Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No-A-game plz

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Disgruntled Veteran

Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No-A-game plz

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

Hello,

This is my first AAR and only my second mp game. I started a mp game months ago and was quickly stalled as I was too new and didn't appreciate the finer points of the German War Machine. Now, after watching for many months and practicing (and reading Pelton), I have braved another and will document it as best I can.

In regards to a far reaching strategy, I don't really have one. I have a few basic ideas of what I want to do but I will consider myself an attacker of opportunity. My battle plan will be open and my tactics fluid. I will either establish my throne in Moscow or eat a bullet in 45. Let us begin:

Im still troubleshooting my picture posting....so standby for T2.

Edit: Ok so my first picture is rough...forgive me. These are T2 before German moves after Recon. This is the advance for AGN.

Attachments
T2.jpg
T2.jpg (275.83 KiB) Viewed 465 times
Disgruntled Veteran

RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No-A-game plz

T2 Center

So here is the Center advance. I lucked out with a lot of routes and a very good bombing run. I bagged 3050 planes before advancing and got 500 level bombers. I specifically aimed for the "juicier" airfields further back.

Attachments
T2Center.jpg
T2Center.jpg (233.52 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Disgruntled Veteran

T2 South

Here is where I really held my breath. My advance was ok, but I was almost counting on him to break the hold where my arrow shows. Ive never played Russia past T1 so I have no idea what they are capable of. Perhaps he was thinking of saving more units as I did hope to gobble up more if he tried to break the siege. I'll post kills and such on further turns...for now I felt happy to have a good start and figure out my AAR posts. Advice and feedback appreciated.

Attachments
T2South.jpg
T2South.jpg (236.13 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Disgruntled Veteran

Back again to report T3 after my moves.

German High Command is coming to the reality that the Red Army is not going to be destroyed on the border and that the campaign is going to last into late Summer. OKH has called upon OKW to release more reinforcements to continue the pursuit. The Soviets have dug in behind Pskov, the Dnepr, and have projected forward in the South.

- In the North the bulk of 4. Panzer Gruppe has crossed the river guarding Pskov and is preparing for an attack to swing round and destroy the bulk of Leningrad's defenders.

Attachments
T3North.jpg
T3North.jpg (204.74 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Disgruntled Veteran

In the Center we are liquidating pocketed units with great success. The Soviets did delay the 4th and 9th armies for a turn but they are now freed up and on their way. 3. Panzer Gruppe crossed the Dauagvala(sp?) and 2. Panzer Gruppe has encircled a lone armor division and crossed the Berezina. Both Panzer Gruppes are demanding infantry forces to assist in crossing the Dnepr.

Attachments
T3Center.jpg
T3Center.jpg (239.53 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Disgruntled Veteran

In the South we chose encircling armies before huge land grabs. The fresh Panzer forces of AGS (reinforced by SS Division Reich) have lunged in a single pincer encirclement. We count appx 4-5 armor and perhaps half dozen more infantry units trapped. The Lwow pocket is almost finished and the drive to Kiev will commence now that the bulk of his armor is about to be toast.

Attachments
T3South.jpg
T3South.jpg (248.98 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Disgruntled Veteran

Casualties German: about 55k
Casualties Russian: about 865k

All German TOE's will remain at 100 till armaments get low.
gingerbread

Post by gingerbread »

Your rail repair in AGC looks just a liiitle bit too good - did you really repair hex 59,51?
Disgruntled Veteran

ORIGINAL: gingerbread

Your rail repair in AGC looks just a liiitle bit too good - did you really repair hex 59,51?

Not sure which one that is but I did load both AGC's rail guys on the same track. I maximized potential using them both. One is going towards Minsk the other towards Vitebsk.
gingerbread

Post by gingerbread »

It's the hex SW of Vilnius. But then you could be OK, I did not consider a double up on that track.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

AGN is looking good so far.

AGC is ok, send every single new infantry division to this area. You need them to grind to Moscow. AGC is basicly dead in water for 5 turns. Why most GHC players send 2 divisons to AGN and 3 to AGS first turn.

AGS really needs 3 more pz divisions, but your doing good because SHC is fighting forward. Nice job on pockets.
Your RH is south I really dont care for going to hurt u late in summer.

Also set I Corp in AGN with Model as Corp commander and add a 4th 90 morale infantry unit
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Disgruntled Veteran

Ok..so I skipped a couple turns, but didn't do a whole lot anyway. So far I have to say that the war is going superb and have had no major set backs. My few holds have been in areas of low importance. My main tactic so far has been to keep my strength concentrated and form smaller tight encirclements bagging 3-12 divisions per pocket/per turn. T4 was a bit slow....but T5 so numerous pockets formed.

