Here is the Ultimate Ship & Race Guide

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

jpinard

Here is the Ultimate Ship & Race Guide

Post by jpinard »

<<edit>> v2 is up! Added a bunch of new features and data. including Troop Strength. <<edit>>

The Wiki, Galactopedia, and Manual all have errors based on the latest buiild of the game... For a new player it's nearly impossible to tell what ship belongs to who. Trying to figure out exact numbers for races is difficult. So I decided to make a guide for everyone to remedy these issues. It is a fully Hyperlinked Excel Database with all the ships and stats for easy comparison, sorting, and viewing. It even contains the Ship, race, and name ID's for modders, plus the original ships if you wanted to see why you have that "Original Distant Worlds" customization option.

The Distant Worlds Ultimate Ship & Race Guide v2 is pretty huge at 30 Meg and requires Excel 2007 or later.

------------------------

Note - if you don't have Excel grab this reader from Microsoft

----------

----------

jpinard

RE: Here is the Ultimate Ship & Race Guide

Post by jpinard »

There are tabs for every race and every shipset:

joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

Ketarov [8D]
Joe
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

ORIGINAL: joeyeti

Ketarov [8D]

hehe, I knew there'd be something! Fixed in latest version. Let me know if you see any other issues. All the numbers should be right as a triple checked them.
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

I do not have time to check all the numbers, however I believe there are many more statistics per race in the *.txt race files than in the main table? Or are you not planning to include EVERYTHING?

The ship picture reference is a nice idea, however this would better be suited to be available on the wiki (will add it to Wanted pages there) so that the Excel file is not THAT big...
Joe
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

Everything except the character card specials. That would have added a lot more cells off the right. But maybe I could change what's on the horizontal and vertical and add them later.

Problem with the Wiki for Distant Worlds is nothing is sortable. That was a problem when I was learning and trying to line up who was least aggressive and least intelligent. Here, you can sort by all those fields just by clicking the down arrow in the Excel document. No knowledge of Excel functions needed and a person can have this right on their Desktop.
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

Ah, now I get it, this is a combination of the Race entries from Galactopedia (corrected as per the individual in-game text files).

I thought you were doing the same as me, which is basically extracting the info from the race txt files into a huuuuge table [:D]
So I can continue with that [;)]
Joe
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

I think so. The data is all from the individual race txt files as I found the Galactopedia and the Manual too out of date. :) and I wanted pictures - hehehe
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

Good. I found a very nice and easy way of extracting all the numbers from the individual race.txt files (with some combination of a text replacement utility and excel hacking), so that I do not have to fill in my table by hand and instead have all the numbers in a raw table to play with them further...

Saved me a looot of time :)

In the end this huge table (ALL of the fields from the race.txt files will eventually be there, which is around 110 values per race) will be split to smaller tables with values grouped by subject, e.g. Race statistics, Resource bonuses, Periodic attributes, Character values, Research attributes etc.
Joe
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

Awesome!!
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

New update. Color coding, added Troop Strength, and character card %'s, and a help index. This is the final update for this database. See first post for link.

Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

Just a two small questions before I download this monster,

Did you convert the images from .PNG to .JPG? If not that would account for the file size and I wont bother.

Does it use scripts? The viewer wont let scripts run, just asking because of the index. I have a fossil version of Excel, 95 [:D] Have to use the viewer for everything!!

Thanks

Darkspire
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

The images are not in any format. It's all contained within Excel as native image support. It does not use Scripts but does have some formatting from Excel 2007 so the Viewer should work perfectly. Despite the fact it's a large file size it runs really quick.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: jpinard

The images are not in any format. It's all contained within Excel as native image support. It does not use Scripts but does have some formatting from Excel 2007 so the Viewer should work perfectly. Despite the fact it's a large file size it runs really quick.

Thanks for the reply, and just so you know, they are still in .PNG format, that accounts for the file size. All the GFX files come to just over 30mb, but its an archive (like a ZIP, RAR etc) so the file size drops when its wrapped, most folks who use excel tend to make sheets up and send by email, so if you use something like Irfanview to batch convert the files to a JPG then insert them into a table, you can save yourself time as the file size drops by about 95%+ and it will get uploaded and sent in a snip.

This is very usefull though, thanks for all the work that has gone into it, I will have to see if I can afford to get a shiny new version of excel, it does seem to have changed a bit from my version [:D] I used to have all the race files open at the same time in Textpad so i could work on bits, dont have to bother now [:)]

Darkspire

Here's the .PNG files

Return to “The War Room”