Senator Inouye RIP

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Blackhorse

Senator Inouye RIP

Post by Blackhorse »

With the recent death of Senator Dan Inouye of Hawaii, there is only one WWII veteran still serving in the United States Senate (Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey).

My wife is the CEO of a non-profit organization that serves Asian Pacific Americans. Here's the brief eulogy they put out, which I think captures the spirit of Senator Inouye, and so many more of the "Greatest Generation."

Statement on the Passing of Senator Daniel K. Inouye

The International Leadership Foundation (ILF) is deeply saddened by the news on the passing of Senator Daniel K. Inouye. The Senator was a great American hero from World War II and a leader to Asian-Americans and Pacific Islanders. He served as the President pro tempore of the United States Senate, third in line to be President. He was both the highest ranking Asian American political leader, and the second longest serving Senator, in U.S. history.

Only 17 years old when Pearl Harbor was attacked, Daniel Inouye remained fiercely patriotic despite the discrimination directed against Japanese-Americans. He enlisted in the army as soon as he was allowed, and fought in Italy, where he lost his arm, and earned a Medal of Honor. In his words, “the Army had given us a taste of full citizenship, and an appetite for more of the same. . . The feeling was infectious. It spread to the old folks, and those were jubilant, heart-warming days for them. . . and if you were young in Hawaii in that pivotal [time], if you were ambitious and believed implicitly in the promise of the Declaration of Independence, what did it matter that you had only one arm? You had given it for America, and America, at last, was yours.”

“Senator Inouye was a true role model and inspiration to the next generation of Asian-Americans and Pacific Islanders,” said ILF Chief Executive Officer Chiling Tong. “He remains in our hearts, forever young.”

For Senator Inouye’s dedication and public service, the ILF was honored to have the opportunity to present him with ILF's Lifetime Achievement Award in 2011. The ILF Board of Directors and Advisors sends its deepest sympathy to the Inouye Family.

###
The International Leadership Foundation (ILF) is a non-profit 501 (C)(3) organization dedicated to promoting the civic awareness, public service and economic effectiveness of the Asian Pacific American community and develops young leaders in the United States and other Pacific Rim countries in the fields of public service, entrepreneurship and the international arena through a network of business and community leaders. For more information, please visit www.ileader.org
WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!
dr.hal

RE: Senator Inouye RIP

Post by dr.hal »

An amazing man that sought very little for himself... we need more like him now than ever. A great loss. Hal
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Inouye was a great man. I disagreed with so many of his political views, but there can be no questioning his dedication, loyalty, courage and personal sacrifice for our country. A truly honorable fellow. Salute.
Symon

Post by Symon »

I'm also deeply saddened by the passing of Daniel Inouye. His being on a different part of the political spectrum from me, makes it even more poignant. Senator Inouye was a man whose honesty, integrity and strength of principle compelled attention and respect for his viewpoint; his take on certain things has given me pause more that once. I will miss his sincerity and his honne. My sympathy goes out, as well, to his family and friends.

JWE
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
SpitfireIX

Post by SpitfireIX »

UNITED STATES - DECEMBER 20: Former Sen. Bob Dole, R-Kan., salutes the casket of the late Sen. Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii, as his body lies in state in the Capitol rotunda, as Dole's wife, former Sen. Elizabeth Dole, R-N.C., looks on. Bob Dole and Inouye knew each other since they were recovering from World War II battle wounds. Dole was assisted to the casket saying "I wouldn't want Danny to see me in a wheelchair." (Photo By Tom Williams/CQ Roll Call)

Copyright © 2012 CQ Roll Call

http://cqrollcall.photoshelter.com/image/I0000vjRanFWvjIg

Attachments
imsf21CxsDCyZ.jpg
imsf21CxsDCyZ.jpg (160.54 KiB) Viewed 144 times
"I know Japanese. He is very bad. And tricky. But we Americans too smart. We catch him and give him hell."

--Benny Sablan, crewman, USS Enterprise 12/7/41
SpitfireIX

Post by SpitfireIX »

I remember seeing an interview with Inouye on The History Channel. He said that when he realized the Japanese were attacking Pearl Harbor, his first thought was, "Those dirty Japs!" [:D]
"I know Japanese. He is very bad. And tricky. But we Americans too smart. We catch him and give him hell."

--Benny Sablan, crewman, USS Enterprise 12/7/41
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

For those interested.

Citation:
Second Lieutenant Daniel K. Inouye distinguished himself by extraordinary heroism in action on 21 April 1945, in the vicinity of San Terenzo, Italy. While attacking a defended ridge guarding an important road junction, Second Lieutenant Inouye skillfully directed his platoon through a hail of automatic weapon and small arms fire, in a swift enveloping movement that resulted in the capture of an artillery and mortar post and brought his men to within 40 yards of the hostile force. Emplaced in bunkers and rock formations, the enemy halted the advance with crossfire from three machine guns. With complete disregard for his personal safety, Second Lieutenant Inouye crawled up the treacherous slope to within five yards of the nearest machine gun and hurled two grenades, destroying the emplacement. Before the enemy could retaliate, he stood up and neutralized a second machine gun nest. Although wounded by a sniper's bullet, he continued to engage other hostile positions at close range until an exploding grenade shattered his right arm. Despite the intense pain, he refused evacuation and continued to direct his platoon until enemy resistance was broken and his men were again deployed in defensive positions. In the attack, 25 enemy soldiers were killed and eight others captured. By his gallant, aggressive tactics and by his indomitable leadership, Second Lieutenant Inouye enabled his platoon to advance through formidable resistance, and was instrumental in the capture of the ridge. Second Lieutenant Inouye's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit on him, his unit, and the United States Army.
Capt. Cliff
sdevault

Post by sdevault »

"I wouldn't want Danny to see me in a wheelchair." (Photo By Tom Williams/CQ Roll Call)

Thanks for the post.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I remember him best from the Watergate hearings. His voice was so authoritative, and nobody messed with him.

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: sdevault
"I wouldn't want Danny to see me in a wheelchair." (Photo By Tom Williams/CQ Roll Call)

Thanks for the post.

Concur with this. Our WWII Vets are falling fast and these two were/are credits to their generation.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”