T6..Before German moves or Recon. Two pockets formed. A total of 4 Rifle and 2 Tank divisions. Im very glad these held b/c he is putting a lot of strength in the North. Im skeptical of actually going for Leningrad. You may laugh, but Ive never taken Leningrad vs the AI (although I have only played on challenging 90 vs 110). However, I am pocketing a lot more units vs a human so I may load 18. Armee to the gills with sappers and stug's and go for it. My other plan was to seal it off as quickly as possible and release 4. panzer gruppe for Moscow. Thoughts?

Attachments
T6North.jpg
T6North.jpg (206.34 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Disgruntled Veteran

T6 lets not forget the Finns.

Here we bagged a lone infantry division. He broke the loose pocket this turn but the pocket will be sealed shut this turn. Also got a security unit in Vyborg. Every bit helps right?

Attachments
T6Finns.jpg
T6Finns.jpg (206.26 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Disgruntled Veteran

T6 Center

Here I had great success. I was a bit worried tbh. Last turn I had the 2/3 PZ Groups bunched together in the middle in front of Vitebsk with no real way to go. One small Corps of 3pz formed a bridghead NW of Vitebsk earlier but that terrain sucks and they mad no headway. Luckily (for me) my opponent left a huge opening between the Dnepr and Smolensk allowing nearly the entire 2. Panzer through. All together we formed 2 pockets and cleared the upper bend of the Dnepr. We also cut off 2 rifle division on the West end but they broke the hold. Lets see if we can trap the rest this time.

Total haul:
6 Rifle, 2 Motor divs, and 2 Tanks.

Attachments
T6Center.jpg
T6Center.jpg (218.88 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Disgruntled Veteran

t6 South

Here we saw 1.pz with plenty of mps and CV with a fair output. 11. Armee bagged a Tank Division while all 3Corps of 1.pz worked in unison to bag 2 Tank, 2mot, 2 Rifle, and a sec brigade. The Lwow pocket is still ongoing but all remaining German troops are heading East. The Slovakians and Hungarians can finish the rest. With much of his strength gone I expect to be across the Dnepr on T7. 1.Pz is still plenty strong and his Southern Front has been in a retreat..reeling from blows. So far all is good.

Attachments
T6South.jpg
T6South.jpg (190.82 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Disgruntled Veteran

Kills

10 to 1 in all aspects.

Attachments
Kills.jpg
Kills.jpg (108.2 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Disgruntled Veteran

Production.

Ill probably take my time and look at my TOE's carefully this turn. Here's my production.

BTW- Can someone tell me why Germany has 85% by its name?

Attachments
Production.jpg
Production.jpg (116.01 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Walloc

Post by Walloc »

ORIGINAL: Disgruntled Veteran

BTW- Can someone tell me why Germany has 85% by its name?

When u look at the production(not the pools) u see the entire production of x country. In this case germany. Since not all of the german production went to the east front there are a modifier that changes yearly, to account for that. So in the case of 1941 u get 85% of the production going to ur pools.

For Czech/Polish manpower only. There are after the 85% are a further modifier where only 8% of what is tranfered from those pools are recieved in the german manpower pool.

Hope it helps,

Rasmus
Disgruntled Veteran

Alright so Disgruntled Veteran is back to update his AAR. I took a few turns off because its not really feasible for me to update with every turn but I should have an AAR to the end. My heart sank when I received T8 back form my opponent (along with his partially glib comment:- ))

Losses to date:
Axis:200k
Russians 1.65

Armaments: 58k

1 HQBU to date (Not that it did me a lot of good) See Below:

Ok so all my pics are T9. Before German moves but after Recon. Here's the Finns:

He's committing 8 Rifle divisions to holding me in the North. Im honestly fine with this as thats a whole Sov army that I don't have the smash. Personally I think thats a bad call for the Soviets but to each his own.

Attachments
T9Finns.jpg
T9Finns.jpg (161.96 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Disgruntled Veteran

Here's the North.

On T7 he had a solid line on the Luga. I smashed the hell out of it and got all of LVI Panzer Corps across but fell 1 hex shy of trapping them all. Nearly all escaped. Besides that I did manage to clear away his units and have had tremendous success in direct battle. I've never taken Leningrad before, but I feel Im going to give it all this game.

Attachments
T9North.jpg
T9North.jpg (191.03 KiB) Viewed 461 times

Return to “After Action Reports”