Where have you been hiding this game?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

akvilonn

Post by akvilonn »

The Matrix games team, as publishers, did a very poor job of getting this game out to the public.
Why do I, and many others, space strategy fans, have to find out about this game through pure luck and commends on
third party sites? Where is Steam? Where is GameSpot or any other major game outlets?

Playing GalCiv, Space empires, Stars, Master of Orion, Imperium Galactica, Sins of solar empires, endless space and many others, this game has totally unique, space opera style and scale I have never seen in other games. Nor did I encounter any information of this awesome game before. And omg it is in real time plus, greatly mod-able and has complete automation if needed!

Yes it takes some time to learn and get used to, but hey, the game beats anything else I have seen. It should be making tons of money and outrun competition, and developer be working on the improved and new sequel.

Instead, it is as stale water, Matrix people just hoping on random traffic with zero advertising effort.
Some rant, I know, but COME ON. If I had a product like this, I would make sure it reaches the rest of us who never knew of this awesome game.
Shark7

RE: Where have you been hiding this game?

Post by Shark7 »

This discussion has been debated before. [;)]

I do agree more advertising would be good. Need to get it out to the reviewers like Gamespot etc. However, I do not agree that Steam is a good idea. It would either cut into the developers profits or cost the end user more...plus I just loathe services like Steam and Origin...way too intrusive for my tastes.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
RaffleSnaffle

Post by RaffleSnaffle »

Amen.

Found this game out from a random youtube video I watched awhile ago. (Forgot how I even got there..)

This is the best game for this genre I have ever played and DESERVES a lot more attention than it gets. great community, great devs, great game.

RaffleSnaffle

Post by RaffleSnaffle »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

I do agree more advertising would be good. Need to get it out to the reviewers like Gamespot etc. However, I do not agree that Steam is a good idea. It would either cut into the developers profits or cost the end user more...plus I just loathe services like Steam and Origin...way too intrusive for my tastes.

Hmm why do you feel that way? It's disappointing you don't own the hard copies of games when bought on steam, but I love steam. And so many people use it. This game would be a good greenlight candidate.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: RaffleSnaffle

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Hmm why do you feel that way? It's disappointing you don't own the hard copies of games when bought on steam, but I love steam. And so many people use it. This game would be a good greenlight candidate.

Because I really don't like any program on my computer that snoops through my files for someone else. It is a violation of my privacy...plus programs like that are always a back door to be subverted for nefarious purposes (IE some hacker could take it over as a back door through your firewall). I just do not like it, and that won't be changing. I trust no one. [;)]
Distant Worlds Fan

akvilonn

Post by akvilonn »

Before it turns into eternal Steam vs No steam or hard copy vs soft copy flame,
my point is simple - market for Space 4X games has run dry for years now with one disappointment after another for such genre (legends of pegasus for example)
Distant worlds brought a showcase how it must be done. Flaws here and there, maybe making it more appealing through better work from art department,
and with no real competition I don't see why it should not be a classic blockbuster.
Matrix - do your homework, you don't put a lighthouse in a desert where no ship can sail!
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: akvilonn

my point is simple - market for Space 4X games has run dry for years now with one disappointment after another for such genre.
Distant worlds brought a showcase how it must be done. Flaws here and there, maybe making it more appealing through better work from art department,
and with no real competition I don't see why it should not be a classic blockbuster.
Matrix - do your homework, you don't put a lighthouse in a desert where no ship can sail!

Like I said, I agree it needs more advertising. In any form. And I don't care where else they sell it, so long as I can still buy it here and request a physical copy (yep, had to reinstall from my CD a couple months ago when my old PC got fried by lightning).
Distant Worlds Fan

Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

ORIGINAL: akvilonn

my point is simple - market for Space 4X games has run dry for years now with one disappointment after another for such genre (legends of pegasus for example)

Welcome!

When the original came out, I think most folks on here posted around the 'net about the game, same thing when the two expansions came out (do you have either/both of those?).

Also, you do know there is yet another expansion in the works right now don't you?
This will be yet another chance for the word to be spread.

It would be nice to have better exposure, but it is what it is.

