The Stalingrad Withdrawal Decision

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Great_Ajax

The Stalingrad Withdrawal Decision

Post by Great_Ajax »

First of all, before I go into the specifics, I am not going to get dragged down into a mud slinging heated debate over this. I am simply presenting the facts of this contested issue and the factors behind it.

1. Why is the German player punished by having the entire 6th Army withdraw when it was destroyed around the end of January 1943?

A. The German player is not being punished for the 6th Army being destroyed. The German player has to deal with the siphoning off of combat resources to the Western and Italian Fronts. It just happens that these resources belonged to units that were rebuilding from the shattered 6th Army and sent to Italy in the summer of 1943. There are numerous other examples of units destroyed in pockets that are not withdrawn. The forces destroyed in Bagration and The Rumanian Iasi-Khisinev operation are also not withdrawn from the game because they were destroyed. The ONLY reason for a unit being withdrawn from the game is if that unit got re-deployed to another theater. If there is a unit in the game that gets withdrawn and it should not be, by all means let me know. I think it is a reasonable design decision that the OKH player have resources withdrawn as part of a multi-front conflict. Now the method in which this has been implemented is debatable. I personally prefer the holding box method which is being implemented in WitW.

B. Not all of the 6th Army units destroyed are withdrawn in the game. Here is a list which shows seven of the twenty divisions get withdrawn to other theaters. Notice that the 6th Army does not go *Poof* on 31 January 1943.

44th Infantry Division - no withdrawal
71st Infantry Division - withdraws 12 August 1943 to Italy
76th Infantry Division - no withdrawal
79th Infantry Division - no withdrawal
94th Infantry Division - withdraws 15 April 1943 to Italy
100th Jager Division - no withdrawal
113th Infantry Division - no withdrawal
295th Infantry Division - withdraws 22 July 1943 to Norway
297th Infantry Division - withdraws 17 June 1943 to Serbia
305th Infantry Division - withdraws 11 March 1943 to Italy
371st Infantry Division - no withdrawal
376th Infantry Division - no withdrawal
384th Infantry Division - no withdrawal
389th Infantry Division - no withdrawal

3rd Motorized Division - withdraws 27 May 1943 to Italy
29th Motorized Division - withdraws 20 May 1943 to Italy
60th Motorized Division - withdraws 27 May 1943 but rebuild as the FHH PzG Division so really not a withdrawal

14th Panzer Division - no withdrawal
16th Panzer Division - no withdrawal
24th Panzer Division - no withdrawal

C. The "Replacement Army Assumption". There is a circulated belief that if these units were not destroyed at Stalingrad, then the replacement army would have shipped other formations to the West and Italy with manpower that was not used to rebuild the shattered 6th Army. This is an assumption at best and one that is clearly an unknown. Germany was loathe to make any manpower adjustment unless a crisis forced the administration to make changes. You can look at the Barbarossa Plan - 250k replacements planned for the operation with over a million sustained losses through January 1942. It wasn't until December-January 1942 that Hitler agreed to move a portion workers from the factories and into combat units. Losses dictated that homeland defense flak units were manned by teenagers. It took the diasters of Bagration, Iasi, and Normandy in the Summer of 1944 for the Germans to finally ruthlessly comb through their bloated Armed Forces manpower to get the needed manpower to the combat units. This is obviously a highly debatable topic with merits on both sides of the argument. The fact is that it is unknown what would have happened if the Stalingrad diaster did not occur. Would Germany have sent other units? Don't know. Would Germany have sent even more units in an attempt to utterly crush the landings since it had the extra assets available? Again, dunno. In the end, the developers choose the rout in which the German player would have to feel the strain of commitments to other fronts and I don't feel that is unreasonable.

Trey
"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer
Klydon

RE: The Stalingrad Withdrawal Decision

Post by Klydon »

Thanks for the info Trey and some good points here.

One thing that has always bugged me that you may be able to help with is that when withdrawing, units are first brought up to full strength before withdrawing when in fact a lot of formations transferred when they were depleted. They were brought up to strength and then sent to other theaters (or rehabilitated in other theaters like France before the landings).

