import historical units

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: Vic

laska2k8

import historical units

Post by laska2k8 »

is there a way to import historical units from a flat/txt file ?
"Sa vida pro sa Patria"
Vic

RE: import historical units

Post by Vic »

Nope, you can only import them from another dc2 file. (editor->stng->import)
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
laska2k8

Post by laska2k8 »

thanks.

surely only "DB Case Blue" or "DB Warsaw" scenarios are compatible, not ATG ?

For my curiosity only, why didn't used XML or CSV separate files for data ?
There're a lot of parser and editor to make life easier for a modder.

addenum
"export txt names" from the string list lead to a CTD (System.IndexOutOfRangeException)
"Sa vida pro sa Patria"
Vic

Post by Vic »

Hi Laska,

I have started some early exploratory work on DC3 and am planning a complete overhaul of the editor as a main feature. I want to make it much easier to create your own scenarios.

The reason i did not use CSV files is that everything is connected.

The historical unit data structure has links to regimes, peoples and most importantly predefined units (that have links to the sftypes).

Export Text works fine with me with all the stringlists in current scenarios. With you as well? If so could you show me a screeny of your stringlist that gives problems?

Best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
laska2k8

Post by laska2k8 »

loaded 'campaign1.dc2' scenario, edit ...

Attachments
DB1.jpg
DB1.jpg (293.22 KiB) Viewed 721 times
"Sa vida pro sa Patria"
Vic

Post by Vic »

Ah i see. Yes the editor is really tough on the user in this instance. The button should not have been active while no stringlist is selected.

Try selecting an actual stringlist in the list to the left first and then pressing the export txt button.

Best,
Vic
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

easier editor huge plus, you should expect lots of mods ala at... user made scenariors and what ifs... thanks again for a great and fun game..
Im still re fighting june trying to stay on the timelime! lol
"Tanks forward"
Vic

Post by Vic »

@freeboy,

Yes its a big priority for me.

The hardcore full editor will still be there in DC3. It will enable designers to make new "rulesets".
These rulesets can be loaded by the medium-complexity editors below.

There will be medium-complexity editors for:
*Making maps
*Making historical unit libraries
*Making officer libraries
*Making equipment&troops libraries
*Making scripted event libraries

And then to top of it off a
*A Simple Editor that can easily import a map of choice and a number of the above libraries (as long as they belong to the same ruleset) and will even allow a low-complexity level designer to put together a running scenario. A step by step scenario design checklist and some testing-modes will be included to ensure functioning scenarios.

Thats the plan. And it should make it much easier for designers with different strengths to work together by each working on specific libraries. Also it will be much easier to re-use work.

Best,
Vic
Hugolin

Post by Hugolin »

Wow!
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

Im hoping for a two turn per week,
HITLER DIES IN 42, sanity comes to the old gaurd mod... for a western fron and then an eastern front.
Can I model through event chains, in the new editor which you are still creating, abstracted "card based" things like, "more subs, means less resources for you and MAYBE less for the enemy?"
putting in variable ratios with unknown till end results... ie to the card player, in two player game Allied would get, " increase in sub inflicted losses.. do you want to allocate to anti sub patrols? resulting in either A.. less losses to convoys and B less available resources for armor/ air in a theater.

?
Im hoping this is clear.. but we dont want to make this jewel of a simple game complex adding sea lanes etc.. I hope, but a simple either or card based system might be a way to handle the strategic side of the war.. ie production research and the attacks on these from the enemy...

THANKS VIC!!!!
"Tanks forward"
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

Vic,

would any of the below be possible after the Editor overhaul for DC3?

1. The editor could be back-ported to DCCB and DCWTP
2. If not, one could at least edit a new scenario in DC3 and open/play it in DC2
Joe
Vic

Post by Vic »

Hi Joe,

1+2. Are the same point. No sorrry. The new Simple Editor requires the scenarios (or should we say games) to be designed with making them editable in the Simple Editors in mind. The thing that makes the current editor so hideously complicated it that it allows you to build any system or game and its just to much for the newbee. The idea of the upcoming new simple editors is you only get presented with a subset of stuff to mod using a modular library-based approach.

Best,
Vic
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

I see, ok. Suits me well, just too bad the editor for the first two games will (most likely) stay as it is - so there will be less stimulae for potential scenario builders.

Is there any more documentation on the existing editor besides the PDF present in DCCB?
That one is indeed intimidating at first sight, but I know such documents are so only until you delve in and start working :)
Joe
Vic

Post by Vic »

The current editor is very powerfull as it is and is capable of making full stand-alone games on it self. The new editor will only provide a set of intermediate tools that will make it EASIER to edit at a loss of FLEXIBILITY. DC2 is not behind in anyway to any future titles. And anything significant new features will be back-ported.

The included Editor walkthrough should be a comprehensive document to get started. (Its including screenshots right? Just double-checking).

Reading the editor tutorials in the Advanced Tactics modding forums might also provide some help since the basics are the same.

Best,
Vic
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

Yep, screenshots abound in there, no worries :)
Just to find time to dive in...

Will check the AT forums for that added knowledge, thx!
Joe

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”