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 »

distant worlds: shadows as a stanalone expansion for 30 bucks on steam would sell really well, imo
bryanhbell

Post by bryanhbell »

I found out about Distant Worlds when another player suggested it on reddit. I've done my best to give this game further exposure there by creating a subreddit for the game:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DistantWorlds
Bryan H. Bell
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

I plonk the name Distant Worlds in most best 4X discussions. It often gets ignored and sometimes gets some odd replies, I once saw someone wrote in reply to me "Distant Worlds felt gooey", how do I even reply to that? lol
I usually think my messages get ignored because people consider me to be a crank who likes a fringe title because they haven't heard of it before. I hope though that it does lead some people in this direction.
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

I think the cost of advertising might be too high. But advertising on google ads might be worth it considering the target audience. I remember years ago discovering travian (browser game) just from ads on other game and programming forum sites. And like Piratebay.com and torrent sites are advertising space browser games as well. Seems a good target to me.
Algoritm

Post by Algoritm »

I remember thinking the exact same thing when I found this game, and a good thing I found it too.
We seek researchers that find, but find researchers that seek.
adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 »

*puts on hipster glasses* i heard about this game before it released.

but then again i tend to follow the space game scene really closely
wozza

Post by wozza »

I really get annoyed when people come on here and demand to have Steam. The main reason i purchased the game was because i didn't like Steam and DW didn't have any restrictive DRM. When you come on here please stop asking for Steam you know it isn't available and it wont be coming anytime soon.

As others have pointed out Steam charge a hefty premium which would cut into the development of the game.

As for advertizing i do my best tell people on other forums about Matrix and the game. Word of mouth is the best form of advertizing you can get. This is Maxtrix business model and it works well for them and they are happy with it.

Also take in mind that Steam may not even approve the game. Many games do get rejected by Steam.
bryanhbell

Post by bryanhbell »

ORIGINAL: wozza
The main reason i purchased the game was because i didn't like Steam

That's a strange reason to buy a game. :)

I think asking why a game isn't available on Steam is a natural question to ask. Like it or not, Steam is the dominant distribution method these days for PC games. And it isn't by accident that the platform is so popular. It contains many features that PC gamers love and executes most of them quite well. The gaming community hated Steam when it first launched, but Valve gradually won the community over by addressing many of their issues and adding features that significantly enhanced gameplay. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. Does it enforce a DRM scheme? Yep. But many, many gamers feel the benefits of Steam far outweigh its shortcomings.
Bryan H. Bell
wozza

Post by wozza »

ORIGINAL: bryanhbell
The main reason i purchased the game was because i didn't like Steam

That's a strange reason to buy a game. :)

I think asking why a game isn't available on Steam is a natural question to ask. Like it or not, Steam is the dominant distribution method these days for PC games. And it isn't by accident that the platform is so popular. It contains many features that PC gamers love and executes most of them quite well. The gaming community hated Steam when it first launched, but Valve gradually won the community over by addressing many of their issues and adding features that significantly enhanced gameplay. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. Does it enforce a DRM scheme? Yep. But many, many gamers feel the benefits of Steam far outweigh its shortcomings.
Its not really strange. Steam is a third party app which i don't want on my machine. It also contains DRM. One of the reasons why Matrix is very successful is because they don't have Steam and no DRM
and they have very good customer service and very little piracy or none at all.

Yes Steam has a monopoly which is why EA try to take them over though i must admit i am glad Valve told EA to get lost.
bryanhbell

Post by bryanhbell »

Its not really strange. Steam is a third party app which i don't want on my machine. It also contains DRM. One of the reasons why Matrix is very successful is because they don't have Steam and no DRM
and they have very good customer service and very little piracy or none at all.

Yes Steam has a monopoly which is why EA try to take them over though i must admit i am glad Valve told EA to get lost.

Well, I meant it seems strange to me to buy a game just because it isn't on Steam or is DRM free. I usually buy games because they look like they might be fun to play.

I doubt Matrix Games' success is primarily attributable to avoiding Steam or DRM. Publishing good games and offering good support might be more central to any success they enjoy.

While Steam might enjoy a powerful position as the dominant distribution platform for PC games, it is far from a monopoly. There are still many other viable distribution methods for games that compete successfully for the gaming dollar, from Origin and GOG to retail and consoles.
Bryan H. Bell
wozza

Post by wozza »

My philosophy is this. If the game is on steam or if it contains any DRM which requires activation i will not buy it i don't care how good the game is.
Red_Dwarf

Post by Red_Dwarf »

I found DW like this: Downloaded SotS II, ran into same problem I had with SOTS I - disorientation and headaches when empire grew over a certain size. Too much micromanagement.
Found ES. Even on Easy I was constantly scrambling and fighting to keep up. Ragequit.
Google search for 4x mentioned DW in a blurb. I had bought some Matrixgames years ago, so I looked into it. I bought vanilla DW, liked it so I went all-out.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”