Steam?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

kaihonsou

Steam?

Post by kaihonsou »

The game has great potential and could have much better funding and support if it was on Steam, and also priced more competitively.

Out of all the Moo3 successors, this is it. So much could be improved and it would become the perfect game for alot of people. Throw it on steam and get the game out there!

Im sure this has been suggested before. I literally only found out about this game a few days ago, and im not clued up to the history of the development of it. Seriously though devs, your onto a winner here ;)

Honsou.
Velihopea

RE: Steam?

Post by Velihopea »

Could not agree more. I've suggested similar earlier.

By the way.. Successor to MoO2 as i would like to think MoO3 does not exist.
WiZz

Post by WiZz »

No STEAM. I suppose, never. A several topic with similar names already had been created with zero result. In one topic devs said, that release on steam isn't planning in near future.
Avarice0107

Post by Avarice0107 »

I remember reading that thread and I believe the reasoning is that the percentage that steam (Valve) was to take was a bit much so it remains as a matrix only distribution.

Edit: It would appear I've never posted on these boards before, hmm... never noticed.
Apathy is Death
Life leads to Death
Life leads to Apathy
kaihonsou

Post by kaihonsou »

Thats a shame. I hope they keep supporting this title fully!

I will come back and check Distant Worlds in a few months or so and see how its getting on. Hopefully we can have our Moo2+ ;)

Honsou.

Kordanor

Post by Kordanor »

Also check this thread: tm.asp?m=3113522
Not that there is much info, but at least a big speculation and arguments. ;)
Bebop Cola

Post by Bebop Cola »

ORIGINAL: kaihonsou
Thats a shame. I hope they keep supporting this title fully!

I will come back and check Distant Worlds in a few months or so and see how its getting on. Hopefully we can have our Moo2+ ;)

Honsou.
What precisely are you waiting for? The price to go down? Some feature set to be added?
Kordanor

Post by Kordanor »

Probably he is waiting for the same as I am. ^^
Price too high + Separate Download Location instead of Steam.

But maybe we get lucky with the next add on.
VilleYrjola

Post by VilleYrjola »

If the download location is giving you a headache why don't you just order it as a physical product? Waiting for the price to drop just wastes your time as the sales are rare and the titles are few when it comes to Matrix games lowering their prices.
Kordanor

Post by Kordanor »

While that would be an option, it would make it even more expensive. But I can wait and haven't lost hope. ;)
Besides that, there are so many 4X Space games coming out the next months as never before.
Bebop Cola

Post by Bebop Cola »

While everyone is right to make their own financial decisions regarding what to buy, lauding a game and hoping it continues to receive support from the developer side while refusing to support(purchase) it from the customer side isn't exactly meeting the developer on equal terms, especially with a relatively small title like this one. Developers gotta eat, and if no one buys the product development either stops or grinds down to huge delays as they devote more time to jobs that actually pay the bills.

If you think the game is too expensive for the quality you receive, that's fair. If a sale brings it to the right price point and you purchase it then, that's cool. You're certainly under no obligation to buy the game any which way. However, if you want to ensure that development continues, the best way to do that is to throw in and support the game.
Admiral Moe Lester

Post by Admiral Moe Lester »

Whether through Steam or not, I'd like to see some more publicity for the game and a more accessible price. I have been playing space related 4X games for a while now and I only just recently heard of Distant Worlds. Right now I'm holding off for a sale to come by and I can imagine probably more people are as well. The game has a great vision but $80 is a lot to risk on such a niche title.

However I did try to support the game by telling some of my friends that are into 4X's about it and they thought it sounded great! Then I told them how much it costs for the game and the expansions. They immediately pirated it. As unfortunate as that is, at least it shows that there are some potential fans out there that just haven't heard of the game yet!
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

If steam means more people buy the game, and that means more updates (especially in regards to difficulty) then I say its a good idea.

Certainly the high price of entry is the biggest reason I've had difficulty convincing others to give this game a shot.
kaihonsou

Post by kaihonsou »

E24.99, put it on steam, profit and win.

