The Battlegroup Screen

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog is the first new release (not a re-make of a previous games) in years in the critically acclaimed Close Combat series. It details the desperate German counter-attack at Mortain, the last chance of the Wehrmacht to stave off defeat in Normandy. Can you match the tenacity of the American defenders of Hill 314? Or can you succeed where the Panzers failed, driving through to the sea and changing history? Improved 32-bit graphics and the ability to control more squads than ever bring the Close Combat engine to a new level.
Death Method

The Battlegroup Screen

Post by Death Method »

Is anyone else having trouble discerning what German units are what in the BG screen? I understand the basics and whatnot of what a panzer IV is and what its capable of. But not being a German speaker, I don't really know what I'm looking at when I see 'Schwere Zug [gp]' and the like. Also, why were the little descriptions of the names of the weapons removed?
topper6

RE: The Battlegroup Screen

Post by topper6 »

+1 regarding why the names of the weapons are removed.
nietsche

Post by nietsche »

Agreed about the weapon names. It is a factor in unit selection and small things make a difference.
Hard work is a good way to succeed. There is less competition that way...
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Agreed, I miss the tool tips too....
WoT

Post by WoT »

agreed +1
Manu

Post by Manu »

yes bring it back Steve! Is it possible?
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

I will look at how/where I can improve the descriptive text for this screen.  Hopefully this will be included in the update but I cannot swear to it at this moment. :)

Manu

Post by Manu »

thanks![&o]
Sapa

Post by Sapa »

I cant find a smiley how to bang myself in the head...
squadleader_id

Post by squadleader_id »

Weapon names and additional descriptive text should be re-included in the menu screens.
Please also bring back unit info gadgets on the top left of the Soldier Screens! [&o]

Here's the LSA Soldier Screen for comparison:

VonManstein

Post by VonManstein »

ORIGINAL: Death Method

Is anyone else having trouble discerning what German units are what in the BG screen? I understand the basics and whatnot of what a panzer IV is and what its capable of. But not being a German speaker, I don't really know what I'm looking at when I see 'Schwere Zug [gp]' and the like. Also, why were the little descriptions of the names of the weapons removed?

I agree also
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
nietsche

Post by nietsche »

I agree that this is something that is needed and missing. One other piece of information that is needed is the force composition of units on the strategic map. That is an important part of the decision making for movement and understanding what the unit is capable of achieving. Just seeing what the current active teams are is not enough. You need to know what is in reserve and what quality is there.

All of that information would normally be available to a commander in considerable detail.
Hard work is a good way to succeed. There is less competition that way...
topper6

Post by topper6 »

I have two suggestions/bugs to report regarding the battlegroup screen.

1. Let's say you are in the battlegroup screen. I select a team in the support platoon and then choose to hit the map. I look around on the map and when i close it the game has returned to highlighting the first platoon (top platoon on the bg screen). It's annyoing to then again go down and select the support team, re-scroll down the support unit list and get back to where i was from the beginning.

2. Is it reasonable to think that if you select a towable at-gun that you could get a truck "for free"? The truck in itself is, in my opinion, never a conseriderable option compared to other support teams that I rank much more useful (?). With sometimes a very limited amount of teams to select for support, that's my suggestion or idea.

Return to “Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog”