warspite1 (Entente) Vs Colberki (CP)

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

warspite1

warspite1 (Entente) Vs Colberki (CP)

Post by warspite1 »

Okay, same drill as the other AAR (only with sides switched this time).

Same House Rules – no scrapping fleets unless you have too (i.e. no port) and only one airship per country.

Turn 1 - 23rd July 1914

Serbia

Standard AH opening move to eliminate my border cannon fodder er.. I mean Garrison.

I focus on Barbed Wire in the Research dept and ponder my production…Garrison or Infantry?

I gamble on Infantry and hope my front remains intact long enough for them to make a difference when they arrive…
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

RE: warspite1 (Entente) Vs Colberki (CP)

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 2 - 30th July 1914

Serbia

Mmmmm. Two AH Infantry are now west and northwest of Belgrade. I do not know where the other is headed for. 1st Garrison Army moves to the hex southeast of the Capital. Having considered swapping the 1st Infantry Army and the 2nd Garrison Army, I hold my position instead and adopt the “head in the sand” technique.

Attachments
HeadinSand.jpg
HeadinSand.jpg (9.37 KiB) Viewed 651 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 2 - 30th July 1914 (Cont)

..and with screenshot

Attachments
Turn2Ent..anFront.jpg
Turn2Ent..anFront.jpg (150.78 KiB) Viewed 651 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 3 – 6th August 1914

Serbia

The AH armies have split east and west, with one remaining in the centre. I build a Garrison but otherwise hold tight. My other option would have been to attack the Infantry south of Sarajevo by swapping units…

Belgium

In Belgium the Brussels Infantry is at 7. I build a Garrison and repair the Infantry.

France

Mediterranean

The Fleets head for the Central Mediterranean to link up with the Royal Navy at Malta.

France

Standard moves by my French armies – essentially the Infantry are ordered northwest as quickly as possible!
The French research and Focus on Industrial Warfare.

I build an Infantry and two Garrisons.

Attachments
Turn3Ent..chFront.jpg
Turn3Ent..chFront.jpg (169.57 KiB) Viewed 651 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 4 – 13th August 1914

Serbia

It’s a quiet turn in the Balkans with the only movement being an AH Infantry moving north of Cetinje. I ignore this threat and place my 3rd Infantry Army reinforcement south of Belgrade and my Garrison northwest of Nis.

I build a Garrison and otherwise hold station.

Belgium

Brussels falls and the Germans head south and west…. The armoured car unit stays in Antwerp and awaits developments (i.e. a pounding in due course).

France

With Calais unable to be reinforced, I place a Garrison north of Rouen and one north of Paris. 4 of my 5 Infantry Armies are strung out from the hex north of Verdun to northeast of Paris, while the 5th is further south. Why isn’t the French army motorised?

The French add the Hydropneumatic Howitzer to their focused research. They build a Garrison.

Britain

France

The British do their usual – 1st Infantry Army to the transports, 2nd Infantry to Southampton and the 1st Territorial Garrison to London.

Mediterranean

The Gibraltar and Malta Garrisons take to the transports too. I do not know where they are headed as yet – either Egypt or possibly Serbia.

The British build nothing and research and focus on the Infantry Grenade and the Hydropneumatic Howitzer.

Attachments
Turn4Ent..eFrance.jpg
Turn4Ent..eFrance.jpg (172.17 KiB) Viewed 651 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 5 – 20th August 1914

Serbia

The Austrians cross the Morava with an Infantry and threaten Nis. I attack with 3rd Infantry and 2nd Garrison Armies, reducing the Austrian to a 6-strength.

The Austrians also launch a probing attack southwest of Belgrade but with little damage. I repair my two understrength Garrisons, allowing no build this turn.

I put a new reinforcement, the 7th (Nis) Garrison, into Nis.

Attachments
Turn5Ent..eSerbia.jpg
Turn5Ent..eSerbia.jpg (153.28 KiB) Viewed 651 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 5 - 20th August 1914 (Cont)

Russia

Warsaw falls and there is a big Austrian troop movement north of Lemberg. I fall back on Brest-Litovsk.
I research and Focus on Industrial Warfare and the Hydropneumatic Howitzer.

I build nothing this turn

France

I place a reinforcement Garrison in Rouen.

