First strike thoughts PBEM (opinions needed)

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Hanzberger

First strike thoughts PBEM (opinions needed)

Post by Hanzberger »

I am finally about to embark onto my first PBEM game.
My opponent wants a rule of 'one strike on the first strike' rule. location can vary

What is your thoughts/experiences on this?
Thanks
Scen 1

I think if it was Scen 2 I would just accept this.
Planning for #17 Ironman Tier2

Japan AC wire chart here
tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?
armin

RE: First strike thoughts PBEM (opinions needed)

Post by armin »

I would advise you to limit the one strike rule only if you choose PH.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger

I am finally about to embark onto my first PBEM game.
My opponent wants a rule of 'one strike on the first strike' rule. location can vary

What is your thoughts/experiences on this?
Thanks
Scen 1

I think if it was Scen 2 I would just accept this.
Hanzberger,

My default is for port strikes on turn 1 only on one side of the international date line. If he wants to use KB to blast Hawaii, then he doesn't get freebie port strikes on Manila on turn one and vice versa.
Hanzberger

Post by Hanzberger »

So basically, pick a port and bombs away, right CB? I can live with that. But how many days?
Planning for #17 Ironman Tier2

Japan AC wire chart here
tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

IMO, the Western (Asian) side of the international dateline would permit port strikes on Singapore, Hong Kong and Manila with whatever means necessary. Obviously, PH would be the port du jour on the Eastern (North American) side of the international date line.

If you are doing 1 day turns, then the duration of attacks is at the IJ player's discretion. If you are doing two day turns, you may have to arrange some 'accomodation' to allow IJ surprise on day one but permit some of the opponent's shipping to get to sea on day 2, as they would have done IRL.

obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger

So basically, pick a port and bombs away, right CB? I can live with that. But how many days?

A better clarification is only CV strikes at one port. IJN bombers should be able to hit the port or fields in the DEI and PI on day one. You just have to choose if you value hitting aircraft at Clark or subs at Manilla. You won't hit many, but a few is still nice.

At PH many players go as many as three days. Depends on which mod you're playing. A DBB mod and I would only hit PH once as the flak would hurt for day two. But Scen 1 or 2 vanilla many players stay 2-3 days. You just risk the usual forays out at your CVs with multiple DD and PT TFs plus the subs.

If you go to Manilla you'll most likely only get one good day no matter what, as everything else will bug out.

Good luck and I think you'll really enjoy PBEM. It gets the blood flowing a bit more when you watch the replays!
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Return to “The War Room”