dw online?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Cruis.In

dw online?

Post by Cruis.In »

http://novusaeterno.com/

check the media page. Yeh yeh silly comparison. But, real time, space, exploring, expanding etc, NOVus isn't just an RTS, it's kind of a 4x. It's more 4x than simple rts. You build up your own planets, design your own ships, explore nearby worlds, colonize.

Only thing your opponents are now other players, in a persistent online universe. So imagine diplomacy with a russian player!

(horrors of eve alliance warfare come to mind in terms of them russians, nasty evil people!)

so many cool space games on the radar, we complained not enough 1 year ago and now?

Star citizen i mean the total complete package, fps combat, in your ship, walking around, your crew, all in real time and seamless...jump out your ship hatch the game keeps going....jet pack to another ship, or an asteroid and walk around on it...awesome space combat, capital ships, fighter craft dogfighting... awesome graphics....cool storyline if you like that, playing with friends, friends inside your ship. Eject em from an airlock if they piss you off :)

Elite: seamless procedural exploration sandbox, graphics look good, gameplay looking nice from the previews so far...

NOVUS: awesome looking, kind of reminds of me of a cross between DW, starcraft and Eve. Persistent, real time, awesomeness in space.

Limit Theory: Looks promising but not sure what it can do that the rest above cannot...

ooo, good bye professional life, goodbye wife....me and my son gaming in space forever!

any ideas how to get him hooked on space games? He's seven and loves minecraft. He needs some visceral action?
ASHBERY76

RE: dw online?

Post by ASHBERY76 »

MMO,meh.
Cruis.In

Post by Cruis.In »

other players make the most challenging AI
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

MMO design is about grinding stats and not player skill.
Cruis.In

Post by Cruis.In »

hmm why dont you try reading about this particular MMO and not 'mmos'

things can change you know, it's called innovation.
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

ORIGINAL: Cruis.In

other players make the most challenging AI

I play computer games because I don't like people. So, for me, playing a computer game with other people sort of defeats the purpose.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

Q: Will Downloadable Content be an additional charge?
A: All future expansions and content updates will be received by each player at no extra charge. Capital ships will also have a limited free use. This free use period will be rotated between all capital ships, which will allow all players the ability to use them. When the Free use period expires, the capital ship will have to be bought using in game resources or points bought from the in game store.

Its a pay to win not a play to win ... so not really worth the binary it was created from [8|]

Darkspire
JosEPhII

Post by JosEPhII »

Just another way to gamble your hard earned money away. And in the end you don't even get a lolipop. [:'(]

JosEPh
"old and slow.....Watch out!"
Cruis.In

Post by Cruis.In »

ah but how is paying to use a capital ship pay to win? You didn't read the rest. You can only use one capital ship at a time. Doesn't sway anything.

http://novusaeterno.com/?page_id=62

Novus Aeterno will be a one time fee, no subscriptions, free mandatory expansion packs.

We will sell skins not wins. (no gameplay modifiers via paying real money)
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: Cruis.In

ah but how is paying to use a capital ship pay to win? You didn't read the rest. You can only use one capital ship at a time. Doesn't sway anything.

http://novusaeterno.com/?page_id=62

Novus Aeterno will be a one time fee, no subscriptions, free mandatory expansion packs.

We will sell skins not wins. (no gameplay modifiers via paying real money)

So whats the 'real money' for then? And yes I did read it, comments are somewhat ambiguous in various places, example;
Capital ships are race specific but alien ship can be built if the correct technology has been captures. Players build capital ships using in game resources or points purchased from the game store. Players will be required to unlock some capital ships for permanent use but all capital ships will be placed in a Free rotation period, allowing all players access to all Capital ships be they unlocked or not. This rotation period will continue indefinitely.

No mention of how the 'unlock' is obtained, 'real money' perhaps?

I thought after the debacle that was Space Empires that this sort of manipulation had died the death it deserves, obviously not.

Darkspire
Sypheria5

Post by Sypheria5 »

Hi. Main developer of NA here. I would like to clarify a few assumptions if that's okay with Matrix Games staff.
ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

MMO design is about grinding stats and not player skill.

