Trippen the Trappen Two

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Vic

LiquidSky

Trippen the Trappen Two

Post by LiquidSky »

And so it begins, 1.05 Case Blue, scenario Trappenjagd.
I will be playing the part of the kind, benevolent invader,
while Wallas plays the part of the ruthless dictator, who needs to be brought to justice for his many crimes of bad facial hair.

Changes to scenario: None.

Settings: Free Setup, Fleiger Divisions, FOW on stats, Dismissal, PBEM protection

With Free setup, I can move my scattered reserves up to danger points on the front, put a larger airforce in the Crimea, and set my panzers up for a sharp offensive. Only time will tell.

The Russians will probably put less units in the Crimea and more in the salient, although he has been making noises about 'taking Kursk' or pushing from Rostov along the coast. Probably he will cower behind the Volga and beg for mercy.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
LiquidSky

RE: Trippen the Trappen Two

Post by LiquidSky »

General Manstein looked up incredulously. "What do you mean, they are gone? Gone where? How can 200,000 Russians disappear?" He looked at the map again, "Ahhhhhh, it appears they are trying one last offensive to widen the Kharkov salient. It will fail! Order a screen to drive into Kerch and Sevastopol, and send the rest of the army north! I will have to save that fool Paulus!"

Attachments
round1_a.jpg
round1_a.jpg (667.81 KiB) Viewed 270 times
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Reconvet

Post by Reconvet »

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

General Manstein looked up incredulously. "What do you mean, they are gone? Gone where? How can 200,000 Russians disappear?"

Such are the joys and headscratch moments only utterly limitless free setup may deliver to you. Clear case of Captain Kirk abusing all directives dealing with timeline interference and beaming half the soviet forces across the sea of Azov deep into the Ukraine, just to get a glimpse of Mansteins face after realizing what happened. Must have been a helluva snowstorm that axis pickets didn't notice all those russians disappear into the night...

Now all together: Three huzzays for free setup fantasy. [:D]

The biggest threat for mankind is ignorance.

LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Turn 4: May 18th, 1942.

Manstein looked at the reports in front of him. Despite early Russian successes in their offensive, the german army has managed to stop the communist hordes. In some places, it wasn't easy. The timely arrival of 11th army units managed to plug the most dangerous spots. Plus it probably didn't help them that it rained two days after they started their offensive.

And 2nd Army in the north....quite clever of General Weichs to notice how disorganized the Russian 51st army in front of him is. Using the 9th Panzer division to spearhead an attack, he managed to rip a 20km whole in the line, north of Schigry. I am going to have to make it mandatory to recon front line Russian armies to see if they are suffering from out of depth penalties.

Von Kleist's 1st Panzer Army also managed to push the Russians back before Rostov, but it will take the arrival of the 11th army artillery to take the city itself.

Over all, the Russians have lost 63k infantry to the Germans 29.5k. But more importantly, the Luftwaffe has managed to clear the sky of Russians at the lost of 80 fighters to the Russian 265.

A note about free setup:

While I agree that the idea of the entire Crimea being evacuated so fast to be well..fantasy, I think that the best thing any wargame can have is choice. And this choice of my opponent was to save the Russian army as much as possible, and give me 12 easy pp's. At the same time, he also gives me the ability to use my 11th army wherever I need to. On the first four turns of the game, I have purchased the 'train' card, and have doubled my strategic lift capability. In fact, I can now rail an entire corp where I want on the map.

While initially very successful, his offensive has stopped. Most likely he is suffering horrible command and control problems. On my free setup, I barely moved any units, as I wanted to keep their entrenchment level. That made his first attacks expensive (where he didn't use artillery).
The second turn was rain. Very limited attacks. And bloody...losing as much as 2200 men in one of them.
Third turn he did not attack.

So, I am not convinced that clearing the crimea was the best choice, given that I will be able to launch my offensive for Rostov that much sooner.
Attachments
round4_b.jpg
round4_b.jpg (245.45 KiB) Viewed 271 times
Reconvet

Post by Reconvet »

While initially very successful, his offensive has stopped. Most likely he is suffering horrible command and control problems. On my free setup, I barely moved any units, as I wanted to keep their entrenchment level. That made his first attacks expensive (where he didn't use artillery).
The second turn was rain. Very limited attacks. And bloody...losing as much as 2200 men in one of them.
Third turn he did not attack.

So, I am not convinced that clearing the crimea was the best choice, given that I will be able to launch my offensive for Rostov that much sooner.

