AAR Pictures

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Bullwinkle58

AAR Pictures

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Question for experienced AAR writers.

Whats' the best way to get multiple screenshots inserted and in the right place in the text? The insertion point doesn't show in the editing window. I've been inserting my one screenshot, uploading the thing, then finishing the text in edit mode. This is cumbersome, and also makes people who read immediatley miss the rest of the post I'm still working on.

Do you write in a word processor and cut the text in? I've shown many times I need a spell checker, but I've always typed native. Do you cut&paste in, and then stick the screen shots in using Edit mode so you can see where they're anchored?
The Moose
aztez

RE: AAR Pictures

Post by aztez »

You could download program called snagit. It gives 30 days full trial.. easy to use and you can make as pretty pictures as you want.

http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.html

The windows 7 has built in easy to use snipping tool as well which you can use for easy screenshots.

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Question for experienced AAR writers.

Whats' the best way to get multiple screenshots inserted and in the right place in the text? The insertion point doesn't show in the editing window. I've been inserting my one screenshot, uploading the thing, then finishing the text in edit mode. This is cumbersome, and also makes people who read immediatley miss the rest of the post I'm still working on.

Do you write in a word processor and cut the text in? I've shown many times I need a spell checker, but I've always typed native. Do you cut&paste in, and then stick the screen shots in using Edit mode so you can see where they're anchored?
As far as I know, only 1 pic upload per post is allowed and it always comes at the end. If you then Edit the post, you see the link to the pic and can move the link to elsewhere in the post.

If you Link to pics that are elsewhere (meaning other web sites, like the various photo web sites), then you could put those links in anywhere in the post.

I presume that matrix wants a limit of one pic upload per post so they don't have to become a massive storage company just for this forum. Other web sites do that as their business model, even for free. I've seen some AARs here and there where people seem to be doing just that (link to multiple pics from another web site).
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

Simply use an external uploader, there are a lot of free ones.

Then post the url of the image in [ image]url[/image ] tags (minus the spaces obviousely).
Also enables you to use as many images per post as you like.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Then post the url of the image in [ image]url[/image ] tags (minus the spaces obviousely).
This is what I was trying to say about "Link to pics that are elsewhere". What he said! [:D]
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

Yeah, sorry witpqs, noticed too late that my post was a bit repetetive. [:D]
CyrusSpitama

Post by CyrusSpitama »

http://tinypic.com/ is a hosting site I have used for many years. Also, consider snagging a simple photo editor for cropping photos so that you can jam multiple images in your pics. Irfanview is one I have also used for years. http://www.irfanview.com/

P.S. Irfanview and the host site I listed are just one of many options. I use Irfanview because it has almost 0 zero impact on my system. Very lightweight with a number of functions, including picture file formatting. I am just about to start a new post where I use an Irfanview modded pic. Stand by, it will be posted quite shortly.
"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." - Arthur C. Clarke
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Yeah, sorry witpqs, noticed too late that my post was a bit repetetive. [:D]
Oh no, I meant that yours was actually written clearly! Mine was a little, uh, muddy. [8D]
CyrusSpitama

Post by CyrusSpitama »

Just a sample and I used tinypic to host to show it works just fine. You need to play with the sizing till you get it right. Haven't tried using it yet on these forums so... here goes...

tinypic uses the default BB coding of IMG and /IMG. I just had to change it to image and /image.
"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." - Arthur C. Clarke
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: aztez

You could download program called snagit. It gives 30 days full trial.. easy to use and you can make as pretty pictures as you want.

The windows 7 has built in easy to use snipping tool as well which you can use for easy screenshots.

Thanks, but I use Paint. I can do the screenshots; my problem is doing more than one in a post.
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

So IOW people aren't posting multiple pix in Matrix's edit enviro, but are doing external links? That sounds like more trouble than I want to go through for an AAR. Especialy since subsequent posts in the thread are free and can take one pic per. [:)]

Thanks for the answers. I just couldn't figure out what I was missing after al these years.
The Moose
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: aztez

Thanks, but I use Paint. I can do the screenshots; my problem is doing more than one in a post.

Me too. You can resize the images to fit the increasingly sparse requirements of Matrix and save as .jpg, but this is-as you indicated-a one image per post proposition.

You *can* post a montage of .jpgs as one image by copying multiple images into one master image too. Some players will photo capture some scenes from the combat replay and map images together.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Me too. You can resize the images to fit the increasingly sparse requirements of Matrix and save as .jpg, but this is-as you indicated-a one image per post proposition.

Have the changed the maximums downward? I missed it if they did. I have had to crop more than one lately to get under the limit, whatever it is.
The Moose
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Yes. I believe the limit now is 500kb. Once upon a time, it used to be 2MB IIRC.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Yes. I believe the limit now is 500kb. Once upon a time, it used to be 2MB IIRC.

Huh. I thought I remembered something like 650k. Two meg must have been before my time.
The Moose
obvert

Post by obvert »

Huh. I thought I remembered something like 650k. Two meg must have been before my time.

It's anything below 1MB now.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

AFAIK it's 1 MB for the AAR sub-forum. 500 KB for the others, except Tech Support, which has a limit large enough to allow save games (I don't know the exact limit). Just today I uploaded a >700KB image in my AAR and it worked fine.

larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Thank you very much for the link to TinyPic.com, I'll add it to my list of bookmarked file upload sites. I'm always on the outlook for a free
direct link to my uploaded file. So I can use the link here in this forum mostly. Well, okay.......that's all I really use it for.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (60.67 KiB) Viewed 95 times
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

When I need to make multiple screen shots go into one post, I generally crop them in PSP 8 and copy them into an even bigger new image. Probably not the easiest way, but works for me. [;)]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

So IOW people aren't posting multiple pix in Matrix's edit enviro, but are doing external links? That sounds like more trouble than I want to go through for an AAR.

Hmm, actually I find posting with external links a lot more comfortable than the Matrix upload, but that may be so because I do not use a single braincell
when doing ctrl+c/v/x/a/z... stuff, as without that - in my job - I would be dead by now. [;)]

Anyways, good luck on your war. Much more important than questions on posting preferences.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”