NA has no stats to grind. It is purely skill based game where a very weak unit can single-handedly take down a large unit with the correct tactics. Quite often a "weaker" fleet wins just by being in the hands of a more skilled or logical thinker. Gameplay is slower than your traditional twitch RTS to allow more time for tactical decisions rather than whoever can accurately click 400-500 times a minute.

We are just a bunch of 20 year old gamers making the game we want to play. We have no publishers to answer to, only ourselves. Grinding is a tool used by business oriented companies to drain players wallets via power based consumables or subscriptions by padding out smaller quantities of content.
ORIGINAL: Darkspire

So whats the 'real money' for then? And yes I did read it, comments are somewhat ambiguous in various places, example;
Capital ships are race specific but alien ship can be built if the correct technology has been captures. Players build capital ships using in game resources or points purchased from the game store. Players will be required to unlock some capital ships for permanent use but all capital ships will be placed in a Free rotation period, allowing all players access to all Capital ships be they unlocked or not. This rotation period will continue indefinitely.

No mention of how the 'unlock' is obtained, 'real money' perhaps?

I thought after the debacle that was Space Empires that this sort of manipulation had died the death it deserves, obviously not.

Darkspire

Capital ship designs are permanently obtained by in-game resources. This would be akin to using vespene gas and minerals from Starcraft to unlock research. It is also possible to purchase the design unlock with real money; however, you still must construct the ship with in-game resources like every other player thus necessitating the need for a economical backbone in the game.

You find this system used in League of Legends where you may permanently unlock a champion for free after 4-70 games or pay real money to immediately unlock a champion.

I'm sorry for some of our information being outdated. We don't really have the manpower to go around fixing everything and develop the game at the same time.

I hope you found this helpful.

Planetary Annihilation, Star command, Maia and Predestination are a few other kickstarter space games I'm excited for.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Sypheria5
Grinding is a tool used by business oriented companies to drain players wallets via power based consumables or subscriptions by padding out smaller quantities of content.

The main focus of NA is PvP, so you're trying to cash in on people's competitive instincts to get them to cough up more money for advantages (pay-to-win). Brilliant. Never seen that model before. How original.
It is also possible to purchase the design unlock with real money; however, you still must construct the ship with in-game resources...

Short form explanation:
It's a PvP-focussed game. He who pays most, wins most.

You're giving a distinct advantage to the player who's willing to part with (the most) cash.

Let's not have any of this puerile nonsense claims of money not giving a distinct advantage. Instant research and designs, at the very least, have to be considered significant.

It's a failed business model. This has been tried in several games - and guess what? They all failed. Do you really think yours will be any different? Really? Think again.
ORIGINAL: NA website
http://novusaeterno.com/?page_id=31
Q: Why is it called Novus Aeterno and what does it mean?
A: Novus Aeterno is Latin for “new beginning of time”.

Hrm? Seems that it's "new eternity". My Latin is rusty and never was very good, but if my translation of "novus aeterno" is correct, then your first chance at a good impression has been woefully squandered.

But on the bright side of things, the site is so riddled with spelling and grammatical errors that I doubt anyone would notice.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Sypheria5

Post by Sypheria5 »

Research isn't sold. It has to be unlocked directly in game.

Capital ship designs are not power they are just different play styles and again require in-game requires and a backbone to be used at all. If you can't afford to unlock it in-game in the first place, you cant afford to build a capital ship.

Gameplay modifiers such as +50% damage for 1 day are not sold. So no power is being sold at all.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

Research isn't sold. It has to be unlocked directly in game.

That's very confusing.

You stated that designs can be purchased with cash. Then you stated, "This would be akin ... to unlock research. It is also possible to purchase the design unlock with real money" - which says to me that design purchase is a step (perhaps requiring research as well) to fulfilling the requirements to build a ship. Skipping one phase (design) is an advantage - the extent of which is based on the relative costs for each step.

That's pay-to-win. $$$ == advantage. To claim it isn't is disingenuous.
Capital ship designs are not power they are just different play style

That's in direct contradiction to your own site's statement, "Each capital ship ...can turn the tide of almost any battle.".

They can turn the tide of almost any battle, yet you insist that they don't equate to game power? Those two statements are directly contradictory.

Powerful, battle-turning ship - which you can get different designs of - giving you more flexibility in combat (as you can have one in play at any one time, but any number in storage). How isn't that pay-to-win?
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

Return to “General Discussion”