What I can get out of this map - without detailed view - it seems that he has significantly strenghtened his front lines between Rostow and Voroshilowgrad with a nice portion of his crimean armies. I'd bet his primary goal is to prevent an early loss of Rostow and Millerowo.

As for Kharkow: I don't think he'll seriously pursue capturing it. 2 rain turns out of the first 4 plus command penalties simply are too much to overcome, his window of opportunity has probably closed already. Plus: I don't see how only 1 attack vector on Kharkow can be enough. If he had been willing to really try to capture it then he would/should have attacked north of the city too to force Axis to split up his reserves. His clearing the east river bank of the Donets does not really build up pressure on Kharkow itself, he won't be able to cross this major river from this direction.

The biggest threat for mankind is ignorance.

wallas

Post by wallas »

Turn 4: May 18th, 1942.

Yeah but I figured what the heck lets really stretch the play test. Not to mention I have an issue with losing units without attritioning my opponent due to there horrible supply situation. [;)]
wallas

Post by wallas »

Sorry guys we are going to reload with the latest patch update and use Vanilla, and not free setup. Figured that way are aar follows the rest of the community. It is only turn 5 so both liquid and I figured best pull plug now rather then wait. stay stuned for trippen the trappen three, and maybe I will add some soviet colour.
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

General Manstein awoke with a start. "No more Russians? What a dream! Alas, there must be half the Russian army on this crummy peninsula." Looking at the map, he went over plan 1.05b. XXX corp is to push north with the 22nd Panzer division in the lead. XXXXII will push east and drive the Russians into a narrowing corridor. There is no way they can all escape, as Russian units will run into each other.

Turn 1: May 12, 1942. Weather: Clear.

Manstein plays Freedom on the XXX corp, and XXX corp plays speed on the 22nd Panzer. But to no avail, I am unable to take the northern most hex to trap some of his divisions. But with three hexsides on his western most group (with about 220 stacking points), I attack and retreat them. Since some of them cannot stack, they die for failure to retreat. Casualties at the end of my turn: 3200 men lost to kill 14,300 Russian infantry. Not too shabby.

LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Turn 2: May 14, 1942. Weather: Rain.

Manstein looked up at the sky and grimaced. Not much chance of a breakthrough today with this crappy weather. Not only that, only half the bombers will be able to rebase down to the Crimea to interdict supply flowing to Kerch and Sevastopol. As well, it appears that a lot of the Russians have retreated from the main German front, but with the horrible ground conditions, no point in chasing them.

Ah well..to orders: I want XXXXII corp to relieve the Romanians on the Sevastopol front. The Romanians can transfer the southern front to help in screening Rostov. XXX corp will rest and resupply before pushing onwards for Kerch.

LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Turn 3: May 16, 1942. Weather: Clear.

The map doesn't lie General! The Russians are pulling out of the Kharkov salient. But they seem to be holding on everywhere else! We should attack! Manstein said "No...I have them where I want them, they are not getting stronger in the Crimea. Let their supplies run down some more before we attack. Continue with the movements of XXXXII towards Sevastopol."

Another quiet turn, no real attacks anywhere by both sides.
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Turn 4: May 18, 1942. Weather Clear.

General Manstein! The Russians have retreated towards Kerch, pulling back at least 20 km from our lines! Shall we follow?

"Yes, push the XXX corp forwards, but do not engage. The Luftwaffe promises me to destroy the ports of Kerch and Taman. With the rest of the Luftwaffe interdicting logistics at sea, the Ruskies must be nearing the end of their supply. In a couple of days we will mop them up with ease."

I notice that the 9th Panzer Division took Schigry in the north. And the LAH pushed forwards 10km causing massive Russian casualties.

"But what about those Italians?"

Well....they had outflanked (outflunk? [:)] ) a single regiment dug in on a hill. After a 2 day assault, with some Germans assisting, they managed to lose 1900 Italians, 800 Germans to kill 300 Russians....but at least they took the hill. Unfortunately, Mussolini is not going to like the loss of 15% of his force in Russia.

"Yes, they should have softened up the defenders with an air bombardment, followed by artillery. They should not have gone in cold like that. They didn't even have an attack plan"

Perhaps the survivors will remember that lesson.

LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Turn 5: May 20, 1942. Weather: Clear.

General Fretter-Pico (XXX Korp commander) left the 11th army command trailer feeling pretty good. "Manstein has given me Freedom to push hard for Kerch. The divisions are to proceed on their own heading east. The Russians are scattered and are low on ammo. 22nd Panzer...you are to push east then north to cut off the 320th Rifle division. 50th division..you attack and squeeze the pocket tight. Take it out if you can. 28th Mtn Div...you are to take Marfowka. 132nd Div, follow the coast."

