Best soviet defensive strategy 1941

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

matt.buttsworth

Best soviet defensive strategy 1941

Post by matt.buttsworth »

is it worth building fortified zones as soviets in 1941, or is it better to use precious ap poins to create more infanrty divisions?

Is it better to fight for every inch chequarboard style or run rabbit run?

Defend Leningradborvabandon it?

All thoughts welcome.

Mb
bigbaba

RE: Best soviet defensive strategy 1941

Post by bigbaba »

hi Mb,

from my limited experience the russian player should do the following things in 41:

-build a delay line at pskov in the north along the river. that should stop PG 4 for 1-2 turns. if you can hold leningrad until turn 10-11 you have done a great job. a good german player will capture leningrad anyway earlier or later.

-stop the fins in the far north of ladoga sea. reinforce the 7th ind. army. that saves you a lot of fortified regions at svir river. thanks to Flaviusx for that.

-in the center get everything into the landbridge/dnjepr line to prevent a early crossing. that will force the german panzers to wait for infantry to catch up and will cost him 3-4 turns until the infantry is in position. behind the dnjepr line build several digging armies (STAVKA armies with 3-4 construction SU's) and dig a fort 2 line between rzhev and bryansk. i dig more around the tula region because the terrain there is much better for panzer operations then the forrests west of moscow. use the rivers desna, bolva, oka.

hope that helps a bit.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Here are my tips from a couple of games and lots of time on this forum:

you should probably create a limited number of FZs; I create a few on the Finnish border, several around Moscow, and a few down at the gates of the Crimea.

Generally I avoid creating RifDivs for 40 AP, it is just not worth it. Starting with Turn 10, you will have a flood of RifDivs, you shouldn't really need any more. However, I do create RivDivs in 1942 as I lose units to encirclements and combine them into RifCorps.

You should neither fight for every inch nor run--generally have a picket line facing the Germans, with units to the rear in good terrain. Whatever you do you will get crushed, but you have to at least slow the Germans down...

You have to try to defend Lgrad, although you probably won't succeed. You need to at least tie up enough German units in the effort to make it impossible for the Germans to unleash these units on Moscow before the blizzard.
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

I don't spend APs on building new units in 41, they're too expensive and manpower going into them will mean starving existing units.
I don't see any reason to build FZs in 41 either.You have to absorb the energy of the German attack which means giving ground, lots of it at first.Solid lines are going to be broken and surrounded.Forts aren't reliable anyway and can easily be dismantled by pioneers.Base your defensive positions on terrain and use forts as backup.FZs are more useful in 42.
I spend APs on C&C and SUs in that order.

Be flexible in defense.Run where you have to, defend doggedly where you can get away with it without risking being pocketed.This often requires flank protection and can be difficult to judge.

I defend Leningrad to the extent that if they want it they'll have to fight hard for it.Hopefully for the entire 41 campaign season.This does mean losing some units in the city, although some of the stronger ones can sometimes be evacuated through Sviritsa at the last minute.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: timmyab
I don't see any reason to build FZs in 41 either.You have to absorb the energy of the German attack which means giving ground, lots of it at first.

But sometimes you can't/shouldn't give any more ground, and should at least try to hold your ground. In my view those places are Moscow and the Crimea (and the Finnish border, although that is a different situation).
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

Agree with Moscow.Not so sure about the Crimea or the Finnish border.
I defend the choke points in the Crimea and Sevastopol.I'm not going to make a huge thing out of it though.If they want the place that badly then they can have it as far as I'm concerned.The benefits or otherwise of occupying the Crimea would make for an interesting discussion.
I would only make a stand against the Finns if I intended to try and hold Leningrad throughout 41.Otherwise it's an army wasted that should be slowing down AGN.
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

North:
1. I allways build 1 fortification near leningrad, to fortify the Ladoga-Leningrad line. Expensive 16 AP, but it's necessary.
2. Try to slow the german operation around Pskov. 3 strong (4+ CV) other soviet soviet unit can avoit the early river cross (you need reinforcement from south-center to do that).
3. Fortify the swamps, and forest hexes with 3 unit stack. Useing the hedgehog defense will real slow the german, even if those troops will be encircled.
4. Build the luga line with units from south, or center on T02.
5. The german can HQ build his units after T04, so allways defend deep.