I occupy Paris with 1st Army and move my remaining 4 Armies west, attacking a German Garrison two hexes northwest of Verdun. This means I have no choice but to withdraw my northern border Garrison to Verdun.

I move the 6th (Rouen) Garrison behind the Seine.

I build two Garrisons and take no further action this turn.

Belgium

I keep my Armoured car rooted firmly in Brussels.

Britain

Britain

I send the 1st Infantry Army to Rouen, the 2nd puts to sea off Southampton, and the 1st Territorial Army boards transports in London.

I build an Artillery.

Mediterranean

I continue to send my Garrisons from Gibraltar and Malta to Egypt

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 6 – 3rd September 1914

Serbia

The Austrians begin their pincer movement in earnest. In the west, an Infantry and Garrison move between Sarajevo and Cetinje. I swap 1st Army and the 1st (Cetinje) Garrison so that 1st Army can attack the infantry. I inflict a 3-point loss on the AH unit, and emboldened by this success, I vacate Belgrade with 2nd Army to attack the weakened enemy Infantry. The result is a 5! The AH Infantry and its general is no more!

3rd Army occupies Belgrade, and 1st Garrison Army moves to the river line southeast of the capital. I use the 6th (Nis) Garrison to try and hold-up the AH Infantry probing south of the River Morava.

I repair what units I can but can build nothing this turn.

Attachments
Turn6CPSerbia.jpg
Turn6CPSerbia.jpg (171.75 KiB) Viewed 651 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 6 – 3rd September 1914 (Cont)

Russia

Nothing happening this turn so I build an Artillery, an Infantry and a Garrison…. And wait.

Belgium

I bring my Armoured Car out of Antwerp to attack the German Artillery. The result was spectacularly disappointing, trading a point each…

France

I have major problems in France, having lost 2nd Infantry Army between Verdun and Paris.

I have limited attacking options – there are no vulnerable German units I can get at. I therefore move my Infantry south of the Seine and hope I can form a line there. I place two Garrisons near Paris and Dijon and 6th Infantry Army is placed south of Verdun.

I repair two weak Garrsion units and that leaves no points to build anything this turn.

Britain

France

I land in Rouen with 1st Army and pound the German Infantry on the coast with the Grand Fleet. 2nd Army arrives at the docks to hopefully unload next turn.

Mediterranean

My Garrisons continue their slow progress to Egypt.

Attachments
Turn6Ent..eFrance.jpg
Turn6Ent..eFrance.jpg (176.18 KiB) Viewed 651 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 7 – 17th September 1914

Serbia

The Austrians have put everything into Serbia this time. There are two Infantry Armies in the northern salient and one in the southern. With no reinforcements on the horizon, and the fact that I am going to be cut-off anyway, I go for broke….

I swap the 1st Garrison Army for 3rd Army. This leaves just a Garrison in Belgrade, but allows me to attack the Austrian Infantry between Belgrade and Nis. 2nd Army and three Garrisons are used to finish the Austrian off. Of course I am now hopelessly out of position, but at least I’ve hurt the Austrian bully.

Attachments
Turn7Ent..eSerbia.jpg
Turn7Ent..eSerbia.jpg (156.59 KiB) Viewed 651 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 7 – 17th September 1914 (Cont)

Russia

Realising that the main Austrian attack is in Serbia I feel I should do something in Russia.

I purchase an Infantry and a Garrison and place my 1st (Vinnytsia) Garrison reinforcement west of the city.

I do nothing else…..

Belgium

My Armoured Car survived! Not for much longer however. In a bid to make him useful, I attack the German Garrison in Calais, reducing it to a 3.

France

Damn, an exposed German Infantry, south of the river is attacked by three Infantry and one Garrison. The German is barely touched but I lose heavily.

I repair a couple of units and build a Garrison.

Britain

Mediterranean

My Malta Garrison reaches Egypt, but the Gibraltar Garrison is still in the middle of the Med.

France

I land 2nd Army south of Rouen.

Following the disappointing results of the French, I attack with 1st Infantry in Rouen against an undug-in Cavalry – this is equally unsuccessful…

I lose my cool and attack the German submarine unit with the Grand Fleet – reducing it to a 3, but also reducing my strength to a 5.

I build an Infantry.

