WEGO mod please?

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

Destraex

WEGO mod please?

Post by Destraex »

Loved the first one and just purchased this one.
But it there any chance of modding this game so that is could be WEGO?

It just really irks me to play a game that really does not have any of the chance meeting engagements
or real situations that come from two armies moving simulteously.
Keunert

RE: WEGO mod please?

Post by Keunert »

you sir, have crazy ideas
would be great though, and even very great for multiplayer
stonestriker

Post by stonestriker »

I am quite sure it would require a complete rewrite of the engine to do this, which puts it squarely outside the reach of modders.

But it would be an interesting idea for DC3 :)
DC3 Bug Spotters Gold Logie award
Destraex

Post by Destraex »

Yes I thought so :(
This game is so damned good. But you go I go just spoils the immersion a little for me.
I imagine two gentlemen standing at either end of a table arguing about whos turn it is.
Where I should be imagining two guys in a command tent getting reports about how two armoured units have collided because their orders brought them into contact.
stonestriker

Post by stonestriker »

I think a WEGO could open up some interesting possibilities as well.

I was thinking how DC1 would play with a 'special' WEGO system to represent the dullness of the French command system:

Turn 0:
German player plans his moves for turn 1
French player plans his moves for turn 2

Turn 1:
German units moves according to plans from turn 0. German player plans for turn 2
French units remains immobile due to awaiting orders from command. French players plans for turn 3

Turn 2:
All units move at the same time, with German units following plans made during turn 1 and French units moving according to plans made during turn 0.

Etc.

I think this would create a interesting depiction of how the Germans would get inside the OODA loop.

LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Seems to me that most battles (and all battles of note) were set-piece battles, with a defenders either entrenched along a line, or some fixed position. You hardly have roving armies roaming about hoping to bump into another army. Where I think the UgoIgo system fails is when your increment of time is too long. (For example, in WiTE, it is a week). Here it is 2 days, so the reaction time of the defender is about right.

To give an obtuse example..imagine if the turns are hourly. Then obviously, the defender would enjoy a huge advantage, as he would get a reaction time of only 1 hour to an attack. If the turns are say..a week. Well...the reaction time is a week long. The defender would not be able to react until a week goes by.

It is because of this 'reaction time' that a UgoIgo system works.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
RCHarmon

Post by RCHarmon »

I concur with LiquidSky. His observations are spot on. Maybe in the future with advanced AIs a true Wego system could be used. In the meantime these types of games are using Igougo. One thing I like about this game is the turn span. It gives a good trade off for initiative and reaction. It doesn't leave the defender too flat footed and leaves the attacker with the all important initiative.

I think corp level games and above can easily use a wego system, but when the units are divisional and under I think we are stuck with the Igougo.
stonestriker

Post by stonestriker »

I do not think that a WEGO system would necessarily lead to the situation LiquidSky describes. If planned attacks are carried out before movement it would still lead to set-piece battles. WEGO could enable spoiling attacks and meeting engagements in a way that IGOUGO cannot

I agree however that it depends alot on the turn length and DC is working fine with IGOUGO as it is.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :)
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”