How to win?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Kullervon

How to win?

Post by Kullervon »

I'm new to this forum. I've played a lot of games and Steel Panthers led me to the site. I love playing PG and then I bought Panzer Corps because the guy who wrote PG Forever was recruited for PC. I wanted something different over the holiday break. I've played MOO2 and MOO3 and DW seemed interesting so I bought. DW crashed a lot. ROS was more stable but still crashed sometimes. Legends is really stable.

I've played a few games now. It seem I have two results: I get behind almost right away and when the refugees come out with their planet destroyers they start wiping me out because my tech is not enough to stop them. The other is that I become strong, find and repair a planet destroyer, and when they start the war, I first destroy their 2 planet destroyers and then use mine to kill their planet and I win. I don't start any wars and keep a good reputation which makes it easy to get trade and then mutual defense treaties with a lot of the other races. I find I have to make sure I have strong fleets on my planets closest to the Shakturi planet and then can kill their planet destroyers and my win is easy.

I'd like to get into a bit more micro-management like designing better ships but there doesn't seem to be any good guide that provides tables showing the performance parameters of the different engines, armor, weapons, etc. Does anyone have one? I'd also like to be able to explore my galaxy better but the game always comes to a conclusion too soon. Any advice?
Bingeling

RE: How to win?

Post by Bingeling »

My advice? Slow down research (and thus the game). Forget victory conditions (make sure they never trigger, either by 100% requirement or very long minimum time (not sure if time is possible). Disable story lines. Smell the roses with no stress of artificial time limits or pesky refugees. Reducing home world qualities should also slow down the early game further.

The key in designs is enough energy to fire guns and cruise at the same time. When it comes to components, I don't find it too bad, but I got no mini-max source.

Different lines of tech (where alternatives) got different benefits. I don't think it is too hard to get the hang on choices for tech. Pay notice to the trends. I don't have the game open, and don't know tech by heart, but I think energy is like:

One shield line has more strength, another recharge faster.

One reactor line has more beef, look for reactor size and fuel economy on the other, and how upgrades look. If you design yourself, maybe split fighting and non-fighting ships on fuel to spread the need?

Hyper drives are those using little fuel, those "jumping" fast, and those travelling fast. What do you prefer?

Engines have efficiency vs power, I think.

ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Kullervon

I'd like to get into a bit more micro-management like designing better ships but there doesn't seem to be any good guide that provides tables showing the performance parameters of the different engines, armor, weapons, etc. Does anyone have one? I'd also like to be able to explore my galaxy better but the game always comes to a conclusion too soon. Any advice?
Hello Kullervon and welcome to the forums! [:)]

Review the following threads, I believe you'll find them both very informative and help
answer some of your questions! Bingeling's advise above is spot on as well. Hope this helps!

1.) http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2686169

2.) http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2994893
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Kullervon

Post by Kullervon »

I took your advice and turned the technology development to the slowest and turned off the Shakturi. This makes for a much more interesting and longer game. It makes finding and fixing those derelict space craft really important and you have to figure out how to kill the Giant Kaltors guarding them. I also learned how quickly the reputation can fall. One race that I was neutral with had started to repair a planet destroyer and I did not want to go to war so I tried to drive away their construction ship but it would not go so I destroyed the planet destroyer. My reputation went to despicable and a group of planets mostly populated by aliens broke away from my empire. I killed pirates and raised my reputation back to admirable pretty quickly. I also managed to repair another 2 planet destroyers. It took a while but now I'm winning but have a long way to go.

How to kill the silver mists? Even Ion cannon's don't work too well.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Ion Cannons and PLENTY of Fighters....Silvermists hate Fighters! [:D]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

Ion Cannons and PLENTY of Fighters....Silvermists hate Fighters! [:D]

I found out about the fighters by accident. Had about 50 fighters in a fleet and was freaking out because I had limited Ion Cannons. Next thing I knew my fighters had taken out all 4 silvermists that were starting to munch on my fleet. Granted, I still lost a few ships but nothing compared to previous losses against the same encounter.

I generally don't play with monsters on these days. Just a little too much frustration for my liking. [:@]

Return to “The War Room”