Center
1. Defend the Dnyepr river. Use the 7-10 CV tank units from the south front, particularly on the bulge of the river. The german can't cross the river on T02-04.
2. After T04 retreat from the river, if the german don't cross it, because he will have enough MP to encircle you, and the german infantry can support the attack.
3. In maintime build a chess board around Moscov.
4. Moscow is the front what you can defend well, so send here most of your reinforcements.
5. The german rail line will be close after T06-T07 (around Smolensk), so be carefull with the german mobility.

South
1. Retreat to the river
2. Leave Kiev empty, because you need the Bryansk front, and his 125 AP
3. Evacuate the industry. On T02-T07 you can evacuate most of the inustrial capacity except the Stalino area.
4. Send half of your forces (the better half) to the other fronts.
5. Use the chess board defense strategy.

general advise:
1. Never run back more then 4-5 hex. When you retreat, you must retrteat from the german infatry, and force the german motorized units to fight with you. The hasty attack is risky, but the deliberate attack need 15 MP, so allow the germans to fight with you.
2. Rail 2-3 cavalry unit, and use them to cut the german lines.
3. Try to send expendable units near the german motorized forces. The german can't refit his units near enemy.
4. Hit motorized units, if they stand alone in clear region, and you have chance to do it.
5. Don't spend your AP for fortification, of unit build. Use the AP for better leaders, and sapper units to the HQ.
6. Concentrate your air forces in one or two front. The fighter intercept must be 300%. Upgrade the air forces, after T05. In maintime send them to the reserve.
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Lot of good general advice here.

My personal take is a very limited number of fortified zones in the Moscow area. The Stalino area is also somewhat a good choice as you want to deny the Germans getting settled in there for the winter with the three cities together. In general, it should be situational due to their high cost. I don't make new counters in 1941, but do make up new support units, especially sapper regiments.

You need to commit enough to the defense of Leningrad to make a German who wants to take it commit all of AGN and then delay him long enough that while the forces of AGN may take Leningrad, there is not enough time for them to participate elsewhere along the front during the rest of the 1941 campaign. Oh, and you have to balance that with not taking a bath on a huge amount of losses either. ;)

In general, you want to try to set your skirmish line back far enough where the German infantry can't really help that much to clear your main pickets out and make the panzer/motorized forces do the work to clear lanes for the infantry and generally carry the offensive themselves. Doing this means they will become trashed that much quicker. You can only do this so much obviously, but you also don't want to get tons of units pocketed either. Having some units further up to flip territory back to Russian control does help as well and trying to keep a minimal amount of units next to the panzer/motorized formations will keep them from recovering as much in between turns.
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

ORIGINAL: timmyab

Agree with Moscow.Not so sure about the Crimea or the Finnish border.
I defend the choke points in the Crimea and Sevastopol.I'm not going to make a huge thing out of it though.If they want the place that badly then they can have it as far as I'm concerned.The benefits or otherwise of occupying the Crimea would make for an interesting discussion.
I would only make a stand against the Finns if I intended to try and hold Leningrad throughout 41.Otherwise it's an army wasted that should be slowing down AGN.

Unfortunately, while the real contestants cared a lot about the Crimea, in the game it is completely uninteresting. Another thing that might have benefitted from a better VP system.
------------------------------
RTW3 Designer
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

ORIGINAL: bigbaba

-stop the fins in the far north of ladoga sea. reinforce the 7th ind. army. that saves you a lot of fortified regions at svir river. thanks to Flaviusx for that.

I don't agree with Flaviusx about this. I think it is a waste of troops, and incurring avoidable losses. I wait until turn 3 (or is it 4) when FZs drop to 8 AP, then build a line of them along the Svir. Every unit saved from the Finnsih front can be crucial in the defense of Leningrad. When that falls, there is no reason to defend anything up there, so you can retreat back to the next lake, so it doesn't matter that the position falls apart.

