just got the sim question

Harpoon Ultimate Edition is the best and most comprehensive compilation of computer Harpoon games ever assembled! The two flagship products in the Harpoon line up, Advanced Naval Warfare and Commanders Edition come highly expanded and improved from their previous versions. More than twenty classic versions of Harpoon are also included! Harpoon - Ultimate Edition is the most powerful and complete modern naval warfare simulation on the market and a must have for any Harpoon fan!
leftydad

just got the sim question

Post by leftydad »

I just bought the sim, and there are now 4 icons on my desktop. Which is the best one to start with for a beginner like me? (And why are there 4 icons instead of just one?)
James
JSF

RE: just got the sim question

Post by JSF »

Hello,

a hearty welcome!

The icons represent different versions of computer Harpoon:

Harpoon 3.10 ANW Ultimate Edition
Harpoon 3.9.4 ANW
Harpoon 3.6.3

and

Harpoon Ultimate Commander´s Edition.

The first three base on Harpoon 2 with 3.6.3 being the oldest version and 3.10 the newest.

The Commander´s Edition Edition is the latest version of Harpoon Classic, with roots back to the first Computer Harpoon.

Thus there are two "families" of Computer Harpoon. Both have their fans and active communities.

I would recommend that you dig in the current ANW v 3.10 UE and in Commander´s Edition. Compare them and find your own favourite.

3.9.4 is 3.10 ´s predecessor and 3.6.3 is much older.

Hope that helps.
panzer56

Post by panzer56 »

Which is the best one to start with for a beginner like me? (And why are there 4 icons instead of just one?)[/quote]
Watch this video to see the difference between the game versions:

Harpoon Classic and Harpoon3 Comparison

Afterwards, try:

Installing the PlayersDB
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Personally I wouldn't click on any of those icons, crazy I know.  For HC (Harpoon Ultimate Commander's Edition)  go to your installation directory (by default C:\Matrix Games\HUCE) and run Winharp32.exe directly.

For the H3 (Harpoon 3, ANW, ...) go to the respective game directory (also under C:\Matrix Games by default) and run the H3Launch.exe program.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
ird

Post by ird »

ORIGINAL: TonyE

Personally I wouldn't click on any of those icons, crazy I know.  For HC (Harpoon Ultimate Commander's Edition)  go to your installation directory (by default C:\Matrix Games\HUCE) and run Winharp32.exe directly.

For the H3 (Harpoon 3, ANW, ...) go to the respective game directory (also under C:\Matrix Games by default) and run the H3Launch.exe program.

What difference does it make if you open through the icons or through the directory?
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

ORIGINAL: ird
What difference does it make if you open through the icons or through the directory?

The launchers from Matrix had issues early on but I think they've been fine the last few releases. I'm just old fashioned. Going more directly to the programs has the side benefit of exposing how the files are laid out which will help when you start playing with user-created scenarios and databases and utilities and such. There is a ton of material beyond what ships with the games!
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

Return to “Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition”