Thousand-Mile War Scenario... AI?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Jace11

Thousand-Mile War Scenario... AI?

Post by Jace11 »

I'm pretty new to WITP:AE.

I've played the smaller scenarios against the AI: Coral Sea, Guadalcanal and Thousand-Mile War. Having won Thousand-Mile War as Japan, I got to see the enemy dispositions at the end. I was shocked / disappointed to see he had BBs, CAs, a CVE and many other useful vessels in Dutch Harbour that he never sortied with.

I have since played it from the Americans and also watched a CPU v CPU game and noticed no sub patrols or sorties other than the odd supply convoy and the scripted landings by the US on the two japanese held Aleutian Islands.

Is AI broken for this? If so, how to fix or improve its use of assets. The Japanese get two CVs around 3 weeks into the scenario, they should maybe leave port at least once...? Also the non-existant sub patrols vex me...
Jace11

RE: Thousand-Mile War Scenario... AI?

Post by Jace11 »

Right,

I have attempted to fix / improve the AI for the stock SCENARIO of THE THOUSAND MILE WAR, (SCEN 005). Limited though my experience is, I read the editor pdf and had a go. I have tested this in AI vs AI and it seems all scripts are working. The only script I couldn't get to work was sub-minelaying. Not sure why this was not working - so it isn't present in this version.

This replaces files for stock scen005, so if you want to keep that for PBEM purposes please backup original or even renumber the files in the attached zip from ****005 to a free slot you have.

If you try it, let me know thoughts.

Edit... New Version Dated 12/09/12

Changes:
--------------------------------------------------------
As I understand it Thousand-Mile War is essentially a "what if" scenario.
The passive AI wasn't really in keeping with the mission briefing and probably the author's intention of seeing what would happen if the US invasions to retake the Aleutian Islands were more aggressively contested. So by altering the AI, this is now a full scale conflict using the original OOB's but with the AI altered to use them.

To represent the small scale of the scenario and the limited goals, the VP values of the two islands have been increased. It really didn't make sense to even try to take them if you played as the Allies as you were rewarded with so few VPs that any losses incurred would cause you to lose on points heavily. Now you should be able to take one island, lose some ships and still get a draw.

SPOILERS FOLLOW - don't read if you don't want to know what to expect.

ALTERATIONS

No changes to OOB of either side, though the Betty and Emily airgroups are delayed a bit.

Increased map area, for people who play in 1600x1200 or higher and to stop problems with AI TFs exiting the small original map area and getting stuck off-map (retreating from air etc). This shouldn't happen now.

Starting sub patrols, several for each side.

Scripted sub patrols, several for each side. Will be replaced by idle subs etc if the boat on patrol aborts.

Dedicated DD ASW patrols around Dutch Harbour early game, these end when invasion forces form-up and are replaced with smaller ASW.

After arrival of USN BBs, bombardment of Attu and Kiska very likely.

Japanese will attempt to reinforce 1 occupied island with 96. Ind Infantry.

Japanese will sortie with limited surface forces after US bombardment missions on its two occupied islands.

CVE Nassau will sortie but is limited offensively due to her air groups.

Allies will utilize airfields on Attu and Kiska if they capture them. This includes moving aviation support units and air groups.

The order of the allied objectives can vary now, capture Attu then Kiska, or Kiska first then Attu. Should add some variety to gameplay if you pick IJN.

IJN Carriers will sortie toward the end of the scenario... BIG YIKES!!

Lots of bug fixes.

Ships starting scenario overstocked with ammo - fixed
Zuiho starting with some damaged AA mounts - fixed
Loads more, but can't remember them now... sorry.

Attachments
Thousand-Mile War.zip
(760.08 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”