Then of course when I disagree with Flaviusx, time will usually tell he was right all along [;)]
RTW3 Designer
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

The payoff for the strong defense against the Finns comes later on. If (when) Leningrad falls is when you really appreciate it because it allows you to immediately stabilize the situation. You can hold the line at the Volkhov river rather than falling back due to Finnish pressure on the Svir. I've seen too many games devolve into a sauve qui peut up north after Leningrad falls where the Soviet is running back practically to Yaroslavl. Screw that noise.

It also cramps the Axis ability to deploy the Finns as he wants and strip the north bare of German troops.

I also absolutely hate wasting APs on building forts as a general principle and the ideal number of forts for me in 1941 is in the low single digits. Throwing away an entire turn's worth of APs on forts along the Svir is not my idea of economy of force. It is cheaper to reinforce 7. Army.

WitE Alpha Tester
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

But the Finns are far stronger inside the Finn-no-attack line. If you fall back to the Onega-line, the Finns will start to deteriorate due to low morale and supply. They are easy to grind down in 1942 because of their low replacement rates, and then the Finns will become a problem for the Germans.
RTW3 Designer
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Yes, but in 1941 they are still dangerous. Eventually morale decay will render them useless, but if they can push the Sovs back a long ways in 41, the Soviets are going to have a rough time winning all that real estate back. And the Sovs won't have the +1 beni anymore.
WitE Alpha Tester
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

In my experience, logistics will stop them long before they reach anything important. And yes, it will be a hard time winning the terrain back, but then once Leningrad falls, the Northern theatre turns into a backwater. Campaigns are rarely decided up north. No side usually initiates a serious offensive up there. Too much bad terrain. So why not let the Finns advance, let them wither for a while, then grind them down and see them running back to the shortest possible front, with the Germans having to send reinforcements up north. That's fine with me, just as well as having a static front on the Volchov that will keep the Finns intact.
RTW3 Designer
Schmart

Post by Schmart »

Bah, I'm with Flavius. I try to hold back the Finns as long as possible. No retreat to the Svir line. I send my Naval Rifle Brigades to 7th Independent Army. It's pretty much the slowest and best defensible terrain on the whole eastern front. Why no use it? I'm not giving up anything I don't need to.

My general Russian strategy in 41 is to build layers of defense lines (you must have depth, but no carpet/checkerboard - that's gamey), using rivers and forests/swamps as much as possible. I put up my stand fast line in a semi-circle 4-6 hexes outside of Moscow, using forests/rivers, and placing a Fort every third hex to get at least a line of level 3 forts by the time the Germans get there. I wait until the cost of forts goes down to 8 APs before building. I also place one or two extra forts in the Lenningrad area to get more level 3's. 80% of my reinforcements go to the Lenningrad and Moscow fronts. Don't start building Rifle Divs until the cost is 10 APs in 1942 and only build to replace loses.
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Track his motorised/pz units all the time.

When you know where they are, check his railheads every turn

Then basically, what Callistrid said.

hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

I have to say, one of my games is the first where I have tried defending north of the no-attack line and I have come around on this - with minimal reinforcement you can slow the Finns up measurably...if you presume Leningrad is going to fall anyway at a certain point this gets you to a better place without wasting APs on FZs.

Blutch

Post by Blutch »

ORIGINAL: Callistrid

I do not understand what you mean.
I have hot only the Southwestern front around Kiev. If you let Kiev free you unlock Briansk ?
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

ORIGINAL: Blutch

I do not understand what you mean.
I have hot only the Southwestern front around Kiev. If you let Kiev free you unlock Briansk ?

Loosingt Kiev activate the Bryansk front, and all front activation gives you 125 AP.
125 AP could be important to have better leaders, units attachement...
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Loosingt Kiev activate the Bryansk front, and all front activation gives you 125 AP.
125 AP could be important to have better leaders, units attachement...

I don't really agree on this; I usually am not in desperate need of AP at this point in the game and would rather slow down the Germans by a turn (or half turn or whatever) by trying to hold Kiev.

Return to “The War Room”