Has Matrix thought of a new downloading system?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

SapperAstro_MatrixForum

Has Matrix thought of a new downloading system?

Post by SapperAstro_MatrixForum »

In particular, one similar to Good Old Games (google it if you don't know what I am referring to)?

The reason I ask is partly my own fault. At the moment, I am in the process of getting help from one of the fellows at Matrix due to my inability to find my copy of a wargame I had burnt to disk...I put them 'somewhere safe' a few years ago, my firstborn arrives, my hard drive dies...where did I put those games??!? [:@]

Anyway, I suddenly thought to myself 'Why doesn't Matrix set up a similar system to Good old Games? Have a nice page that updates whenever you purchase a game, and from that page you can re-download the game whenever you stuff up and lose it, no problems!'

Is there any big reason that would stop Matrix from doing a system like this? It would be a lot easier for everyone involved I would think, customer and Matrix alike. Less worries about losing a game, less need to sort this issue out everytime it arises for Matrix. I have my serial keys written in front of me, but without those bloody files, no gaming for me...
junk2drive

RE: Has Matrix thought of a new downloading system?

Post by junk2drive »

I see this request a lot for a client like Steam and GOG. I wonder what it costs to have a system with all the games stored on it and the bandwidth to allow people to download any time, as many times as they want.

I'm old fashioned and like to have an installer that I can save to CD and HDD backup. I also don't do like some people and install/uninstall/reinstall games a bunch of times. I have a 500g HDD that I will never fill up.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Josh

Post by Josh »

I think Matrix aleady has this sort of, as long as you have registered a game and have the serial code you can always re-download it. Never done it though as I like to have physical discs around me... except for the games I bought via Steam ofcourse.
SapperAstro_MatrixForum

Post by SapperAstro_MatrixForum »

No, no, GOG is nothing like Steam. I don't use steam at all due to the fact that I never really 'own' the game.

GOG has the same as Matrix, except that you can always download the install file. The full install file, the same as you get from matrix. No online check, no DRM, no client. But you can still download it again whenever you need it. Oh, and you don't need a key at all, just straight download, and you can also save the install file and use it whenever you like too...again, no key...not that I am asking matrix to do this as well. Absolutely nothing like steam.

As for Matrix having the same system...no it doesn't. I bought Conquest of the Aegean, Battles in Italy, Birth of America, etc and I cannot download them now. I have all my keys written down, but nowhere to download them. Someone at Matrix is attempting to help me with this, but so far, no luck. Hence why I have suggested the GOG system as a possible replacement.

Return to “General Discussion”