Casualties

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

spilbuster

Casualties

Post by spilbuster »

hi, was just wondering why when ive finished my turn and it goes through the Russian moves that i incur around 18k casualties a turn to nil on the russian side.

this happens every turn wether there is combat or more frequently atm not, also in any weather.

just wondered if there was a quick answer as its over a division a turn im losing through battle causalties
carlkay58

RE: Casualties

Post by carlkay58 »

Those are attritional losses. The losses occur during your supply phase.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

I always thought the figure was too high,seems quite a lot of motor accidents,trench foot and suicides
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

It's a combination of things. There is front line attrition which represents minor combat and shelling. There is also a lot that goes on in the logistics phase dealing with damaged elements. Damaged elements are not considered permanent losses when first damaged, but they can be repaired or destroyed during the logistics phase, and if destroyed, they are added to the permanent losses. Also, many damaged elements are sent back to the pool, and in this process some number become permanent losses. So a lot of these losses are due to the churn that happens when due to fighting and moving, ground elements are damaged but are not turned into permanent losses until a later logistics phase.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
DaMan

Post by DaMan »

Is it possible to see Axis total casualties statistics per country? Or is it just Axis total?
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: spilbuster

hi, was just wondering why when ive finished my turn and it goes through the Russian moves that i incur around 18k casualties a turn to nil on the russian side.

this happens every turn wether there is combat or more frequently atm not, also in any weather.

just wondered if there was a quick answer as its over a division a turn im losing through battle causalties

These loses can be cut down allot by putting units into static mode.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Pelton's idea for static mode is a good one for those who play for the long game.

But look at total casualties versus turn by turn reports. I see that turn-by-turn doesn't add to total in my AI games. Anyone say why? Or, am I misunderstanding this. Consequently, not paying attention to turn-by-turn data.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Total casualties change as disabled return to the manpower pool (they are not truly permanent). So looking at each turn and adding them up won't match the total. Could this explain what you are seeing?
-- Soren Kierkegaard
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Sure could. Just that the caption says permanent losses which led me to the observation. As may be thought, I don't play the "long game" and the issue is moot.
morvael

Post by morvael »

The problem with casualites screen for me is in the "This Turn" section - they are very "trigger-happy" and reset multiple times during a turn and are useless...
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Yes, the current turn numbers are only supposed to reset after you first view them in your turn. If they are resetting again during your turn after the first viewing, this is a bug and we'd love to get some hard info on what might be causing this.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
morvael

Post by morvael »

I know the first time you are shown casualties from opponent turn and/or from the logistics phase. Unfortunately, they are resetting during the turn as well. Will try to find some examples for that.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Scenario:

1. opened the game (PBEM)
2. opened the L screen

Attachments
capture_00..2_075430.jpg
capture_00..2_075430.jpg (193.94 KiB) Viewed 173 times
morvael

Post by morvael »

3. Closed the L screen
4. Made an attack
5. Opened the L screen

Attachments
capture_00..2_075524.jpg
capture_00..2_075524.jpg (194.64 KiB) Viewed 173 times
morvael

Post by morvael »

6. Closed the L screen
7. Opened the C screen
8. Closed the C screen
9. Opened the L screen

Attachments
capture_00..2_075532.jpg
capture_00..2_075532.jpg (192.13 KiB) Viewed 173 times
morvael

Post by morvael »

10. Closed the L screen
11. Made an attack
12. Opened the L screen

Attachments
capture_00..2_075548.jpg
capture_00..2_075548.jpg (193.49 KiB) Viewed 173 times
morvael

Post by morvael »

First time the numbers from "Recent" colum added to "Current Turn" column and made sense. After the reset caused by opening Commander's Report the numers do not add up anymore.

edit: I know the "Recent" contains also damaged elements (which is partially misleading as it is next to permanent losses data), but the "Current Turn" should show 19 in Soviet Guns (for example), not 14.

edit: I guess if I would made more attacks at the start, before opening the C report for the first time, the gap would be even bigger as the initial battles would be forgot from the first two columns of the statistics.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

The thing is that last turn losses are reset only when you exit the Losses screen by clicking the [x]. If you moved to other screen with the key and closed from there it won't get cleared. So theoretically after step 3 everything should get cleared, if you closed it by clicking x on the top right.

In AI games losses screen is displayed just after logistics, which is not true for PBEM games. So it could happen that PBEM player opens losses screen for the first time after making some attacks, thus adding them to the previous turn data and clearing it out on the close if done with [x].
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
morvael

Post by morvael »

Maybe the screen could be shown automatically for PBEM games as well (and then cleared upon exit)? I do use & prefer keyboard shortcuts though. Much faster.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

I have found that the best way to follow loses is from the OOB and total from one turn to the next.

turn 12 SHC 4,500,000
turn 13 SHC 4,400,000

turn 12 SHC losses 2,350,000
Turn 13 SHC losses 2,550,000

Basicly lost 200,000 but gained back about 100,000 from normal replasements.

Turn 14 you will recieve 110,000 ish in replasements instead of the normal 100,000 because some of the "losses" as stated are disabled.

Looking at a single turns snap shot is really not that helpfull. You need to look at the trend of the OOB's and losses and destoryed units(vs Humans).

As long as the enemys OOB is trending down your doing good.

Manpower is really the only bottleneck in the game for both sides. Armaments are not an issue for anyone anymore unless your doing something very wrong.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”