How many turns in a scenario?

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

htuna

How many turns in a scenario?

Post by htuna »

I don't know why I'm missing it, but is there a way to find how many turns are left in a scenario? Sometimes I'm wondering if I should do a mad rush with heavy losses for fear that I might be running out of time. Is there some way of showing how many turns remain?
junk2drive

RE: How many turns in a scenario?

Post by junk2drive »

There are no turn limits in PC. The battle ends when one side reaches a percent of points. It depends on a few things and is better explained in the manual.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
htuna

Post by htuna »

OK.. didn't realize that.. so if you're doing pretty good percentage wise.. a Rush for an objective, where you could lose some units may not be a good idea (in fact one scenario ended that way for me...

Thanks for the clarification J2D.. I was trying to hover the mouse over the different controls and searching 'turns' couldn't find in the manual..
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Watch the needles on the side of the lower panel, under the cross and star.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: cmurphy625

OK.. didn't realize that.. so if you're doing pretty good percentage wise.. a Rush for an objective, where you could lose some units may not be a good idea (in fact one scenario ended that way for me...

Thanks for the clarification J2D.. I was trying to hover the mouse over the different controls and searching 'turns' couldn't find in the manual..

PCO allows scenario designers to determine how victory is assessed. If you left-click over the objective, you should see the point value assigned to that objective. If you assess that you can obtain the objective without losing an equivalent number of unit points, then a rush MIGHT be in order, but as junk2drive says, there isn't a fixed turn length for most scenarios, so even if you obtain the objective and only lose half as many points, you might be risking the ability to defend against a counter attack. The issue becomes even more questionable if you are playing a campaign, and the units in question are part of your core force.

Also, some scenarios do start awarding points to the defender at some predetermined turn, and the defender will continue earning those points each turn after that. Sometimes the scenario designer will hint of this in the scenario description.

As junk2drive says, watching the victory "thermometers" on either side of the HUD is the best way to judge how close you are to victory.

Thanks
Rick
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

In PCO, rushing the flag is normally a decidedly bad idea. Taking your time and keeping your casualties low is a better tactic. Losses play a very important part in determining who wins.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”