While I understand this might be a game and programing decision (game decision based on preventing abuse by players to totally wreck a formation just as it is withdrawing and programing decision in that everything is the same, so easier to code), it still isn't right and the German player is forced to deal with it. I wish I had a easy solution from the standpoint that the Germans already abuse units set to withdraw from a moral standpoint of view and tend to take better care of units they know will be in theater for the long haul. Perhaps a solution would be to introduce a random factor so that instead of knowing for fact that no matter what, the 94th infantry division is going to withdraw on 15 April 1943, the AI instead picks a division at random and the player gets the two turn notice as usual. Some divisions you can't get around this issue (7th Flieger for example), but for the standard divisions, it could be possible.
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

Thanks for the explanation Trey! I am totally happy with that.

@ Klydon: That suggestion has some merit, but not sure it would be possible to implement. Some units come and go, and there would have to be several types of divisions infantry, panzer, mot, SS etc. It might get complicated.
------------------------------
RTW3 Designer
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

There were a few reasons for the rebuild in the east before withdrawal. You mentioned the obvious one which was to prevent player abuse by wearing out units they know will be withdrawn. Second, we use very general percentages for replacements in manpower and equipment going east versus west. We think that charging the player from the "east" pool for rebuilding these was reasonable. You can argue that this alters the percentages that should be used, and you're welcome to do a study of east versus west and let us know if you feel are percentages are off. We felt doing it this way was the best way to have players take responsibility for the losses they are taking in the Eastern Front.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Great_Ajax

Post by Great_Ajax »

Klydon, I really don't like the withdrawal system myself and there could be some better ways of implementing the loss of these resources without a lock step rigid system. What I really don't like is that the withdrawal schedule is clearly known without any changes. I would be all for a more flexible system with some more randomness thrown in for uncertainty. I think that the game needs to model resources being withdrawn, I just wish it was a little more dynamic and even unpredictable at times.

I agree with you as well on rebuilding the withdrawing units but you are totally correct on the reasoning. The rule is there to prevent abuse of players recklessly using these units in suicide missions since they are withdrawing anyways.

Trey
ORIGINAL: Klydon

Thanks for the info Trey and some good points here.

One thing that has always bugged me that you may be able to help with is that when withdrawing, units are first brought up to full strength before withdrawing when in fact a lot of formations transferred when they were depleted. They were brought up to strength and then sent to other theaters (or rehabilitated in other theaters like France before the landings).

While I understand this might be a game and programing decision (game decision based on preventing abuse by players to totally wreck a formation just as it is withdrawing and programing decision in that everything is the same, so easier to code), it still isn't right and the German player is forced to deal with it. I wish I had a easy solution from the standpoint that the Germans already abuse units set to withdraw from a moral standpoint of view and tend to take better care of units they know will be in theater for the long haul. Perhaps a solution would be to introduce a random factor so that instead of knowing for fact that no matter what, the 94th infantry division is going to withdraw on 15 April 1943, the AI instead picks a division at random and the player gets the two turn notice as usual. Some divisions you can't get around this issue (7th Flieger for example), but for the standard divisions, it could be possible.
"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Having a system that asked the player to voluntarily withdraw a certain amount of formations with only a little notice and based on some kind of randomization around a norm could of course be done. It would involve more coding and more interface. Sometimes decisions get made because they're not considered essential and it's better to take the easy/quick approach. If we didn't approach the game with this attitude I don't think we'd ever get one of these monsters released. Some prefer historical withdrawals, and for smaller scenarios it's essential, so that has to be an option in any case. So doing something different for the grand campaign means extra work.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Naughteous Maximus

Post by Naughteous Maximus »

You forgot the 384th Infantry division. This division except the HQ elements, was encircled in Stalingrad with the rest of the 6th Armee and destroyed.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

384th Inf was reconstituted in France in Apr 43.

Trained in France Apr-Oct 43.

Afterward, Oct 43-44, was in action Eastern front til it was destroyed in Aug 44.

Officially disbanded Oct 44.

To borrow Trey's list.

