6 inch armed Myoko's

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

MineSweeper

6 inch armed Myoko's

Post by MineSweeper »

Wonder how they would fare against similar allied light cruisers...I believed that they did undergo a hull strengthing to except the 8 inch guns....but without the refit would the 15-6 inch armed Myoko's be a ship to be reckoned with?.....one on one with the Boise would be intresting.....

borner

RE: 6 inch armed Myoko's

Post by borner »

Probably a slight edge over a Brooklyn class, but then again she is almost 50% the displacement I think. A Cleveland would probably have a slight edge even giving up a turret. Fire control and protection come into play, and if I remember right, turret armor on the IJN tripple 6" was only 1.5 on the face armor.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: MineSweeper

Wonder how they would fare against similar allied light cruisers...I believed that they did undergo a hull strengthing to except the 8 inch guns....but without the refit would the 15-6 inch armed Myoko's be a ship to be reckoned with?.....one on one with the Boise would be intresting.....

I have no opinion on your query, MineSweeper, just a wish for you to keep your head down and be safe over the next few days.
MineSweeper

Post by MineSweeper »

Thanks for your concern....lost a couple of roof shingles....bout it so far.

borner

Post by borner »

amen to that
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Well, it depends. Once the Brooklyns upgraded to modern fire control and radar (as I assume they all eventually did) I don't think that even a Japanese CA would be a match for it. Unless of course the CA scores with a torpedo. Anyone know what the rate of fire of a Myoko class with six inch guns was? I doubt is would be anything close to the rate of fire of a modern Cleveland class but really do not know.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
spence

Post by spence »

According to Combined Fleet (IIRC) the 5 twin 8 inch turrets decreased the stability and sea keeping of the IJN heavy cruisers. The six inch guns would have increased the stability of the ship lowering the center of gravity and increasing the metacentric height (center of flotation).

As already mentioned the ammo feed and fire control of the guns would have been the determining factor. Nothing I have ever read has indicated that IJN 6" guns were designed as anything special but the idea behind the Brooklyns and Clevelands was to overwhelm an 8" gun heavy cruiser with a massive volume of (accurate) fire.

Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Use to have triple 6.1"/45 guns on the Mogami Class. Those Mogamis could have been good lead for destroyer squadrons though.
bigred

Post by bigred »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: MineSweeper

I have no opinion on your query, MineSweeper, just a wish for you to keep your head down and be safe over the next few days.
I am always amused at these Yankees who live in fear of a cat 1 hurricane. When u get a cat 4 then you will have something to talk about.

edit --apology to minesweeper, i see he is in Nags head.
---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
tm.asp?m=2597400
Hiltibrant

Post by Hiltibrant »

Just wanted to clarify - are you guys talking about the Mogamis? Since the OP asked about the Myoko's being armed with 6" guns... where there ever any plans to arm them with 6" guns? It's been a while since I had a look at LaCroix's and Well's Japanese Cruisers of the Pacific War, but I can't remember reading about that.
borner

Post by borner »

you have not lived until you walk out your front door when the eye of the Hurricane comes over and look at the tree that has fallen on your house! Still, on the gulf coast, we are used to getting ready for hurricanes. This is a once in a lifetime event for the NYC area. As low as some areas are to the water, this is going to be bad. Reports are already coming out that the NYSE is flooded, and if the subway tunnels flood also, what the ___ are they going to do up there?

As for the IJN CA's, I think in the design phase there was a debate between which would be more effective. In practice, the 6.1" probably would have been better suited for the typical actions seen in the Solomans, but in the 30's a cruiser really was not a crusier without 8" guns.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Hiltibrant

Just wanted to clarify - are you guys talking about the Mogamis? Since the OP asked about the Myoko's being armed with 6" guns... where there ever any plans to arm them with 6" guns? It's been a while since I had a look at LaCroix's and Well's Japanese Cruisers of the Pacific War, but I can't remember reading about that.

You are correct. I don't thnk the Myoko class ever had six inch guns. Looks like the triple six inch turrets were not on that class but the later Mogami class.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
mike scholl 1

Post by mike scholl 1 »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

You are correct. I don't thnk the Myoko class ever had six inch guns. Looks like the triple six inch turrets were not on that class but the later Mogami class.

The triple 6.1" armament of the Mogami's was adopted when the Japanese had completed their full allotment of 8" armed cruisers under the naval agreements. Attracted a lot of interest from abroad, and led to the US Brooklyn's and the British "Colony Class".
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

The triple 6.1" armament of the Mogami's was adopted when the Japanese had completed their full allotment of 8" armed cruisers under the naval agreements. Attracted a lot of interest from abroad, and led to the US Brooklyn's and the British "Colony Class".
warspite1

I thought it was the Town-class that was specifically built to counter the Mogami's, not the later Colony-class?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
temagic

Post by temagic »

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

Yeah, a lot of interest from abroad, because US and British military suspected the ships to violate the Washington treaty - which of course they did, big time, bing heavy cruisers masked as light cruisers. When the war came, the japanese removed the light cruiser armament from the ships and replaced them with heavy cruiser armament.
Fighting for the Greater East-Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”