Jap player seeks devine advice from exp Jap players- PBG fortress problem

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Cavalry Corp

Jap player seeks devine advice from exp Jap players- PBG fortress problem

Post by Cavalry Corp »

OK I thought PBG was not producing supply in RA but it does. I did not rush to take it - my mistake. But any canny allied player will ambush an assualt on PBG early on that is what i feared.

July 42 RA 4.6
stacking map in play, 100k supply fort level 3 and best part of 2 allied divs ( one Indian Div 20th??)plus other stuff. First assualt got lousey 1-2 odds and killed 1000 allied but killed 6000 Japs - time to swap divs but what to do next?

Bombard a lot with guns- seems to do little

I bomb it every day by air getting around 200- 300 casualties but almost all on support troops ( my bombers seem to target the support units much more than the fighting units it seems???) . I assume as I am in the hex disruption and fatigue are not recovering much plus I hope he cannot take any replacements. Is this enough to weaken him for the next assualt?

Clear the mines and bombard - but MSW will get killed by the CD guns??

Any divine advice would be appreciated.

cav
castor troy

RE: Jap player seeks devine advice from exp Jap players- PBG fortress problem

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: cavalry

OK I thought PBG was not producing supply in RA but it does. I did not rush to take it - my mistake. But any canny allied player will ambush an assualt on PBG early on that is what i feared.

July 42 RA 4.6
stacking map in play, 100k supply fort level 3 and best part of 2 allied divs ( one Indian Div 20th??)plus other stuff. First assualt got lousey 1-2 odds and killed 1000 allied but killed 6000 Japs - time to swap divs but what to do next?

Bombard a lot with guns- seems to do little

I bomb it every day by air getting around 200- 300 casualties but almost all on support troops ( my bombers seem to target the support units much more than the fighting units it seems???) . I assume as I am in the hex disruption and fatigue are not recovering much plus I hope he cannot take any replacements. Is this enough to weaken him for the next assualt?

Clear the mines and bombard - but MSW will get killed by the CD guns??

Any divine advice would be appreciated.

cav

air attacks on troops in a jungle hex got literally no effect. Guess the only thing you can do is to completely outnumber the enemy and just break the resistance. Palembang gets a x3 terrain bonus IIRC but if you have something like 6 or 7 divisions plus support and tanks you should wear the enemy down in three or four deliberate attacks, even if you will take more (disabled) squads in total. When the Allied lose in the end, they will all be destroyed if there is no retreat path
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

1-2 ratio is pretty good. Get more Combat Engineers and drop forts.

First thing - stop his fort building. Keep airfield damaged.
Second - keep control of air (LRCAP), and sea. You do not want to find any extra troops there.

You can always bombard it from sea. 3 such visits should do the trick, but problem is, that they will probably also damage oil. I am afraid your main hope is to keep bombing his troops from air (or scraping few extra Divisions, to keep it short). You can also get some heavy artillery there, but this would take lots of time.
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

Thanks for these good replies.

Damaging airfield and port stops for building?

I have full air control and all the rest of DEI, so perhaps I should clear the mines then bombard as well?

Is there really much difference between types of artillery?
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

I knew that damaged port and airfield needs repair before fort building can start. I did not consider it was also the case when it may be in progress - many thanks.
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

Generally for artillery you either want better range (but in this - Allies are always better), or larger caliber.

Japan usually uses lousy 75mm, which does not help you much. Try to find something bigger. Optimally you want to use something like 3588 Botanko Heavy Gun Regiment from Manchuria. It is armed with 24cm howitzers
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

You'll have to reinforce with additional divisions, assault engineers and perhaps army support. It's the only way to clear it. Go in with overwhelming force opposed to small assaults. Better to dedicate more troops now and free them for new operations then to lose use of 3 or 4 divisions for another month or 3..

You need Palembang secured...
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

all engr ability is used to repair damage 1st, expand 2nd.

if you can continually damage the airfield/port, the defending engrs will try to repair the damage, they won't work to increase the forts.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Mucho more engineers.

This question started in a different thread and I am glad Calvary is getting some solid suggestions.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

another factor for your consideration - if you assault/capture the base w/ shock attack, you'll cause damage to the resource/industry in the hex, in addition to whatever mayhem that defeated enemy engr defenders inflict.

so your dilemma is, go in hard all at once (shock) for a quick capture, or attack softly over time (deliberate).
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

It may be too late, but landing at oosthaven and marching to Palembang might have been a better approach.
(Also Para landings at Djambi and other bases around Palembang might spook them a bit.)
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

I did land at Oosthaven ( and I did do a para drop on the base south of PBG) - I have all the rest of the DEI. The allies did not move from the base because it would be foolish to do so.
I am playing Dan Nicholls he knows very well how to play - the best allied I have played so far. Against a good allied you cannot just land where you want he has surface raiders prowling etc. All landings need cover from significant surface units as well as air.

