Spanish Civil War - advice

Post advice on tactics and strategies here; share your experience on how to become a better wargamer.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

sedmi patuljak

Spanish Civil War - advice

Post by sedmi patuljak »

After finishing excellent Call to arms scenario I am looking for some other interesting scenario to keep me busy. I found couple of scenarios of covering Spanish civil war on the rugged defense page, and I am interested which one would provide the best game if I want to play as Republic. Any advice on strategy would be most appreciated.
fulcrum90

RE: Spanish Civil War - advice

Post by fulcrum90 »

Try with "Agonia y Victoria" by Jose Maria Serrano...I like this scenario, good map, good OOB and it´s interesting and complicated for the Republican player.

Saludos !!
sedmi patuljak

Post by sedmi patuljak »

Thank you for your suggestion...it is time now to lead Republic to victory...They (nationalists and the Balrog) shall not pass! :D

Edit: After examination of my forces, it seems that I will have to be on defense in every front but Teruel salient. If I am not mistaken, Teruel was the area in which Republic started its great offensive in 1937.
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

ORIGINAL: fulcrum90

Try with "Agonia y Victoria" by Jose Maria Serrano...I like this scenario, good map, good OOB and it´s interesting and complicated for the Republican player.

Saludos !!

Ditto. Not, however, updated to OPART III. It still works though.

Vs. P.O. might be interesting for a human Republican. The other way around, it's a bit of a walkover, as the Republican P.O. fails to adequately defend against a thrust from the north aimed at surrounding Madrid.
I am not Charlie Hebdo
sedmi patuljak

Post by sedmi patuljak »

I played 15+ turns with Republicans against Nationalist PO and it was interesting game. Nationalist PO was attacking me across the front while I only attacked Teruel salient and after short fight surrounded Teruel and afterwards destroyed the pocket. Then, I noticed that Toledo is lightly guarded so I took it with intent to destroy the bridge and fall back...but to my surprise Nationalists did not close the gap so I pushed few units north of the river and in the same time sent extra units from the Teruel salient (Teruel pocked was taken so I could use extra units).

With some luck I managed to push north and surround large nationalist forces south of the Madrid. In that moment I thought I have the game in my hands, because if I can kill all those units now surrounded Nationalist will not recover. I waited for few turns before attacking surrounded forces to make sure that they are out of supply, but still my casualties were heavy. I lost about 13000 light rifle squads, 700 rifle squads, 300 engineers squad to name the few. I am not sure that I will have enough manpower left to hold the line, even though immediate danger for Madrid seem to be over.

Attachments
Image6Kopie.jpg
Image6Kopie.jpg (159.5 KiB) Viewed 173 times
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

It sounds a lot like JMS did not seriously try to design this for vs. P.O. play.

Nothing wrong with that...but it would make playing the P.O. less than satisfying.
I am not Charlie Hebdo
sedmi patuljak

Post by sedmi patuljak »

He designed it all right...very interesting scenario. Nationalists have more troops, better troops, better supply, far better aviation, and are pressing really hard. In the center I secured Madrid and PO did not really put much effort to attack, in the south initiative is on my side, I send few brigades there and managed to capture Granada but advance is extremely slow because of bad supply. Catalonia front is where things are really bad, enemy sent all reinforcements there (superior units compared to mine - plus I have serious problem with manpower) and created breakthrough...I will have to fill the gap with units I do not have in the theater so I need to pull them from center/south which is problematic because of constant aerial bombardment. It could end up like in the real life...Republics cut in half region of river Ebro.
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (94.89 KiB) Viewed 188 times

Return to “The War Room”