1945 Scenario Comments build 92

Strategic War in Europe is a grand strategy game where you command one or more of the 25 countries in the game. War, diplomacy, technological progress, recruitment, conquest – this is all in your hands. There are no restrictions to the actions you can perform during your turn: unit movement, purchase, attack, technology investment, reinforcement, all of those can be done at any moment during the turn.

Moderator: doomtrader

Omnius

1945 Scenario Comments build 92

Post by Omnius »

doomtrader,
I played the Allies this time and tried out the new improved nuclear blast effects. The reduction of the blast range to one hex and the reduced social unrest amounts make the use of nukes less overwhelming. Now getting 9 or 10 nukes per game and using them doesn't give the Allies such a huge advantage the way it did before your wise reductions. I also like the delay between finishing the nuke research and getting the first atomic bomb.

Taking out the two UK fleet carriers also made game balance better. Now the Allies can't totally dominate the Baltic area like before. I wasn't able to inflict such huge damage to that northernmost tank army and the Soviet AI did make it's normal northern attack wiping out the Canadians, sorry Canucks but Soviet hockey rules! The Soviet AI pushed to Essen before I stopped them but the Soviet AI did a poor job of defending Prague, Vienna and Budapest.

There sure were a lot of Soviet tank armies on normal level. A lot more than I could generate. I went more with Mech armies and prevailed with air power and nukes. A much better game than the version before.

I made the one normal correction of reducing the USA tech level to 4 from 5 and restored the two tech investment lightbulbs you took out after reading my initial comment about having those two lightbulbs remaining after the game looking dorky. When I look at the USA research screen after that adjustment on turn 1 the USA research looks consistent from top to bottom. It looks like the USSR submarine research needs one tech investment lightbulb since it has 5 progress, plus it would help with game balance and might inspire a human Soviet player to build some subs.
Omnius

Return to “Strategic War in Europe”