Ancient Guardians starting within my SOI

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

martok

Ancient Guardians starting within my SOI

Post by martok »

Never seen this before. Is it a bug? Or can this just happen sometimes?

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h41 ... ec591d.jpg

EDIT: Okay, what am I doing wrong that I can't embed the screenshot in my post?
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

WoodMan

RE: Ancient Guardians starting within my SOI

Post by WoodMan »

Not seen that before, but I would guess it is perfectly possible. Guardians seem to always start near or at least medium distance from the player. I've never seen them start across the other side of the galaxy, which would be nice once in a while, give me more mining spots at the start [:D]
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

I've had this happen to me several times. Sometimes it can lead to war unless you give up any bases that may be in their influenced territory. In one game I had to give up a research base that was over a 26% bonus site as they threatened war over it. That one really hurt lol, but no chance at surviving a war with them that early so I gave it to them.

Edit:
ORIGINAL: martok
EDIT: Okay, what am I doing wrong that I can't embed the screenshot in my post?

Save the image to your desktop, then when you create a post, put a check mark in the 'embed image in post' box at the bottom of the pop-up you type your post in. Then select 'click here to upload' just to the left of that check box and select the file you have on your desktop. As long as it doesn't exceed the file size limits you should see it appear in your post. I think you can edit your post to do this, no need to create a new post, though the check box is then a pull-down instead.

Jim
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I got no problem linking images with the "image" tag.

I think your url may confuse the board software. Try rename your Distant Worlds package so that the %20 is no longer present. To something like DistantWorlds.

tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

I often have them that close to me...
They have never started a war with me though. But then I ALWAYS try diplomacy on them.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Dd_01

Post by Dd_01 »

In my games Ancient Guardians become jealous and angry very quickly (and it with my Way of the Ancients government, good reputation, gifts to them etc), especially when they begin close to me (but not so close as the OP). War is avoided only by the unimaginable efforts of my diplomats. But there's another way though - to wait them to declare war, smash weak robots' ships to pieces and wait for capitulation and peace treaty.
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

lol, they have never declared war on me yet, they usually end up Friendly or even Delighted [:D]

Is it possible to do diplomacy with them? They never agree to anything!
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

I don't play with the story lines any more, but one of the last times I did they were pretty close to my home world and were pretty agreeable... until...

I finished repairing my planet killer.

Looking to abandon that particular game anyway, and they were closest, I did a quick weapons test...

Guardians? What guardians? (While coughing and brushing dust off my jacket!) I see no guardians!

It's the only time I've seen a planet killer in action - and it was AWESOME! [&o]
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: WoodMan
lol, they have never declared war on me yet, they usually end up Friendly or even Delighted [:D]
Is it possible to do diplomacy with them? They never agree to anything!

Same here.
DD-01: did you have an evil reputation?
They never would trade with me, but they always treated me fairly.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Dd_01

Post by Dd_01 »

did you have an evil reputation?
No, my reputation varies from Admirable to Noble.
I noticed one thing: it seems like that every envious nation compares our firepowers and if it has more it will declare war pretty soon.
So additional warships can restrain aggression.
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

ORIGINAL: Dd_01
did you have an evil reputation?
No, my reputation varies from Admirable to Noble.
I noticed one thing: it seems like that every envious nation compares our firepowers and if it has more it will declare war pretty soon.
So additional warships can restrain aggression.

Probably playing on different aggression settings. I play on +1 (restless).
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

ORIGINAL: Dd_01

In my games Ancient Guardians become jealous and angry very quickly (and it with my Way of the Ancients government, good reputation, gifts to them etc), especially when they begin close to me (but not so close as the OP). War is avoided only by the unimaginable efforts of my diplomats. But there's another way though - to wait them to declare war, smash weak robots' ships to pieces and wait for capitulation and peace treaty.

Hey DD, can I ask you how you design your ships to destroy the Guardians if your technology isn't as good as theirs? Also how would you imagine the Guardians ships to be better designed?
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

The only time I have upset the Guardians was when I was using Area Weapons on my bases. Out of the blue I had a terrible reputation and the AGs were completely mad with me, I could only assume what had happened as I couldn't work it out and was playing my empire quite peacefully.
Dd_01

Post by Dd_01 »

Haree78, when the war begins, I usually have pretty improved equipment (not the best one however).
Nothing really special in design. I place 10-15 shields minimum and lots of beams (wave weapons in my case, and even not the top ones). Maybe some missiles, ion cannons, some point defense. I thought Guardians will be hard nut to crack, but the only problem is their land defence with hundreds of troops (ah, never wanted to conquer Utopia anyway).

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”