Attachments
Turn7Ent..eFrance.jpg
Turn7Ent..eFrance.jpg (172.21 KiB) Viewed 651 times

ulver

Post by ulver »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Turn 7 – 17th September 1914

Serbia

The Austrians have put everything into Serbia this time. There are two Infantry Armies in the northern salient and one in the southern. With no reinforcements on the horizon, and the fact that I am going to be cut-off anyway, I go for broke….

I swap the 1st Garrison Army for 3rd Army. This leaves just a Garrison in Belgrade, but allows me to attack the Austrian Infantry between Belgrade and Nis. 2nd Army and three Garrisons are used to finish the Austrian off. Of course I am now hopelessly out of position, but at least I’ve hurt the Austrian bully.

You solicited advice in this thread so I hope you don’t mind me giving some. I think that statement shows a lack of appreciation for economy of force. The most valuable thing Serbia can buy you isn’t inflicting casualties on the Austrians – it is time. The Austrians are paying a fortune in maintenance cost just for keeping the army facing you in the field. Just paying upkeep for one turn is likely to cost the Austrians as much or more then their expenses in repairing damaged units during the Serbian campaign. The most damaging drain you can inflict on the Austrian economy is simply keeping his army standing facing you. Win a couple of turns of tying down his army is likely to be far more expensive than any casualties you can inflict.

Going for broke here is likely to be a mistake. I realize that calculus gets a little more complicated if you consider the economic cost of manpower shortage but I’m still fairly certain that a completely defensive approach is better here. Remember that delaying him might also allow you to build a few units and costing him casualties that way.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

No ulver I don't mind at all - that's what these are all about. Given the number of games I have lost I am happy to take advice!

The only thing I would say is that the danger of doing nothing is sometimes you end up surrounded and cut-off anyway!

Thanks for taking the trouble to read and your input. [:)]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 8 – 1st October 1914

Serbia

It’s all over in Serbia. I attack the Austrian infantry that has pushed east from Cattaro with two Infantry and two Garrisons, but cannot get rid of him…. Oh well, they tried.

I buy a Garrison.

Russia

I buy an Infantry and a Garrison.

Britain

My British 1st Army gets destroyed by an artillery and a couple of Infantry. I attack a German Cavalry with my fleet, the 2nd British Army and a French Garrison – but cannot get rid of him… very frustrating turn.

I have to buy an Infantry with the British to replace 1st Army.

France

The Belgian unit has finally bitten the dirt. There is nothing I can do though. The German unit I hit four times in an open position is still there and the best odds I can get – using my own Infantry is 1-3???

I can only repair some units and wait for the inevitable……

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 9 – 15th October 1914

Serbia

Serbia has just four units left. I place a Garrison in Skopje but can do nothing with the remaining three. I buy two Garrisons, but the Serbs are probably going to be wiped out well before Christmas…

Russia

I place an Infantry north of Vinnytsia and a Garrison north of Vilna. I upgrade a number of units, leaving enough cash to build an Infantry. Otherwise there is nothing to do.

France

More bad news. A German Infantry attacks in Alsace and finishes south of Verdun. I launch no less than three Garrisons and two Infantry against him… but he survives, albeit at 2-strength. I need these attacks to work…. I can only repair a couple of units and am unable to build anything.

Britain

I land the 1st Territorial Army south of Rouen and retire the Grand Fleet to Portsmouth for repairs.

I build nothing.

Turn 10 – 29th October 1914

Serbia

The remaining Serbs are being destroyed piecemeal. I place my Garrison replacements in Tirana and southeast of Skopje. Nothing else to do.

Russia

I place an Infantry in Kiev, place an artillery in Vinnytsia and build another Infantry.

France

An attack by 5th and 6th Armies finally gets rid of the German Infantry south of Verdun.

I have nothing to build with as my remaining points are spent trying to get my units up to strength.

Britain

I place 3rd Infantry Army in Southampton and put an Artillery unit on a transport for shipment to France.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 11 – 12th November 1914

Serbia

I suffer 5-points of losses in Skopje and so swap the Garrison for a full strength one. I place my reinforcement Garrison south of the capital.

I build a Garrison and spend repair and upgrade points on a couple of Garrison units.

Russia

I place a newly arrived Infantry – 6th Army - near Vinnytsia.

France

My Paris Garrison is reduced to a 2-strength. I am running out of units with the French now. I have to leave a gap in the lines northwest of Dijon….