Two days later.....

Manstein: "It appears that the operation was mostly a success. 50th div was unable to force the 320th Rifle div to surrender, but XXX Korp did push 30km forwards to be within 40km of Kerch" Manstein looked at the map in front of him....."It also appears that the LAH and 13th Panzer div won a great victory with a double envelopment of a rifle division in front of Rostov. The entire division surrendered. German losses over the last 2 days: 3000 men to the Russians 18,000 men. And the Luftwaffe reports total air superiority over the entire front."

His Aide: "The only bad note is the loss of most of the black sea shipping. It seems that the Russian Black Sea fleet came across the ships as they were heading for Turkish waters to hide, and scattered the transports while sinking the warships. It is doubtful that the survivors will make it to port."
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Turn 6: May 22, 1942. Weather: Clear.

"I tell you, Sevastopol is ripe for the taking! Desertions have increased, and the prisoners say there is no more food to be had. They are down to eating rats. Kerch is in no better shape, the port and all the other ports in range have been bombed into rubble."

"I want XXXXII and LIV Korp to immediately push for Sevastopol. XXX Korp can continue to push for Kerch."

Looking down at the map, Manstein noticed that the Russians are retreating before the 1st Panzer Army towards Rostov. "They will be needing my divisions and artillery soon for the attack on Rostov"

Two days later....

NEWS FLASH May 23rd, 1942....in a lightning offensive, elements of the 11th army hoisted the German flag in Downtown Sevastopol. Many of the Russians have dropped their weapons and have fled for the coast with the rumor that the Russian fleet will save them. With its capture, the fall of Kerch cannot be far behind. Losses for the germans number around 5000 infantry, while the Russians have lost 40,000 killed or captured.

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (196.68 KiB) Viewed 272 times
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Turn 7: May 24, 1942. Weather: Rain.

General Raus (1st Pz Army) hung up the phone and let out a whoop..."Manstein has cleaned out the Crimea, the first two divisions are railing towards us right now, and all the artillery is in a convoy on its way. With the Russians falling back to Rostov, they will be most welcome indeed! Ring up Richtoffen, and ask him when he will transfer his Luftwaffe up to bombard Rostov?"

The General says that the first planes are on the way, and the rest of the bombers should be here over the next 2 days....

"Das is good! With this god awful rain, we can delay a couple days before pushing adjacent to the city. By the way, Manstein reports taking over 16,000 prisoners, and only losing 200 men. Overall we have lost 15,700 men to the Russians 93,100. The Luftwaffe reports losing 65 divebombers, 30 levelbombers and only 15 fighters. The loss of other materials is insignificant (85 medium tanks, 160 guns). The kriegsmarine has managed to hide some of the transport ships, but has lost all the warships and subs....but I doubt a navy will be of any use in this campaign...."

Attachments
round7_b.jpg
round7_b.jpg (161.51 KiB) Viewed 272 times
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Okay..I left this dormant for too long....the game has been continuing, although we did take a month off from playing.

Currently I just finished turn 37: July 23, 1942. I have 62 Prestige, my army is still in fairly good shape, and I have played Avoid Krasnador.

But how did I get here you ask? No? I'm going to tell you anyways!

My opponent retreated cautiously towards Rostov in the south and held in the bad terrain in the middle. He also pulled back to the Don and Voronezh. I was certain to take Millerowo in time, but thought that I could only take either Voronezh or Rostov.

My plan was to push the SS divisions either into Rostov before he could entrench too far, or pull around the city and immediately cross the river before he could fortify it.

As it turned out, the city was too hard to take immediately, so I played a speed card and caught a Russian Rifle division before it could entrench on the Don. He immediately pushed my SS Div back over the river, but now I had the other one and a panzer division as well to cross with. This time he couldn't push me back.

With the arrival of 11th army (and artillery), and my expanding bridgehead over the Don, he pulled out of the city and held a line south of the city. Unknown to me, I had panicked him, and he had started to rail every a good sized tank army to the Caucuas. So Rostov was the first of the three to fall.

My push for Millerowo went as expected, with the city falling easily. However, the crafty Russians accumulated most of his tank brigades under one army leader, and hit my Italians/Rumanians. I was rather hard put until I railed up a couple divisions from new reinforcemnts. The spirit level for the Italians is about 15-20 points lower then for the other axis minors.

