Inexplicable Mouse Slow Down

Fans of the old Panzer General series rejoice for the release of Panzer Corps. Following in the footsteps of the popular SSI masterpiece and sharing with the General series the same level of engagement and strategic depth, Panzer Corps will keep an unmistakable "PG feeling" whilst improving and refining the gameplay and balance. Panzer Corps will feature 26 scenarios on 21 unique maps, covering most major battles of the European Theatre of World War II and including a few hypothetical 'what if' scenarios based on your actions. Now expanded with a full-war mega-campaign and the Afrika Corps and Allied Corps releases!

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

michael1776

Inexplicable Mouse Slow Down

Post by michael1776 »

This might be better suited to the tech forum, but does anyone else get severe, and crippling, mouse slow down issues with this game? I far exceed the minimal requirements for this game, but even still under Windows 7, my mouse jumps all over the screen when playing. And it's even worse when navigating the menus. I don't have this with any other program. Any thoughts. For me, it's destroying what is a great game.

MJ
Current Games:
Gary Grigsby's War Between the States
Panzer Corps
Battle Academy
Forge of Freedom
Scott Parrino

RE: Inexplicable Mouse Slow Down

Post by Scott Parrino »

Usually with Windows 7 there's a lot of stuff going on in the background that can cause this. Are you on a laptop or desktop? Are you able to see in the task manager how much of the resources the game is using?
Scott Parrino
Public Relations Manager
Slitherine/Matrix Games
Follow us on Twitter and on Facebook!
michael1776

Post by michael1776 »

Scott,
Thanks for getting back to me. I play the game on a desktop. My system specs are as follows:

AMD A6 Quad Core processor.
Integrated Radeon Graphics card.
8 Gig system memory
1 Terrabyte Main Disk
Windows 7

The game uses about 368,000 K of system memory when running, and less than 1% of my CPU. I only run the most necessary applications when Windows starts up. I monitor this with a small program called Autoruns, by Microsoft. As far as I can see the game really doesn't use much in the way of system resources. This is the only game that gives me any difficulty. I can't figure it out and it's really annoying.

Thanks,
MJ
Current Games:
Panzer Corps
Battle Academy
Forge of Freedom
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Please, could someone move this topic to the technical support section?
Thanks.

Hi Michael.
Please, could you do a little test?
Just rename Panzer Corps subfolders "Audio" and "Video" to "_Audio" and "_Video". Run the game and check if you're still experiencing a jumpy mouse.
michael1776

Post by michael1776 »

Paulus,
After playing several turns, I am going to say that your little test seems to have worked. However, it leaves me with no in-game sounds. Can I direct the game to look for the renamed folders?

MJ

Current Games:
Panzer Corps
Battle Academy
Forge of Freedom
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

It's the usual. You've your Windows MCI broken. Usually it's caused by a codec pack, like K-lite. It's the most common issue in Panzer Corps.
You see Panzer Corps uses for playing videos and audio an API called Windows MCI. These codec packs when installed, usually mess with the system.
You haven't notice in any other games or applications because usually they use DirectSound for playing sound.
There are a few approaches to try to solve your issue. But it might not be easy.
If you've k-lite installed, you can try to uninstall it and install this older version that seems not to mess the MCI and the filters.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5zww3v
You can also replace your wave files with mp3 versions. Maybe the problem are just with wav files. Or vice versa.
But in that case just rename the "Music" subfolder in "Audio" (after renaming back audio again)folder to "_Music". Music is in mp3, this could be also be causing it. If the problem persists then it's with wav files.

Here are some threads:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26461
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26917
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26383
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29892

Proceed always with a certain caution. Some of this approaches require a little more tech knowledge.
If you have any doubt just ask. Although I'll only be able to answer tomorrow.
michael1776

Post by michael1776 »

Well, just for giggles I started to fool around with the hardware itself last night. I haven't yet changed any files. I took the Microsoft mini receiver for my mouse, which I had plugged into one of the USB ports in the back of my PC, and plugged it into the USB port on the front of the machine. This places it more in the open, and as a result the mouse has a more direct line to the receiver itself. This seems to have really cleared up the problem. I can detect no lag what-so-ever. The funny thing is, if the mouse was experiencing interference, from say my desk, or my PC tower, it wasn't showing it anywhere else.

I am cautiously optimistic.

MJ

Current Games:
Panzer Corps
Battle Academy
Forge of Freedom
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Well that would be great, if that was really the cause. I know the advantages of the wireless devices, but I usually run away from them. That is, when I have an option to use a wired connection.
Anyway I'll keep watching this thread. [:)]

Return to “Panzer Corps”