71st Infantry Division -Reconstituted in Denmark Mar 43
94th Infantry Division - Reconstituted in Brittany Mar 43
295th Infantry Division - Reconstituted in Saxony Mar 43
297th Infantry Division - Reconstitued near Blaye-et-St. Luce France Mar-jun 43
305th Infantry Division - Reconstituted near Le Mans France Mar 43

3rd Motorized Division - Reconstituted in France 43
29th Motorized Division - Reconstituted in France Mar 1943
60th Motorized Division - Reconstituted in France Feb 43
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
RCHarmon

Post by RCHarmon »

In this discussion, in the past, I have held the opinion that it is a minor issue. It has been stated that this particular issue is easily resolved in the editor.

The more important issue for the Axis player is TOE, TOE upgrades, C&C, moral. In trying to field the most effective army possible it is these items that are the most influential.

The TOE, Toe upgrades and even the C&C should be dealt with in another way. One that considers available manpower. I think it is the devs design decision that any excess from the Eastern Front probably would have been sent West and the Axis should consider these issues in that respect. This is an assumption that cannot be argued to the Axis players satisfaction.

C&C doesn't work as designed and causes a lot of frustration to both sides.

The Moral model (in my opinion) doesn't work very well. I'd like to see it represented in another way.

The Stalingrad issue has taken up a life of its own. It is too bad such a minor issue has taken up so much discussion; and since it is mod-able it would be better to discuss the other more important issues that cannot be modded. Even if the discussion only makes a future game better.

I am aware that TOE changes can be made in the editor. The C&C and national moral cannot be. Making a mod agreeable to both sides may prove problematic. It is easier if things are coded or changes are allowed within game parameters.
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Part of the issue with mods is the community has shown no inclination that they would be receptive to anything any player came up with. I am not sure as to why this is, except perhaps any changes would supposedly favor one side or the other at which point the other side would dismiss it out of hand. At this point it would have to be something that is done by the staff/testers (which they don't have time to test/develop) in order to make it "official".
janh

Post by janh »

Trey, Joel, just to clarify what I think to recall from your earlier explanations:

The resources used to reconstitute these historically destroyed formations are figured into the resource pools that the German player gets, right?
(a) Meaning that if 6th is not destroyed, in essence what is happening is that he experienced formations leave, but at least the replacements can make up for the numerical loss by boosting the remainder of the Eastern Wehrmacht? So in principle you "just" loose some shells?
(b) If 6th Army were to be destroyed in your particular game, then you are going to see things happen just they way they did back then, i.e. units being rebuild from the pools before leaving. So net, no difference here?

Sounds like an alternative solution to case (a) would be if the engine would create some "extra" shells that the player could then fill or disband (in case the remainder of his units were in acceptable shape), or even better, the player could decide to built extra units.

Trey, I agree with more randomization and uncertainty, as well as the idea to have players determine which sufficiently powerful formations could be easily spared in the actual game. Ultimately I think the combat boxes in old days were a neat little idea. I am already very curious about the new boxes system in WitW!
jaw

Post by jaw »

ORIGINAL: el hefe

Klydon, I really don't like the withdrawal system myself and there could be some better ways of implementing the loss of these resources without a lock step rigid system. What I really don't like is that the withdrawal schedule is clearly known without any changes. I would be all for a more flexible system with some more randomness thrown in for uncertainty. I think that the game needs to model resources being withdrawn, I just wish it was a little more dynamic and even unpredictable at times.

Sorry Trey but I have to disagree with you on that one. You get advanced notice on when a unit is going to withdraw so randomizing the date has no practical game effect beyond shifting the date a combat unit comes off the line in preparation for withdrawal. Like random weather it just adds goofyness in the guise of realism. A better solution would be to allow the Axis player to delay withdrawal at a cost in victory points.
Bronze

Post by Bronze »

Sorry Trey but I have to disagree with you on that one. You get advanced notice on when a unit is going to withdraw so randomizing the date has no practical game effect beyond shifting the date a combat unit comes off the line in preparation for withdrawal. Like random weather it just adds goofyness in the guise of realism. A better solution would be to allow the Axis player to delay withdrawal at a cost in victory points.