With Rostov/Millerowo fallen, I sent all the artillery and most of the new reinforcing german divisions to the Voronezh front. I had no expectations of being able to take it, as he was fortifying the hexes around the city and had a couple tank corps as well in reserve. In fact, I did manage to cross the river, but he would boot me back over (with big losses to me, 2000 men in one retreat).

So I changed tactics, and when I won a combat over the river, I would not take the hex. If he took the hex, he would not be entrenched, and I would just push him away again, with more losses to him. And I waited...and waited....until RAIN! Then I advanced into the hexes, and played entrenchment cards. It worked to get me over the river, as he couldn't/wouldn't attack me on his rain turn, and on my clear turn after, I was able to start expanding my bridgehead.

My panzer divisions I left somewhat idle, with the leader at 20 command points...then I struck above the city, and pushed over the far river...threatening to isolate Voronezh. He then, miraculously, pulled out of the city, the turn BEFORE I had to take it! He said that he had just fulfilled a hold mission, and didn't want to get it again. But it meant I got the points for the city as well.

So things were looking good....Rostov on Turn 14. Millerowo on turn 24. Voronezh turn 32. Nothing could stop me, right? Well...remember the large Tank army I mentioned in the Caucaus?

LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

On Turn 21, I was blissfully pushing south with a two corps from the 1st Panzer Army, with the Rumanians on the right flank. The Hungarians I was going to sit inbetween the third (powerful) panzer korp and the rest of the 1st Panzer Army.

By Turn 24, there seemed to be more and more Russians...and I got my first glimpse of Russian Armour. On his turn 24, and turn 25, he swatted my panzer division, and german infantry divisions back towards the river. And on Turn 26 I had been forced to play defensive cards, and consolidate my Germans two divisions per hex.

On the left of the Hungarians, I started to push hard with the two SS divisions with two panzer divisions, and by turn 28, the Russians stopped their (so far successful) offensive. I suspect he was going to swing them over to hit the Hungarians.

At this point I was engaged in a heavy fight for Voronezh and was starting to push forward for Stalingrad (having taken Millerowo). All spare divisions were sent to Millerowo, and I pulled the Rumanians out of that front and sent them to the caucaus with the rest of them. A new plan occurred to me.

I would back the axis minors to Rostov and the Don, and guard the River. Lots of Swamps, anchored by Rostov itself. This would free up the entire 1st Panzer Army, and 1 infantry korp from the 11th army to pull over the river to attack towards Stalingrad.

Over the next 9 turns saw the Russians dogging my Hungarians, doing some damage to my retreating units. I did do one counterattack when two Russian tank corps were stacked in the same hex adjacent to both my SS divisions. I brought a third panzer division in, and with the now available Luftwaffe from Voronezh, broke many of the regiments and mauled the rest. After that, the retreat went fairly smoothly with almost all the Axis minors over the river, and the Germans about to be pulled out.

Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (835 KiB) Viewed 272 times
wallas

Post by wallas »

Liquid you should post some of the attrition reports to bring the community up to speed on our game. From the soviet perspective I am sitting at 25 prestige and hold at all costs is not a threat yet. One thing that is really sucking is I have received only four leaders since the beginning of trappenjad and two of them are total rubbish. One major change this game with my Front HQ is I have played nothing but personnel on my army HQ. I have never done anything else and most of my HQ are 70-80% which seems to help alot.
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

I would do it I need *somebody* to do their turn and email it to me, so I can open it and take shots of how many Russians I have sent to their non-existent god. *prod* *prod*
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Two more turns played, one of which was rain and we have this for Turn 39: July 29th, 1942.

I was doing very well for losses keeping them fairly low and under control, until June 27th when he attacked me in the Caucaus.

In 4 turns I lost as much as I did the entire 22 turns before it.

As it is, I have about a 4:1 kill ratio over losses. Which is better then last game when it was 3:1

The rest of the front is spread rather thin, but I do have about 3 panzer divisions on reserve to hit any hot spots.

Oh, and my prestige is down to 52 as I lost the mission Krasnador and some minor city in the Caucaus. I already played the Avoid card, so the Caucaus is officially off the table until I take Stalingrad. Only 8 hexes away from my line.
Attachments
Stalingrad.jpg
Stalingrad.jpg (423.12 KiB) Viewed 272 times
Bismarck2761

Post by Bismarck2761 »

What is value of playing Ambition cards? A short-term benefit has been mentioned, beyond the value if new objective easily swiped.

Return to “After Action Reports”