OT: Endless Space

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

onomastikon

OT: Endless Space

Post by onomastikon »

I might as well as here, I value your opinion of spacefaring 4X highly. What do you think of Endless Space? Is its AI any good?
scotten_usa

RE: OT: Endless Space

Post by scotten_usa »

Here's a good thread on it, though it's long. You can probably skip to the later pages:

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk ... hp?t=68990

It looks very cool, but the tactical battles are cinematic with no involvement from the player. I think Galactic Civilizations 2 was like this, which is part of the reason why I never bought it.
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

I'm also wondering about this title.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Jaimoe_MatrixForum

Post by Jaimoe_MatrixForum »

I tried it out after reading about it here......seemed like a cool game at first but I tired of it quickly. Lacks depth. I know it's only a beta but when I read about what they will be adding for the final game it sounds like a "shallow" game is what they are aiming for. I've been spoiled by Distant Worlds!
WiZz

Post by WiZz »

I had bought it. Not bad. On high levels AI forces to think. And it has a huge advantage, which DW hasn't - multiplayer.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Bought it, but regret it. It's just too shallow for my tastes. I'm also not a fan of the gimmicky battles. Each side plays a "battle card" during the 3 phases of battle, with different cards providing different bonuses and some cards trumping others in sort of a rock-paper-scissors deal. That aspect does not appeal to me at all, and just feels gimmicky and tacked on.
shinobu

Post by shinobu »

Played the beta and purchased the final product- it's OK. Very handsome game, nice graphics, as far as they go, but I'm already tired of it (and I don't tire easily). The battles are basically watching video clips- might as well auto-resolve. More than that though, the game just feels the same every time. No building space stations, no weapons platforms, no trade ships- just seems a bit bland. Well, to each his own.

Actually, I've been checking this out:
Legends of Pegasus
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Pretty much agree with shinobu. Great looking game wih lots of potential. Can get repetitive in larger games where you slugfest or steamroll enemy empires. It has lot of promise and I'll definetly play it and keep an eye on its developement.
Playing ES actually made me come back to Distant Worlds. Still so very fun to play and it's still my no.1 4X to take on a lonely island. Well, SMAC is nice too, but I prefer space as enviroment.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
WiZz

Post by WiZz »

Guys, please don't forget about one thing. ES is a first try in 4x genre for small indie studio. DW without expansion was not so brilliant,than with them. I hope, that Amplitude can develop ES to high level.
dlcooper

Post by dlcooper »

Don't write of ES so quick. It just came out and don't have any expansions yet. I've read that if you try out DW without the expansions you'll probably never to back to it.
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

The game with expansion(s) VS. The game without its expansion(s) has been thrown out a lot in ES forums too, and I have to agree. The current ES has all kinds of small issues, but I can look through most of them 'cause I have faith in the dev team.
Time will tell how ES does against other well known 4Xs.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

ORIGINAL: shinobu
Actually, I've been checking this out:
Legends of Pegasus

Hmm, that looks interesting. Some quotes that sound promising to me:

"Sophisticated economic strategies and trade are the foundation of this empire’s strength and prosperity!"

"A realistic, immersive universe – three races and 12 playable factions exist in a living-breathing universe populated by a huge variety of non-player civilizations"
dlcooper

Post by dlcooper »

Legends of Pegasus definitely looks interesting. Keeping an eye on it. It's coming out in August and they say there's going to be more gameplay videos coming out before it's released.

I was reading about the tech trees as well. They say each race will have it's own tech tree and you'll also be able to choose smaller bonus tech trees as well.

Sounds interesting.
shinobu

Post by shinobu »

Just want to make clear I was not trying to throw ES under the bus. There is a lot to like, just not as much as DW, for me a least...

The more 4X games out there, the better!
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Space 4X seems to be in fashion these days. And here I thought my favourite genre was doomed to go the way of the flight sim. [;)]
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: dlcooper

Legends of Pegasus definitely looks interesting. Keeping an eye on it. It's coming out in August and they say there's going to be more gameplay videos coming out before it's released.

It does, but I'm wary that the release has been put back from the originally announced date on Steam; that rather screams 'unfinished' to me. Add to that the 'full' price for a game from a developer I've never heard of and publisher with a very mixed quality output and I'm waiting for either stellar reviews, or a heavily discounted price.
radic202

Post by radic202 »

What the heck does 4X stand for anyways? I guess Xploration, Xpand, Xploit? These are just random guesses but I think I am headed in the right direction? Any one know for sure?
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: radic202

What the heck does 4X stand for anyways? I guess Xploration, Xpand, Xploit? These are just random guesses but I think I am headed in the right direction? Any one know for sure?

Nearly. The missing one is eXterminate.
shinobu

Post by shinobu »

Also keeping an eye on this:

Predestination
radic202

Post by radic202 »

ORIGINAL: Hertston
ORIGINAL: radic202

Nearly. The missing one is eXterminate.

Great I guess some of it was luck by happenstance? Thanks for clearing that up for me.
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

Return to “General Discussion”