Britain

I attack the German Infantry in Rouen using the Grand Fleet, 2nd Army and the 1st Territorial Army. I reduce the German unit to a 7 – but also turn it red.

I rail the 4th (Canadian) Army to Quebec. I land the Gibraltar Garrison in Egypt and place 5th Army east of Cairo. 3rd Army boards ship, heading for France.

Attachments
Turn11En..eFrance.jpg
Turn11En..eFrance.jpg (174.2 KiB) Viewed 651 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 12 – 26th November 1914

Serbia

A quiet turn in Serbia as the Austrians build up for the massive offensive against Skopje. I repair and upgrade what I can. There will be no reinforcements coming next turn.

My Garrison reinforcement for this turn is placed south of Tirana.

Russia

Nothing continues to happen on this front. I place the 7th Infantry Army south of Brest-Litovsk. I build only a Garrison as I try and build up the points to allow me to build a second Artillery.

France

The Germans do little this turn as they appear to be re-positioning their troops. I cannot tell what is happening behind the front line, but I suspect Verdun is now going to be the next target. I have no ability to attack so spend my few build pints on repair and upgrading what I can. I need that French convoy! But it is a long way off….

Britain

4th (Canadian) Army takes to the Transports in Quebec.

Egypt

I place the 5th Infantry in Ismailia and await the Turks to advance – Turkey is in the war this turn.

France

The British land the 1st Artillery Army and 3rd Army is about to unload.

I repair the 2nd Army and the 1st (Territorial) Garrison.

Turn 13 – 10th December 1914

Serbia

The big offensives came against Belgrade and Skopje. Both hung on – Belgrade only just. I repair what I can and, once again, await the inevitable.

Russia

I place an Infantry in Sarikamish and a Garrison in Batumi.

France

The expected attack on Verdun came. The 2nd Garrison was reduced to a 4-strength and so I swap with 3rd Garrison.

Britain

Egypt

The Turks head for the Suez Canal. I attack a lone exposed Infantry with 5th Army and the 1st (Gibraltar) Garrison, assuming he would suffer accordingly…but I lose 5-strength points and incur only 2 on it….

France

I land the 3rd Infantry Army in France and move the 1st Artillery southeast for a better position.

I build a submarine and an Artillery.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 14 – 24th December 1914

Serbia

Belgrade falls…. Skopje is pounded to just a 3-strength. I shuffle units around to try and delay ultimate defeat as long as possible.

Russia

I build an Artillery.

France

The Germans have completely switched focus to the east of the country. Verdun survives, but the unit southeast is destroyed. I counter-attack against the German Infantry southwest of Verdun but only succeed in reducing it to a red 5-strength.

Britain

France

I attack the German Infantry in Rouen using the Grand Fleet, 1st Artillery Army and 2nd and 3rd Infantry Armies. Unfortunately I only reduce the German to a 7.

Egypt

The Turks cautiously advance toward Suez once more. I hold station and re-build strength.

Attachments
Turn14En..eFrance.jpg
Turn14En..eFrance.jpg (191.77 KiB) Viewed 651 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 15 – 7th January 1915

Serbia

One by one the Serbs disappear…. It’s likely to be Skopje’s turn next.

Russia

I build a Garrison.

France

Verdun falls. Things are looking bleak for the French now.

Britain

I bombard a German Infantry in Rouen but to no effect…

I build a fighter and a Cavalry

Turn 16 - 21st January 1915

Serbia

Another Quiet turn as no doubt the Austrians get in position to finish off the remnants of the Serbian army.

Russia

I place a Garrison near Riga

France

The French eastern flank has crumbled. I repair a lone unit and await the onslaught.

Britain

I buy an Infantry. Nothing else to do….

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 17 – 4th February 1915

Serbia

There is an attack on both Skopje and Cetinje this turn. The Cetinje unit is undamaged, but the Skopje Garrison has to swap with the Garrison to the south as strength was depleted down to 6.

Russia

With France about to bite the dust, I decide to attack with the Russians who pile into East Prussia, Galicia and – the main target – Warsaw.

Attachments
Turn17En..eRussia.jpg
Turn17En..eRussia.jpg (177.18 KiB) Viewed 651 times

Return to “After Action Reports”