Having difficulty winning as the Humans

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

SecuransRule

Having difficulty winning as the Humans

Post by SecuransRule »

After a whole string of wins with the Securans, I've tried the Humans now about five times and can't seem to get a win. Playing the humans is great, at least esthetically, what with the Star Trek Picard-era ships, Star Trek music, and Eve Online avatars heroes mods I've been using, but concerning actual game play I've been struggling for my first win with them. Is it just a case of maybe the Securans fit my mildly war-averse and turtling play style better, or is there some catch to winning with the Humans?

Also, I've been thinking about invoking the time limit on future games to keep them from going on forever, but I have absolutely no sense of the passage of game years when playing. Can anyone make a recommendation on what would be a good max number of years to set a game at?

Cruis.In

RE: Having difficulty winning as the Humans

Post by Cruis.In »

you have on victory conditions?
SecuransRule

Post by SecuransRule »

ORIGINAL: Cruis.In

you have on victory conditions?

Yes I do.

FYI, I honored a treaty obligation and went to war, and by the end of the war I was in the lead, but the victory slider is still progressing awfully slow, and it still looks like the game could go one for quite a while longer.

I would add though that the war was a blast. The AI did a very clever Pearl Harbor on me, and just as I was ready to throw in the towel, things started going my way.

Concerning the victory conditions, I suspect that the human continental planet requirement is hamstringing me a little. Oh well, guess there's nothing for it but to sit tight and wait for another war to pop up through my treaty obligations.

Another thing I like about this game is that unlike a lot of other 4X games, you can actually notice the difference in and out of battle of your tech upgrades. Also, the DW ships may not look like SINS, but the large fleet actions with the Picard-era ships look great and are every bit as fun to watch as the SINS battles.

Anyway, I'm anxious to wrap this one up and get back to my Securans. I gave them the SINS Advent ships mod. The Advent Matriarchy seems a perfect fit for the Securans. ;)
SecuransRule

Post by SecuransRule »

Wow! I finally got a win with the Humans, and in my two months of playing DW it was my hardest won victory yet. Also, it ended with a very unsatisfactory war where I lost my best admiral and four troop generals. [:(]

Again, I suspect that the Securans fit my play style a bit better than the humans did. It seems with the Securans you just need to create a medium-sized empire then sit back and build up your trade and tourism infrastructure. With the humans though, I think the continental planet victory condition forces the human player to be a bit more expansionist and conquest minded.

Anyway, I think I'm going to play it safe and go back to the Securans. ;) It will be cool using the SINS Advent ships.

Attachments
Terrans34.jpg
Terrans34.jpg (306.93 KiB) Viewed 78 times
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I don't usually play with victory conditions, but I would expect a main difference between races to be the racial victory conditions?

Humans:
25% - Control 33% of all continentals
25% - Mutual defense pact with 15%
20% - Destroy more ships and bases than you lose
15% - Most trade
15% - Most tourism

Securans
25% - Most resort bases
25% - Free trade or better with 50% of the galaxy
25% - Most tourism income
25% - Happiest population

I would think the humans struggle with the continentals and need a good mix of war mongering, trade, and buddies.
The securan seems much easier, at least if they place their horde of resort bases at decent spots.
Antiscamp

Post by Antiscamp »

I played the humans for a couple of games too, and had some problems with them as well. Like has been mentioned already, I think it's the human victory condition with the Continental colonies that make them this much of a dilemma. Otherwise they're quite cool.

I had some real fun with the humans, but I'm probably not going to play them again. I'm into the Kiadians now, just because their lore race description is to my liking, and then I'm going to play some of the rodent races.
martok

Post by martok »

Congrats on your victory SR! Well done. [:)]

I suspect Bingeling has it right in that playing as the Humans requires a more mixed approach, especially compared to the Securans. I've played both, and I too find the latter to be a little more suited to my turtling, peacenik ways. [;)]

(By the by, how did you get two Securan empires in your game? Did you set it up that way deliberately, or did it just happen to work out that way?)

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Spacehawk

Post by Spacehawk »

In my very first game, I played a human empire and had only the race victory conditions active. The other two empires were Naxxilian and Shandar, so they were not very interested in continental planets. Talk about beginner's luck [:D]
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Spacehawk

In my very first game, I played a human empire and had only the race victory conditions active. The other two empires were Naxxilian and Shandar, so they were not very interested in continental planets. Talk about beginner's luck [:D]

I usually have my worst enemy right next door.
Try expanding when the Mandalorian Death Watch are sending agents every 15 second and making all manner of mischief.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”