.... or AP points.
RCHarmon

Post by RCHarmon »

ORIGINAL: janh

Trey, Joel, just to clarify what I think to recall from your earlier explanations:

The resources used to reconstitute these historically destroyed formations are figured into the resource pools that the German player gets, right?
(a) Meaning that if 6th is not destroyed, in essence what is happening is that he experienced formations leave, but at least the replacements can make up for the numerical loss by boosting the remainder of the Eastern Wehrmacht? So in principle you "just" loose some shells?
(b) If 6th Army were to be destroyed in your particular game, then you are going to see things happen just they way they did back then, i.e. units being rebuild from the pools before leaving. So net, no difference here?

Sounds like an alternative solution to case (a) would be if the engine would create some "extra" shells that the player could then fill or disband (in case the remainder of his units were in acceptable shape), or even better, the player could decide to built extra units.

I'd like to see a response to this.
notenome

Post by notenome »

I agree with Von Hindenburg, using AP points to delay withdrawals would make more sense, and the Axis has an overflow of APs, anyway. I completely agree with the op, though there is one thing that I don't if the game takes into account. Basing myself off of Rauss's book, German generals constantly improvised ways of drawing off more manpower. These included using HQ staff, dismounted panzer units, artillerymen, and air base crews as combat units (to hold sections of the front or as reserves). Many of the changes that began as improvisations would latter be included formally in the eastern front. Now of course improvisation is not limited to any side in the conflict, but the Wehrmacht was more receptive to improvisation than any other army of the time.

What I suggest (and I apologize if this is running away from the original post, but hefe's last part reminded me of this) is that German formations be allowed to canabalize their own organic reserves in order to maintain combat effectiveness. For example, if a division's combat power goes down to 50% of its paper value, it organically converts some support squads into rifle squads. Or if a below set strength division is attacked, it converts some support squads into rifle squads to try to boost its combat power.

I also find that something similair is desperately needed for panzer divisions, as most of the crews of knocked out tanks, particularly in 41, kept fighting. By the winter many of the panzer divisions had become de facto understrength infantry divs. But this is going waaaay off topic.
Bronze

Post by Bronze »

To offer an idea on the withdraw: include a pop-up to withdraw the unit and maybe highlight units that withdraw in 2 turns or are past due, pink perhaps. If you click "withdraw" before its due, you get a few AP points. Each addititional turn past the withdraw you pay an exponential amount of AP points: 1st turn 5, 2nd 10, 3rd 20.... (or thereabouts). If a player lacks the AP points, the unit withdraws. It would however be nice for the unit to be highlighted within a couple of turns of withdrawing so that divisions in key points don't disappear at key times.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

What I see is a request for German players to be able to postpone withdrawing units by spending APs, something people have noted they have in abundance later in the war. I can see the desire to pick which units withdraw, but how would it be right to let the Germans keep more resources on the Eastern Front than they had in the war without a cost? What if you had to pay APs to get your reinforcement units? In that case it might come out fair, but then that's a lot of new code and balancing for what real gain? I understand you want flexibility, but remember you are still only the East Front commander and are not running the entire war. We would need to implement a West Front holding box to make that make sense.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

but remember you are still only the East Front commander and are not running the entire war

Some players need reminding of this fact. In relation to certain large scale withdrawal strategies.... [8|]
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

One of the problems in the game is that the Axis Player is just the Eastern Front commander but the Soviet Player is the Soviet commander - so we have Halder vs Stalin rather than Hitler vs Stalin. This will not change much in WitW except that you then have the Allied Player as the Commander of both the US and Great Britain, although both have units fighting elsewhere, it is nowhere close to the Axis Player (Western Front commander) dealing with the demands of the Eastern Front.

It is WiE where the Axis will finally get what they are demanding now - complete control while the Soviet will remain in the overall commander spot and the US and Great Britain spots will be the ones complaining because of their lack of control over the Pacific Theater requirements . . .

Yep, it will never end.
Schmart

Post by Schmart »

ORIGINAL: carlkay58

One of the problems in the game is that the Axis Player is just the Eastern Front commander but the Soviet Player is the Soviet commander - so we have Halder vs Stalin rather than Hitler vs Stalin.

Actually, the Russian player is a little below Stalin. While he can create new units he can't, for instance, pull additional troops away from the Far Eastern or northern Karelian Fronts, or decide not to occupy Iran, etc.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”