custom races after recent updates

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Evrett

custom races after recent updates

Post by Evrett »

Hey there. I havnt played for a while and noticed that the betas added/changed/played with tech priorities and the stuff with designs. Does this mean I need to redo all my custom races? What files do I need to add? Has anyone updated the modding guide to reflect the recent changes ?
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan
tjhkkr

RE: custom races after recent updates

Post by tjhkkr »

Yes, the modding guide is very detailed.
IGard has done one.
I am working on one...
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Igard

Post by Igard »

I don't think the modding guide has been updated with the new tech priorities or design policies since those are still in beta.

They are easy to work with as you can just edit the policy files in-game.

Custom designs are different, you have to edit your ship designs and save them to a file, but you need all the correct tech researched so it's a massive amount of work to create a completely customised fleet of ships for all tech levels. Therefore, not for me, I'll stick with the new design policies.
Evrett

Post by Evrett »

I just remember getting all tripped up by the old file tree and want to avoid that if I can..
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan
Igard

Post by Igard »

If you haven't already, download my Picard era mod. Even if you're not interested in playing it, you can always have a wee look and see what I've done.

That's how I learned at first. I looked at Lordxorn's old Star Wars mod and decided to do the same with Trek. I just copied what he did. [:)]
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Some of the parameters you just have to mess around with to figure out what they do.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Evrett

Post by Evrett »

thx IGard..Il'l give that a whirl and see what I learn.

Return to “Design and Modding”