Overwhelmed: Read the manual like I was doing a paper for college but...

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

heyhellowhatsnew

Overwhelmed: Read the manual like I was doing a paper for college but...

Post by heyhellowhatsnew »

Hello everyone. I read the manual back and forth, upside down and downside up. I studied, made notes.

Keep in mind i'm an idiot.

Anyway, I need your help. What the hell do I do for my first few turns?

In the future, I beg the developers, include a tutorial please. Please please it makes things so much more easier for idiots like me.

But yes, my first few turns, what do I do to not die instantly.

Please help [&o]
OldBlackNerd.com Grognard Gaming, Gaming videos and Current Events
Myrddraal

RE: Overwhelmed: Read the manual like I was doing a paper for college but...

Post by Myrddraal »

Hi,

My first question: are you playing Handicapped AI? If you are, I'm sorry to report that it is bugged, and will actually be harder than balanced. This is fixed in the patch (which is currently in public beta).

Otherwise, there are tactical experts on these forums who can definitely help you out. What sort of thing have you been trying, and how does the AI beat you? So for example: in this game (as in WWI) it's often the best tactic if you're under pressure to sit tight, dig trenches and avoid attacking. If you're attacking every turn against the odds, then you'll get beaten very quickly. Let us know what you've tried and we might be able to give you more focussed advice.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

I always believed that one of the ways to help pc wargamers is to set up a "turn order" summary similiar to board games. What this would entail is an order of thought process with specific rules reference numbers next to each decision point. So at a glance, a player could see how to employ all of the specific components of a turn and their suggested order of execution. The overwhelming aspect is that a player might tend to forget some of the things they should check during a turn as it is not simply a game of move-attack-end turn...
JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

One thing you can do is to play the first couple of turns over and over again. That's what I did!

That said, the game is perhaps the easiest in the genre to get into -- at least, if one has any experience with Panzer General -type of games.
Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn
Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker »

You really think this is like Panzer General? I don't see it!

I loved PG

I love this game (even with the AI whippin my buttocks all over central Europe)

But they seem pretty amazingly different to me!
ParaB

Post by ParaB »

Just play a couple of games for a few turns. You'll quickly learn what works and what doesn't. The rules and features are fairly simple (compared to heavyweights like War in the Pacific or War in the East), although the gameplay gets surprisingly deep once you've become more familiar with it.

Return to “Commander - The Great War”