Convoy question

Time of Fury spans the whole war in Europe and gives players the opportunity to control all types of units, ground, air and naval. Not only that, each player will be able to pick a single country or selection of countries and fight his way against either the AI or in multiplayer in hotseat or Play by E-Mail. This innovative multiplayer feature will give player the chance to fight bigger scenarios against many opponents, giving the game a strategic angle that has no equal in the market. The game uses Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.

Moderator: doomtrader

MarkWayneClark

Convoy question

Post by MarkWayneClark »

This one has me stumped.

When I played the Overlord scenario (as Alllies) I did the obvious thing, go ashore, take Caen, set up a suppy convy to Caen, then take Cherbourg and Havre, repeat, etc. Worked fine, all troops well supplied.

I moved on to the Gotterdamerung scenario and that one starts right after Anzio, so there is already a supply convoy into Naples. There is, at the beginning of the scenario, a British infantry corps in Naples. I have noticed several times that as soon as I move that corps out of the city, the convy is cancelled and all my British units suffer a huge supply drop, and effectiveness penalty. The message in the convoy window says something like "No units there that need them" which is obviously not true.

Why does this happen? It did not happen in the Overlord scenario. I did not need to leave units in the cities to keep the supplies flowing. Seems like a huge waste, not to mention unrealistic, to tie up a whole corps indefinitely just to receive supplies.
gwgardner

RE: Convoy question

Post by gwgardner »

it's a bug.

Do a split of one corps, and leave a much reduced strength corps there in the city, see if that keeps the supply flowing.

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: gwgardner
it's a bug.

Do a split of one corps, and leave a much reduced strength corps there in the city, see if that keeps the supply flowing.

I was also going to suggest that, but you have to take your Corps out of the city first (but leave adjacent), because the split-off section is going to be frozen when formed and you will need to create it in the city hex at the time you make the split. The remainder of the Corps will be free to move next turn, whilst the smaller section is frozen for several turns, but defending the city. [:)]

This is what happens if you split the Corps in Naples before moving it first, split-off unit frozen.
Attachments
TimeOfFury..142051.jpg
TimeOfFury..142051.jpg (111.95 KiB) Viewed 59 times
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

And

Split after moving CAN 1st Corps out of Naples first, split-off unit is still frozen, but is defending Naples.[:)]
Attachments
TimeOfFury..285904.jpg
TimeOfFury..285904.jpg (110.38 KiB) Viewed 59 times

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

MarkWayneClark

Post by MarkWayneClark »

If you move the CAN 1st Corps out of Naples, you can't split that same turn, which means there will be no corps in Naples at the end of the turn, which means that the convoy will be cancelled.

How about this bug just be fixed??
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

funny man

MarkWayneClark

Post by MarkWayneClark »

Seems reasonable to me.
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

It is reasonable but unlikely to happen...
"Don’t you think that if I were wrong, I’d know it?"
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: Mark Clark
If you move the CAN 1st Corps out of Naples, you can't split that same turn, which means there will be no corps in Naples at the end of the turn, which means that the convoy will be cancelled.

How about this bug just be fixed??
I intend to use the Gotterdammerung scenario to test personal house rules for amphibious operations against the AI, so just ran through a few turns to look at the convoy problem and found the reason why I hadn't noticed the convoy problem before is because it doesn't happen for UK and US units in my game.

First turn, I moved the CAN 1st Corps out of Naples in preparation for dropping a holding unit back into Naples after a 10% split (1 strength point) from 1st CAN. The London/Naples, New York/Naples convoys still reported success, UK and US forces continued to get good supply at 26/27 (but the French Exp Force only gets 8 from Naples and have no sea transport points for their own convoy, nor the PPs to buy them).

I have used the F12 feature to add PPs to the Free French, bought STP and created a convoy Algiers/Naples and that got supply for the French Exp Corps in Italy up to the same levels as UK and US units.

In the case of the Free French, it's not so much a bug, as a faulty set-up in the Gotterdammerung scenario, I don't know what would cause a problem with supply for UK and US units, as I don't see it. This is running update 1.03bv3 (what version are you using) and started with 'Custom Game' (which I always use to start games). I know there have been problems in the past with 'Quick Start' and I don't use it.

I think the editor is a major weakness in the game as it is not easy to use, the stock scenarios have faults in them, which the editor can be used to fix, or to provide a wider range of better scenarios, but it's hard work.

This is not intended to excuse the problems in the game, but if I can find a work-around to correct a fault, or to adjust something I think is un-realistic, then that's what I do and the game has the features and settings to make this possible in many cases. If the DEVS can provide a permanent fix then that's even better.

Return to “Time of Fury”