AAR - Hell on Wheels

Post reports of your great victories and disastrous defeats here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Yakstock

AAR - Hell on Wheels

Post by Yakstock »

I have been away for a while and just picked up BftB - I have always felt these were the best war games out there - unfortunately I only enjoyed live matches and it is often hard to find players. So I have a few players that have responded to my request for online play, but in the mean time I thought I would try an AAR against the computer on the Hell on Wheels Counterattack to hopefully get more people excited about how awesome this game is. This is a little scenario and I am trying to see if a dropbox link will work for the file I made - so this is a bit of a test. I wanted to play the scenario using two different strategies; 1) hold at all costs, and 2) a screening defense dropping back to better defensive positions. So far I have only tried the first and will be working on the second. I tried to highlight the aspects of this game that make it so much fun - you can go deep into the data, or not - your call, and same with orders - you can micro-manage or step back and trust the AI working for you - your call. Hope you enjoy the match - I did even though it was just against the AI (which is getting far better than it was)!

I hope most can find and view the file - but like I said - it is a bit of a test.

This link is one you can open with internet explorer (I hope) and view it even if you do not have PowerPoint:

https://www.dropbox.com/el/?r=/s/89lvq9 ... 0dh4o8GDEw

This link is if you have PowerPoint and just want to download a PowerPoint show:

https://www.dropbox.com/el/?r=/s/02kg5a ... PbMTUgC6JQ
budd

RE: AAR - Hell on Wheels

Post by budd »

I've always enjoyed your AAR's , very well done. The file opened in explorer no problem. I haven't picked up BFTB yet as the bulge isn't one of my favorites, but it is on my list with the redone HTTR scenarios requiring BFTB and the soon to be released redone COTA scenarios. Reading your AAR gives me the urge to play though, I played HTTR alot and your AAR's of that game helped push me to buy. Thanks again for the AAR, looking forward to part 2.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Yakstock

Post by Yakstock »

Thanks Budd - appreciate the comments. Just finished playing with the changed strategy. I have to say both results surprised me. Of course a lot has to do with what the AI does, and I think the AI played it more like I would have as the allied in this second round. Will try to work the AAR up this weekend.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Great job on the AAR Gary. Much appreictaed! [&o]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
heyhellowhatsnew

Post by heyhellowhatsnew »

This is awesome as hell man. Thanks! Make more of these. Informative AARs are crucial to growing the wargame community and teaching scared newbs like me to not be afraid of amazing games like this!
OldBlackNerd.com Grognard Gaming, Gaming videos and Current Events
Yakstock

Post by Yakstock »

Here is the final - includes both matches in one set of files (jump to slide 34 to skip first section from previous post):

First link is web based file (don't need PowerPoint just open with internet explorer):

https://www.dropbox.com/el/?r=/s/242hhz ... g7-thxzTug

Second link is PowerPoint Show (need PowerPoint - download and play it):

https://www.dropbox.com/el/?r=/s/8fmxyr ... WAvvX3OSgA

This link is the web version with just strategy two shown:

https://www.dropbox.com/el/?r=/s/tyckhy ... TBKT6k-ZCA

I really enjoy this game and making up the AAR - if you are on the edge - buy it - if you have it - play online versus human opponent - can't beat it.
budd

Post by budd »

excellent AAR again, thank you. You make me wish i had got the game during the holiday sale[:)]
AAR's for me are a great selling point, I put alot of weight on AAR's when making my purchasing choices. I'll wait for the COTA scenarios to be done and i'm hoping they will put together some package deal for BFTB, HTTR, COTA and maybe in a perfect world the legends title would be ready also and i could grab them all at once in a package. I'm hoping the patch will go final and COTA releases and it all happens the same day i get my tax refund[:D] as i always like to treat myself to a little something, thx again for efforts.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
heyhellowhatsnew

Post by heyhellowhatsnew »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

excellent AAR again, thank you. You make me wish i had got the game during the holiday sale[:)]
AAR's for me are a great selling point, I put alot of weight on AAR's when making my purchasing choices.

I completely agree with this. I wish devs realized this.
OldBlackNerd.com Grognard Gaming, Gaming videos and Current Events
Remmes

Post by Remmes »

Great read; thanks for posting.
mantrain

Post by mantrain »

One of the beter AAR's I have ever viewed. Fantastic work!
petdocvmd

Post by petdocvmd »

Awesome AAR - and 2 for 1 [&o]

After modeling my own first AAR after your equally excellent "We Fight and Die Here" AAR, I am aware of the huge amount of time and effort you put into these! I ask your pardon if my AAR seem a poor copy of yours - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery [:D]!

The results here are a little surprising. Did you issue "delay" orders to retreating troops, or did you mimic that order with timed iterations of "defend" orders (it looks like the latter, but not certain)?

I'm getting ready for this one, and my inclination is to try implementing extremely granular command i.e. individual unit orders to position my defense precisely where I want it. That way I can force myself to better learn force composition, and placement of forces that maximizes type of unit / terrain compatibility. Based on your results, my instinct is to use "hold at all cost" for certain key chokepoints, and "delay" orders for the units in-between these (with the thought of them falling back to second level chokepoints which they in turn will hold at all cost."

This is a fascinating and complex game (perhaps combat simulator would be more appropriate). Best $ I ever invested in such a product - so many scenarios, many variations on each, and often playable from Axis or Allied side!

Thanks for the great AAR - an inspiration to all [:)]

-Scott
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Lovely, Gary. Really interesting AAR. Can you try Manhay Crossroads as Axis and post it? I've found it one of the most difficult to do really well at (as Axis). Would love to see how you tackle it.

Return to “After Action Reports”