Do Speed/Freedom cards slow you down later?

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

Grotius

Do Speed/Freedom cards slow you down later?

Post by Grotius »

I know that a Speed card adds APs to units in the turn they are played. But does the recipient have to "pay back" the extra time in the following turn? I ask because I played a Speed card on a panzer division in Turn 1, giving it 136 APs or so -- great. But on Turn 2, the same division started the turn with only 76 APs or so, unless I'm mistaken. I can live with it if this in fact is a "cost" of playing Speed (or Freedom of Action), but I want to be sure I understand the mechanics correctly. Thanks!
Blind Sniper

RE: Do Speed/Freedom cards slow you down later?

Post by Blind Sniper »

Uhm...interesting, I have to check.

Anyhow it is possible to see unit under the same division with different AP left
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

What makes you lose AP's? Low supply and/or low fuel?
Keunert

Post by Keunert »

There is no payback to speed cards and the like.

Low AP's most likely are a result of combat. If your ennemy shelled/bombed/attacked your troops they will lose readiness and AP.
this is another effect of airstrikes and bombardment: you reduce the mobility and effectiveness of the target, even if the target
does not sustain casualties.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Ahh, that's probably what it is, then. I didn't realize that my troops lose AP if they're attacked. (I knew they might lose Readiness.) I assume the same is true in reverse -- if I attack an enemy unit, it loses APs as well.

Good to know. Thanks!
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

I think units also don't necessarily receive a full 100 AP each turn. Rather they seem to receive a random amount (usually around 70) which is added to whatever APs are left from the previous turn--- capped I believe at 100. But that's just from observing the game, so I may be wrong.
Keunert

Post by Keunert »

no, if they rest without getting attacked they should get 100AP
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Ahh, that's probably what it is, then. I didn't realize that my troops lose AP if they're attacked. (I knew they might lose Readiness.) I assume the same is true in reverse -- if I attack an enemy unit, it loses APs as well.

Good to know. Thanks!

Don't forget the AI gets some bonuses - might affect the impact of your attacks on AP?
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

True, redmarkus. I'm playing on Normal, which means the AI gets extra Movement allowances, right? Effectively that gives the AI more AP.
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

ORIGINAL: map66

I think units also don't necessarily receive a full 100 AP each turn. Rather they seem to receive a random amount (usually around 70) which is added to whatever APs are left from the previous turn--- capped I believe at 100. But that's just from observing the game, so I may be wrong.

I have had units rest an entire turn and not get attacked and they start out with less than 100 AP's the turn after resting. I'm not sure why though.
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

It could be due to supply: units can theoretically outrun their supply when using a Speed card. You can move a HQ up again, but in the end supplies still have to flow to the actual unit. In my 1st Panzer Army game, it was common for my units to have about 70 AP's after the first few turns.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

It could be due to supply: units can theoretically outrun their supply when using a Speed card. You can move a HQ up again, but in the end supplies still have to flow to the actual unit. In my 1st Panzer Army game, it was common for my units to have about 70 AP's after the first few turns.

That's about what I had, 65-70 AP. It was in the small Vorhonez scenario and I did use speed cards.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Hmm, I wonder if it was supply. I did have some fast panzer units outrun their supply lines on turn 2, and that might have included the ones I gave the "Speed" order to.

Running short on supply means you get fewer APs? I didn't realize that.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”