This game is a gem but literally no-one has heard of it, which means failure by publishers to get this game out in the open. I have the same situation as Admiral Moe, I explained this game to a few people and as soon as you mention the price they are not so sure.

Everyone posting here so far wants to support this title, I hope the people who are very anti-steam recognize that.
Beag

Post by Beag »

ORIGINAL: Gelatinous Cube

If steam means more people buy the game, and that means more updates (especially in regards to difficulty) then I say its a good idea.

Certainly the high price of entry is the biggest reason I've had difficulty convincing others to give this game a shot.

Agree 100%. Being on Steam means publicity and more people knowing about the game. Which means more sales and bigger incentive for the devs to improve the game ASAP. It´s a virtuous circle. And honestly I never had a problem with Steam.
rogerbacon51

Post by rogerbacon51 »

ORIGINAL: Beag

ORIGINAL: Gelatinous Cube

Agree 100%. Being on Steam means publicity and more people knowing about the game. Which means more sales and bigger incentive for the devs to improve the game ASAP. It´s a virtuous circle. And honestly I never had a problem with Steam.

I've only become awaer of Steam recently (when I bought Naval War: Arctic Circle) but I've known about Matrix Games for many years. So I wouldn't automatically assume that Steam means mroe awareness -- unless they advirtize for it like they do for some games when you finish playing whatever game you are playing.
Bebop Cola

Post by Bebop Cola »

In my opinion, Steam is like a billboard at your workplace. Since you're always looking at it when you walk in the door, anything put up there is potentially very visible. Moreover, it's visible to all of your co-workers who are also walking in the door. It's not as visible for those who don't work there, however.

In other words, Steam has the potential to increase awareness for the title and publisher amongst Steam users, but not really for people who aren't Steam users. Steam also has a high noise ratio. They have a lot of titles that compete for that billboard space. People might find the game or publisher with a search, but if they don't search the billboard value of Steam goes down a bit. Moreover, if Steam requires some sort of exclusivity agreement for a title to be carried, it pretty much restricts the title to Steam's billboard, and thus customer base. External channels(billboards in other workplaces) are closed off unless they are Steam's billboards which you likely have little control over(unless you pay them, presumably).

Steam does have a large customer base, a percentage of which might buy the game. Then again they might not, but any agreement with Steam regarding distribution and advertisement would still tie the hands of Matrix Games(assuming they aren't already tied by some other agreement). Steam isn't necessarily the Wiz-Bang magic pill that makes a game explode with success. Steam comes with its own baggage and needs to be carefully considered as such.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

Why is this issue cropping up again and again?
  • Eric has already checked with Steam and decided not to enter into a distribution contract with them.
  • Eric has all the information regarding their distribution agreement. That information is not public - the percentage that Steam takes is under NDA.
  • Matrix has been around for quite a long time, as game publishing companies go. Eric's judgment should be respected.
Doesn't it seem a bit daft to question his judgment without any knowledge of the facts involved in the business decision?
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Beag

Post by Beag »

ORIGINAL: Bebop Cola

In other words, Steam has the potential to increase awareness for the title and publisher amongst Steam users, but not really for people who aren't Steam users. Steam also has a high noise ratio. They have a lot of titles that compete for that billboard space. People might find the game or publisher with a search, but if they don't search the billboard value of Steam goes down a bit. Moreover, if Steam requires some sort of exclusivity agreement for a title to be carried, it pretty much restricts the title to Steam's billboard, and thus customer base. External channels(billboards in other workplaces) are closed off unless they are Steam's billboards which you likely have little control over(unless you pay them, presumably).

Considering their closest competitor would be the likes of, ahem, Sword of the Stars 2, I don´t think they´d have much to fear heh (not yet at least - SOTS has potential). Buy yes, they would have to submit to Steam terms, which might be expensive/harsh.
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

I offer to merge this thread with the previous one. We're not hearing much new things.
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

Return to “General Discussion”