Editor AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderator: doomtrader

Magpius

Editor AAR

Post by Magpius »

New Scenario from scratch...
2 Islands (Basic Terrain)
Team A
Team B
5 Land Units
2 Fleets each of 3 ships.
4 Sea Zones
50x50 Hex Map
to openable and playable stage.
(issues of game balance not critical yet)

any volunteers?
Please!
I've tried this simple exercise a number of times, and crashed out for a variety of reasons.

Regular screen grabs and comments needed.

Peter123

RE: Editor AAR

Post by Peter123 »

Agent,a few notes to make the scenario:

Map:
Open the Editor, select to create new scenario - accept default location. paint the map. Add a couple of cities (main supply sources). Remember to save the modified data for every city you create. Save and exit the Editor.
Go to the folder where your Editor.exe is installed (here is where the files of your your new scenario are located); copy (cut) them to a folder on your desktop. This folder will be your editable scenario.

Countries and units:
Go to the Overlord scenario folder. It is a two countries scenario that fits with your project. Copy (replace) the countries.csv countries_pbem.csv and relations.csv files to your scenario folder. Edit the two active countries at will(in the Editor or with a spreadshet). Check the countries.csv after edit because the Editor seems to duplicate the last country.

Alternatively, you can create just two countries with the Editor, but setting relations seems not to work, so you must make a relations.csv file for them.

Open the Editor, load your scenario; under "countries" select each active country, mark the "Draw controler" "draw owner" and "draw original owner" boxes and paint the hexes for each country (every land hex must be asigned). Under edit land units create some units (remember to save modified data for every unit) and then deploy them on the map. Save and exit the Editor.

Completion:
Copy the info.ini file from any working scenario to your desktop scenario. Inside the file, change the scenario name with your scenario folder name (twice).

Copy flags.txt and unit_names.csv from any scenario to your scenario folder.

Open the Editor, load your scenario; in scenario properties you can edít some details and create a minimap. Save and exit.

Now copy your desktop scenario folder to your game data scenarios folder. You should have now a working version of your scenario (without naval stuff). Run T.O.F. and load your new scenario.

Look at ConsoleOut.txt file if CTD. Here you can find the cause of the crash (usualy a csv file or a map issue).

Attachments
untitled86.jpg
untitled86.jpg (121.14 KiB) Viewed 434 times
Peter123

Post by Peter123 »

Naval stuff:
Open the Editor and load your desktop scenario. Under edit cities, change the tipe of your two cities to "supply source with port"
Under sea nodes,create the nodes (do not input any node data but the name because it seems not to work) .Ignore any error message.
Go back to the main screen and under sea nodes, select each node and paint on the map the hexes for that node (both sea and land).
Save and exit Editor.
You must manualy edit with a spreadshet sea_nodes.csv sea_edges.csv fleets.csv and naval_units.csv to complete the required data.
Copy the scenario to your game data scenarios folder (I just copy the map, cities and naval files, otherwise, check again the countries.csv because the duplicate country issue). Run T.O.F. and load your scenario.

Attachments
untitled87.jpg
untitled87.jpg (120.57 KiB) Viewed 434 times
Peter123

Post by Peter123 »

This is the very basic playable scenario (No ships).

Attachments
untitled88.jpg
untitled88.jpg (96.31 KiB) Viewed 434 times
Peter123

Post by Peter123 »

I have uploaded the scenario so you can check the files. Hope this help. Happy new year to all in advance.

Attachments
isles.zip
(33.56 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

Thank you Peter.
I'll consider this a xmas present.
Have a happy new year.
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

tried playing this both sides human...
did not get to axis turn 2.
A.I. kicks in and surrenders me.
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

Could you expand a little on the sea_edges and sea_nodes csv files. This is where I have come unstuck in the past. I'm unable to link the nodes successfully.
Peter123

Post by Peter123 »

ORIGINAL: Agent S

tried playing this both sides human...
did not get to axis turn 2.
A.I. kicks in and surrenders me.

Hi Agent, my purpose was to make a playable scenario, not a long one ;)
I guess game ends at turn 2 because both cities have 0 victory points assigned. Just assign 1 VP to cities and it should run longer.
ORIGINAL: Agent S
Could you expand a little on the sea_edges and sea_nodes csv files. This is where I have come unstuck in the past. I'm unable to link the nodes successfully.

In sea nodes.csv you must define your nodes: node ID (1,2,3.... ), the name, the size (number of fleets), and the coordinates to place fleet counters on the map.
In sea edges you define wich moves are allowed: from node 5 to node 1, from node 1 to node 5, from node 6 to node 3 , and so on.

Attachments
untitled89.jpg
untitled89.jpg (194.42 KiB) Viewed 434 times
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

Thanks Peter,
This has been valuable, and given me cause to push on.
I hope others benefit from this also.
Would be great to see others making some playable scenarios.

Return to “After Action Reports”