so i have to end task the game and then try it again, this time with no problem. also every time i start the game i have to click a pop up window which asks if i want to allow this program to continue. how annoying
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

I saw the partial loading too on a couple of occasions. Hasn't happened in awhile so maybe some Win8/video patch fixed it for me. There may be a work around for the Win7/Win8 UAC popup but I've gotten use to it.

I have noticed that sometimes when i start the game only part of the start up screen shows on the desktop, the rest is still my desktop. so i have to end task the game and then try it again, this time with no problem. also every time i start the game i have to click a pop up window which asks if i want to allow this program to continue. how annoying
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Veni

Post by Veni »

Ugh. I have the same issue lion_of_judah mentions on my new laptop (Windows 8), but it's 100% of the time. I've reloaded ATG & tweaked my graphics settings, but alas to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Vic

Post by Vic »

ATG is not officially supported yet. Anybody here also own Decisive Campaigns titles? If so could you try out the latest beta patch (j) for them and see how they compare to ATG?

Lets see if we can fix this as well.

Best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Vic

Post by Vic »

@Veni,

Do you have 2 monitors connected somehow?

Can you make a screenshot of your full screen showing this situation?

you can post it here or mail it to vic@xs4all.nl

best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Veni

Post by Veni »

Vic,

I've attached a screenshot of my laptop after running ATG (shrunk 50% for upload size).
Since I posted above, I've been able to run it normally approx. 30-40% of the time upon initial start.
As a work around: the buttons still function as if full-screen, so if I click to minimize where the [invisible!] button is, it does; and when I maximize it, it returns as full-screen (100% operability, no issues).

Also, I do not have two monitors connected. I'm running ATG on a brand-new laptop (one of these touch-screen doohickeys, which incidentally is a really neat way to experience the game!).

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Matt (aka Veni)

Attachments
ATGnogoB.jpg
ATGnogoB.jpg (129.07 KiB) Viewed 149 times
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

Vic
I have Decisive campaigns ( first one)but have not tried it on Windows 8 yet. Also Vic, Veni's screenshot is the same as what i see when i play the game. not all the time but at least once a day when i play it.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Thanks for the screeny.

Could you check if there is a difference if you start up the AdvancedTacticsGold.exe through the explorer instead of the Matrix menu?

best,
Vic
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

this is a stupid question, but how does one do this. i'm still learning windows 8 and I hate it. Thank goodness this OS is only on my wife's laptop and not my own computer.
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Re Windows 8: Check out Start8 from StarDock - http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/. It is only $5 and makes Windows 8 more amenable to folks who like the Windows 7 experience.

this is a stupid question, but how does one do this. i'm still learning windows 8 and I hate it. Thank goodness this OS is only on my wife's laptop and not my own computer.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Classic Shell is my choice for start menu and it is free.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Vic

Post by Vic »

Well you go to the windows explorer, the programm you use to browse through your files on your hard drive, and then go to c:/matrix games/advanced tactics gold/ directory and there double click on AdvancedTacticsGold.exe

not sure if it will help, but its worth a try.

best,
Vic
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

I tried it this way, but with the same results. i did move my mouse over too where the minimize button would be, minimized it and then restored it and it worked.
Veni

Post by Veni »

@ lion o' Judah: no, that's not a stupid question! I'm still trying to acquaint myself w/ Windows 8; no easy task [:)]

@ Vic: Ditto on LoJ's comment, no discernible difference. I *have* noticed that running as admin (right clicking on the desktop shortcut, selecting 'Run as Administrator') does seem to make a difference, though not 100% of the time; not sure if this is coincidence, however.
Husker50

Post by Husker50 »

I have the same problem.
It seems that Windows 8 is not following the change in focus from the start menu to the game menu everytime ATG is started.
I have used admin priv and everything. I have even started 2 games at the same time, this gets the game menu to display
almost properly excpt that the Win8 desktop toolbar on the bottom of the screen is still there and blocks part of ATG with no
way to get rid of the Win8 toolbar. Sometimes I am able to get to the correct ATG game screen by using Task Manager to shutdown
the faulty game screen, but alas someimes not.

I also HATE Windows 8. What a piece of crap.
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Two apps that have made my Windows 8 experience much better are:

Start8 and ModernMix

Both apps are from Stardock. I also use Stardock's Fences and ObjectDock Plus but the first two are, if you don't like the Win8 start screen, essential to a good Windows 7 like experience. Microsoft made a big mistake not including that as a option. Other than that however, Windows 8 is a superior OS in my estimation.

I still, on rare occasions, get the partial screen loading issue. I know that Vic is looking into finding a solution for it.
ORIGINAL: Husker50

I also HATE Windows 8. What a piece of crap.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: Husker50
I have even started 2 games at the same time, this gets the game menu to display
almost properly excpt that the Win8 desktop toolbar on the bottom of the screen is still there and blocks part of ATG with no
way to get rid of the Win8 toolbar.
I wasn't able to reproduce this issue, but regarding the bottom desktop taskbar, perhaps you could auto-hide it. Click with the right mouse button over it and select Properties. Tick Auto-hide the taskbar. Check if this improves your issue.
http://www.tutorialspoint.com/shorttuto ... windows-8/

@Webizen
The first thing that I've done after connecting Windows 8 to the Internet was to buy Stardock's Start8. [:)]
This small move prevented me from loosing the rest of my own sanity.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Support”