newby needs tons of help

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Gallo Rojo

newby needs tons of help

Post by Gallo Rojo »

Cheers!
after many years (decades) playing tactical games I've moved to strategic terrain.
So I bought WiE, installed, read the manual...
... but I'm still totally lost ...I don't have a clue about what should I do. [&:]

I was especially frustrated by the manual. I have the feeling that the manual assumes the player either have played strategic games level before (probably GG's War in Russia) or has a knowledge about what the game is about. Yes, I know is about Eastern Front in WWII (doh!), and that I will win if I take victory objectives (cities). But besides those basics, what my different units are and what are they for? I have the general impression that I should be attacking the front line and try to encircle enemy unit, and keep moving my mech units forwards and leave the infantry to clean the "pockets"... but in addition to that I don't know how to do it tactically, that I have no clue about what the strategic goals are. So what's the "big picture"?

is it there a series of tutorials (besides the tutorial in the game which wasn't very helpful for me at leas) walking me through the different aspects of the game? (logistics, tactics, production, etc). Any post that I should be reading?

thanks in advance
The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end
DaBoost

RE: newby needs tons of help

Post by DaBoost »

I suppose this is the obvious answer, but I would recommend reading some AAR's. I think they're a great tool for learning tips on what to avoid doing and what to pay attention to.

I would suggest starting with the "road to Leningrad" scenario to get your feet wet. There was actually an AAR of sorts that went into more detail how the game system works and I thought it was nice, but I can't recall who made it though. Also it got cut off for whatever reason. I'm sure there's plenty of similar posts in the AAR section though.

Best of luck.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

I did a sort of an explanatory Road to Minsk AAR. It might help you get some info on what to do. However that is for that scenario only.

1. what my different units are
2. and what are they for?
3. I have the general impression that I should be attacking the front line and try to encircle enemy unit, and keep moving my mech units forwards and leave the infantry to clean the "pockets"...
4. but in addition to that I don't know how to do it tactically,
5. that I have no clue about what the strategic goals are. So what's the "big picture"?

1 and 2. I made these two pictures to try to explain those.
click here

3 and 4. That is correct. What you want to do, is to start your move by attacking the enemy frontline with your infantry, to make a hole in the enemy line, atleast 3 hexes wide. Do this in both ends of the pocket you wish to create. When that is done, move infantry in as far into the breach as possible, then let the panzers/mechanized units move in to close the gap. If the enemy is well dug in, you will probably need to make those initial attacks as deliberate attacks (hold shift down and select stacks adjacant to the enemy unit, then click on the enemy to attack). Keep in mind that these attacks cost more movement points (MP) than hasty attacks (click the stack you want to attack with, and then click again on the enemy stack), but have a better chance of success.

5. Depends if you play the Axis or the USSR.
For the USSR it is all about being Muhammed Ali doing the Rope-a-dope. You need to hang in there and take a pounding, making sure you do not succomb untill the enemy is worn down and you are ready to strike. This means relocating your factories out of harms way, keeping your best units alive, not losing too many units in -42 and early -43. Before converting from divisional strength to corps strength and finally strike back at the Axis.

As the Axis, the goal is to take as many victory locations as you need to win the game (not easily done). You do however need to keep an eye out for when the time comes that you are no longer able to attack the enemy and win. At this time you need to keep your frontline as short as possible, and stay in fortified hexes.
Main targets for the Axis are;
*Leningrad - taking LG will allow the Fins to attack past the "no attack line"
*Moscow - well, it is Mosow [:D] Apart from that, Moscow consists of 3 city hexes with ALOT of manpower in them. Denying those manpower to the USSR can be vital (or so I am told as I always fail with this anyway[:D]).
*Donets basin - open terrain is a wet dream for the Axis early on, as it means the best oppertunity to pocket enemy units. Destroyed USSR units means fewer units will be able to attack you later on in the war.
*Any factory you can get your hands on. Any factory you take out will not produce anything for the USSR.
*As many manpower centres as you can take (see Moscow).

For more specific answers, just ask and the forumites will usually respond rather quickly.

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

Hi Gallo. Play the tutorial and follow along with the tutorial PDF. It will give you a little bit of a running start.

From there play the road to scenarios over and over. I'd say start out with Road to Minsk and work your way up to the longer scenarios.

With the monster wargames you'll never learn everything in a week or even a month, be patient , play the game , read tips in the forum and you'll be learning new things every day.

This really is a superb game and worth the learning curve.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

I wrote a fairly short "never played this kind of game before" type of tutorial that might be of some help to you, at least to learn your way around the game's interface:

tm.asp?m=3234529
Gallo Rojo

Post by Gallo Rojo »

Thanks about your answers guys [:)]
I've just realized that the pdf manual comes with some sections (logistics, production,etc.) that are not covered by the hard-copy manual (the one I've read). So I'll take a look at it and come back with new questions sooner than later.

I'll try on playing the smaller scenarios before I attempt a full campaign too. So far I've played Road to Minsk both sides and achieved a decisive victory both with germans and soviets (what makes me believe the AI may be really stupid).

a couple of quick questions though:

are those 'dots' in the railroad useful for anything? (ie: is it there where the supplies come from?)
Is it a good idea to aim my pincer attacks against them?

how do I know when a unit is isolated? (I've tryied the 'show isolated units' button but doesn't seems to work)

I assume the newly produced units (only in campaings?) pop out in the factory hexes, and then I have to transport them by railroads to the front, am I right?
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

The AI is not that stupid. Just ratchet it up a notch or two and find out how nasty it can be!

Realistically, the AI should be at 105 at all settings vs 100 for you for a good challenge while you learn - afterwards you can increase that by however much you can handle.
Gallo Rojo

Post by Gallo Rojo »

ORIGINAL: carlkay58

The AI is not that stupid. Just ratchet it up a notch or two and find out how nasty it can be!

I meant no offence [:)]
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

None taken, just warning you! Actually the best thing to do to learn the game is go over the rules briefly. Play the tutorial game. Then play the Road to scenarios as the Germans. The attack tactics are easier to learn and it being 1941 you can allow the computer to handle the SUs and air management side without too much fuss. Then play the Road to scenarios as the Soviets to start learning army organizations and a bit more of SU and air management. Do all of this with the computer as an equal (100 vs 100). This should give you a sufficient edge to counteract your inexperience.

Once you have gotten cocky - up the AI to 110 vs your 100. I keep myself at 100 so I can get used to the levels of support and such that I would have vs another human. This gives you a good feel for what you have to work with in a normal game. When you feel great about yourself at this point, you have done fairly well on your way to learning and being comfortable with the game.

Then you post something in the Looking for Opponent section and get humbled by a real human opponent . . . . :)
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

"dots" are towns ranging from 1 to 4 in size
as german you will like their possibility to protect your troops
new units arrive on border of map frequently
as russian if you build unit it must be in/adjacent to a urban hex

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”