Still the best Axis and Allies alternative ever made

Gary Grigsby’s World at War is back with a whole new set of features. World at War: A World Divided still gives complete control over the production, research and military strategy for your side, but in this new updated version you’ll also be able to bring spies into the mix as well as neutral country diplomacy, variable political events and much more. Perhaps the largest item is the ability to play a special Soviet vs. Allies scenario that occurs after the end of World War II.

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

Lebatron

Still the best Axis and Allies alternative ever made

Post by Lebatron »

Back to enjoying this game again. Still after 6 years it's legs are holding up fine. A true classic gem.
Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
sixtysix

RE: Still the best Axis and Allies alternative ever made

Post by sixtysix »

I couldn't agree more, I'm still getting my feet wet with the world divided add on (just bought it, one can't spend a Christmas bonus on something useful, and things were pretty tight after my sons were born, but thankfully they've started school now so my Wife can work full time again) but the hours I wasted on the original version are pretty much countless. [>:]
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Thanks for the nice words, and for helping improve AWD over the years. Based on some things others have told me, I wish someone could make a video showing how the game compares to Axis & Allies so A&A players looking for more could see that AWD provides it. It would take someone with knowledge of both A&A and AWD. I've been told there are a number of A&A fan sites around the internet where something like this might help get new people into the game. There is a project underway to create an IPad version of AWD, so we're hopeful that this game isn't done yet. [:)]
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

A friend had WaW, but I convinced him to pick up AWD (and Deluxe Mod) during the Christmas sale. Best PBEM experience I've ever had. The game moves like lightning, yet every choice you make is critical. Depth-wise A&A is a tad too simple.
midgard30

Post by midgard30 »

I totally agree with OP. Of all my PC war games, WaW is the best. A wonderful evolution for an ex player and fan of the A&A board game.
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

For many years I played the heck out of A&A. Developed house rules, hanged out on the A&A forums, and played all the on-line versions you could shake a stick at. I can remember the day I first heard about WAW. I was in an A&A forum and came across a link to an AAR of WAW, then in beta. After reading that AAR, I knew instantly I had found my replacement for A&A.

A&A was fun, but I needed a bit more depth. I wanted a world map close to the scale that A&A Europe and A&A Pacific gave us but in one combined game. I also wanted a build que, and defined turns per year. WAW delivered on all that without losing the boardgame feel. Hence, the fold crease in the map:)
Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
CB60

Post by CB60 »

I'm glad I picked it up. Someone needs to make a decent 'Lets Play' on youtube. Can't hurt anyway.
Bo Rearguard

Post by Bo Rearguard »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

There is a project underway to create an IPad version of AWD, so we're hopeful that this game isn't done yet. [:)]

Excellent news! I've always enjoyed this game. Especially the fact that it can be played in a reasonable amount of time, unlike some of the super complex take-over-your-life wargames. [;)]
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
VI66_slith

Post by VI66_slith »

I played A&A for years as well in all forms. This game fits my pistol for a replacement as well. Many thanks to the fine folks at Matrix and Jesse for all the work and time spent bringing this game to us as well as keeping it fresh. 5 stars [8D]
"Many, who should know better, think that wars can be decided by soulless machines, rather than by the blood and anguish of brave men." ~Patton
Athelas2211

Post by Athelas2211 »

WOW!

I hope the two platforms will be able to connect and share games.

also, is there update for the base game in works?

It has been years since release and since last update....

and the last, please bring it to Steam.

I think many would buy it with proper updating and support,
maybe even modding and scenario creations?

There are quite alot of people playing online AA and from what I read about this game - it beats A&A a big way....

playing RTS, strategy and RPG games from ...ever?

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided”