What type(s) of firefights do you prefer?

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

Gil R.

What type(s) of firefights do you prefer?

Post by Gil R. »

We would very much like to get some feedback on the most popular types of firefights, so that when we prepare more we'll know how to focus efforts. If you have already had the game long enough to play multiple firefights please choose at least one option. And, of course, feel free to discuss. Thanks!
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Missouri_Rebel

RE: What type(s) of firefights do you prefer?

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I prefer a mix of all sizes. Not sure if that helps though.

Multiplayer has all been small so far because everyone has been new to the game and I didn't want to have anyone overwhelmed.

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

Extra large!
As ASL player I love the campaign games, the size does matter! [:D]

Bigger the firefight, lesser the lucky factor.
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]
blastpop

Post by blastpop »

Quantity has a quality all its own...

Seriously, the boardgame to me is best when there are a lot of different units that showcase their strengths and weakness' when there is a variety of units. 2-5 squads, while quick and instructive do little to showcase the strengths of the system.
Mark
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

The strengths of the system do come into play on 1 board maps, but that is very dependent on the unit mix and scenario objectives. 2 boards is where some real meaty scenarios can be created. 4 boards don't make the game feel any more alive just force you to pan a whole lop more, but there are a few good 4 board scenarios. 2 boards, or medium if you want to call it that, offer the best combo of richness without the headache of constant panning.
Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I have heard about MP lagging issues from a friend, so maybe smaller is better. Of course, not sure of his system type, etc.
wodin

Post by wodin »

I always like big maps with a medium amount of units. This way maneuverer becomes very important. A problem with some tactical games is the troops start ontop of each other.
jomni

Post by jomni »

Small.  The game takes ages (hours) to finish on Medium already.
IronFist00

Post by IronFist00 »

Small to medium map sizes for me. I find they get the most repeat plays, especially fitting them in on my laptop while my wife is watching TV. ;-)
JMass

Post by JMass »

Small or medium, I prefer to play 3 firefights rather just a large one.
"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection ... dgame&ff=1
z1812

Post by z1812 »

A medium to large map with 15 to 20 units. I like the maneuver aspect in tactical battles.
Charly G

Post by Charly G »

I would like a mix of medium and small firefights.
bill hunter

Post by bill hunter »

system shines on small i reckon
fentum

Post by fentum »

Small to medium please.

I enjoy restricted unit types. E.g. Infantry and support
Handyman777

Post by Handyman777 »

Small to medium, minimum # of units. Make each unit and each move count. If I want huge numbers of troops (each with numerous statistics, most of them meaningless) and meat grinder battles where tactics matter little, I'll play Total War.

Theres a pretty good game out there with only 6 different units and an 8X8 map. Its called chess, and its been around for over a 1000 years.
Handyman777

Post by Handyman777 »

One more IMPORTANT note: LESS artistic variation on the maps!! Clarity first.

1. Stone vs. Wood buildings: Stone buildings are a defensive strongpoint, its very important to recognize them immediately. As the game stands now, you can't tell the difference between stone and wood; you have to pan to every building and remember which are stone and wood. Ummm, I could take notes....

2. Light woods vs. Heavy woods: These too are important for defensive cover. Its fairly clear already, but could use improvement. Make each uniform; every light woods hex and every heavy woods hex the same. On large maps, we need to be able to differentiate at a glance.

3. These are minor tweaks, hope I dont sound like I'm complaining. I'm trying to make a great game even greater!!! thanks for the wonderful work.....
Jamm

Post by Jamm »

Do you use the boardgame style maps?
You can differentiate these things much easier than the 3dmaps.

Light and heavy woods are different colours.
I do my wood buildings shades of brown and stone shades of grey. Standard practice.
Though not all the scenarios have the boardgame style maps.
When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro
Hunter S Thompson

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamm-wor ... =bookmarks

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”