Another problem - I am using the stacking map so you cannot use big stacks and get the supply in the hex it seems ( most of the supply vanished in two turns) - will that improve?

I have Corps and Army HQ close by - when I make the next attack I will let you know how I get on.

cav
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

I had a Palembang gambit that held to late September/early October 42. I believe because of the prep amounts and the pitched battles you'll encounter there's not much you can do not to wreck industry while capturing it. The number one goal at this stage should be to remove the enemy asap.

The good news is Palembang isn't producing while you're in the hex.

The number one thing you can do is use surface bombardment it eats supply. Singapore isn't far away so you should have enough CA's in the area to do three or four nice bombardment TFs have it going daily both day and night phases. Hopefully you have the other bases in the south if not get them to isolate the Palembang garrison.

Unless attacking use the reserve option under operations to protect your better troops from counter battery fire when just using artillery bombardment. It's doubtful but if the enemy should attack they can join the fight.
Check all leaders and understand what the different categories do to help or hurt the cause change them as needed.
Make sure your Southern Command HQ has the best leader on the map and have HQs in range for proper prep bonuses.
Have sea search fanned out so Allied carriers don't surprise your task forces.
Air bombardment night and day if possible to damage, eat supply and erode morale.

Get HQ's out of the hex if they're at Palembang they have range for bonuses.
Recon, recon, recon (including bombardment TFs) to get detection level to the max.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

Thanks for this great advice - so if the allies are also overstacked they will be eating supply fast as well?
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

air attacks on troops in a jungle hex got literally no effect.

Although I am not receiving big kill numbers from the 30 Betty's and 20 Sally's pounding my jungle outpost in Indochina every turn somewhere between 5 - 20 kills maybe a disabled sqaud or two ... one thing I am . noticing is disruption numbers going through the roof .. right now I have 2 divisions at over 70% disruption. If my opponent knew that ... I am thinking he would be anxious to attack with ground units [8D]

Anyway, just a thought that the results go beyond the combat reports ..
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: Crackaces
air attacks on troops in a jungle hex got literally no effect.

Although I am not receiving big kill numbers from the 30 Betty's and 20 Sally's pounding my jungle outpost in Indochina every turn somewhere between 5 - 20 kills maybe a disabled sqaud or two ... one thing I am . noticing is disruption numbers going through the roof .. right now I have 2 divisions at over 70% disruption. If my opponent knew that ... I am thinking he would be anxious to attack with ground units [8D]

Anyway, just a thought that the results go beyond the combat reports ..

Now that is interesting. Thanks for the pointer Crackaces.
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

That is always the case with attacks on ground troops, IMO. The point isn't killing squads; unless it's in clear terrain, the casualties are always light. The piont is causing disruption.

That's why it's a good idea to bomb the other guys' troops a couple days before an attack, if you can
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

That is always the case with attacks on ground troops, IMO. The point isn't killing squads; unless it's in clear terrain, the casualties are always light. The piont is causing disruption.

That's why it's a good idea to bomb the other guys' troops a couple days before an attack, if you can

Well there is always the complaint of the AFB's of 4E's at 8,000 feet cleaning off atolls one unit at a time [;)]

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

+1
Pax
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

Well there is always the complaint of the AFB's of 4E's at 8,000 feet cleaning off atolls one unit at a time [;)]

Well, referring here to 2E bombers in tactical bombing against ground troops.

4E's ... I don't what it is with the hvy bomber designation, but something in the code really changes them. On the flip side, all the evidence from the few times they were used tactically in the war is that they were really effective in that role. Why they weren't more often used is interesting reading ... but I digress.

Been a lot of ideas kicked around to try and balance this, but to little success. Game engine just doesn't allow for much. We don't really want to lower their effectiveness, they WERE effective. I think we want to increase the cost to the allied player to use them, but that is really hard to do. The allies have no economy, so you can't really 'charge' them anything. Anyway, HR's are about all you can do at the moment and it seems most players come to agreement. For me its worse, my opponent (Andy AI) cheerfully disregards all HR's! [:D]
Pax

Return to “The War Room”